Band of Brothers

dizzie

Triggered Happy
My grandfather was in Italy. He would never talk about it. I remember finding a box of stuff in his closet once when I was young but don't remember details.

When my Dad died a little while ago, we scrounged up the grandfather's stash. A map of their route through southern Italy with notes. An AA shell with initials and a date punched into it. Some coins, medals, usual stuff. A piece of shrapnel I recall the old man saying he pried out of a doorframe after it almost hit him.

Yeah, nowadays young adults get PTSD when their Skip The Dishes/Uber Eats is 5 minutes late or is missing a condiment. Or if they have to actually talk to someone face to face, or, God forbid, on the PHONE. Hard to believe the tribulations those war generations endured.

I think when my Grandfather went to regimental reunion things, they were a way of dealing with the ptsd. These guys didn't want to talk to other people about the shit they saw and experienced. He used to be away for a few days at a time, I've got a feeling he used to get blitzed as he liked a beer or two. You can't really talk about the experiences of war with anyone else because people can't understand it unless they experience it first hand.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
man these overhead animated battle maps are cool

there must be a better movie than ben affleck pearl harbor???

dizzie

Triggered Happy
man these overhead animated battle maps are cool

I think the best documentaries on WW2 are the Battlefield series. They cover the large WW2 engagements with analysis of the battlefield, profile the main players and go in depth into the strategy and thinking.

The best documentary series on the war in general is of course World at War, that series is mindblowing due to the people featured.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

From an accuracy perspective, Tora! Tora! Tora!

If you didn't like the slowness of The Pacific you certainly wont like that movie though. It looks at both sides, and depicts the Japanese preparation VS the American normal daily grind (and mistakes made), ahead of the battle, with only the last ~3rd of the movie spent on the attack.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Here is the autist "historian" on Tora! Tora! Tora! accuracy:

This channel, which is mostly ancient battle tactics, with some overarching strategy built in, has started a series on WW2 pacific (there are 3 videos preceding these, on the lead up to war):

This one is much like the video linked above, a top down view of the Pearl Harbor attack.​
This goes into detail of what the rest of the Japanese fleet did in conjunction with Pearl Harbor.​

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If you wanted a series more in the style of Band of Brothers but set in the Pacific, you could probably follow the First Marine Raiders through Tulagi and Guadalcanal.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I only tried the Pacific in its first run, got 2/3rds the way through. It was too much of a brutal grind.

I can remember a scene where one soldier with a 1000 yard stare was casually tossing small rocks the were going into the top of the open skull of a dead jap.

There was a little splash of water each time. Gross as fuck. I'm sure it was supposed to show the effects of the horrors of combat etc. Kills your own humanity.

But pretty sure that's what ended me watching the show.

Cybsled

If you wanted a series more in the style of Band of Brothers but set in the Pacific, you could probably follow the First Marine Raiders through Tulagi and Guadalcanal.

I mean 1st Marine Division you could do from Guadalcanal through Okinawa technically (like Pacific did), but the 1st got decimated during Pellilu badly. My grandfather was wounded 1st day and then even more seriously wounded and put into a coma on the 3rd day. He was convinced he wouldn't have survived the battle if that hadn't happened.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
From an accuracy perspective, Tora! Tora! Tora!

If you didn't like the slowness of The Pacific you certainly wont like that movie though. It looks at both sides, and depicts the Japanese preparation VS the American normal daily grind (and mistakes made), ahead of the battle, with only the last ~3rd of the movie spent on the attack.
holy shit this movie so old
775bd07265b0b4e0580e21fd6aad08f4.png

i dig it tho, loads better than the pacific at least

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I think The Pacific sucks if you don't really care about the human condition or the toll war takes on a man's psyche. If you're just excited about, "WOAH PEW PEW SO KEWL!", Pacific seems super boring compared to BoB.

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
The Pacific did a piss poor job of recreating the fire fight that got John Basilone his Medal of Honor as well as his heroic death on Iwo Jima.

But I did enjoy the smoking hot chick Leckie got to plow in Australia.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I said it before but the books that were the basis for The Pacific (My Helmet for a Pillow and For the Old Breed) were great. The show just wasn't super interesting. The books are still a little memorable many years later but all I can recall from the show is following around the medal of honor dude in a military hospital or training camp thing as an instructor, not doing much and then going back in to combat and dying while the whole time his arc is playing out I'm just bored.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
My gramps served in The Pacific during WW2 and not ever once talked about what he did or saw. Would get mad if you even asked. He was pretty adamant that his son not join the military and was furious for a long time when he did.

I have one pic of him in front of bomber nose pin up looking like a skeleton at 135 lbs (he was 195 before he went) and I have a Japanese officers katana he brought back. And the Zippo he carried and a silver ID bracelet he wore from his wife.

Island hopping to fight Japs was obviously a brutal experience, and from the stories, much worse than going after Germans in Africa and Europe.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
My gramps served in The Pacific during WW2 and not ever once talked about what he did or saw. Would get mad if you even asked. He was pretty adamant that his son not join the military and was furious for a long time when he did.

I have one pic of him in front of bomber nose pin up looking like a skeleton at 135 lbs (he was 195 before he went) and I have a Japanese officers katana he brought back. And the Zippo he carried and a silver ID bracelet he wore from his wife.

Island hopping to fight Japs was obviously a brutal experience, and from the stories, much worse than going after Germans in Africa and Europe.

Considering the Japanese would decapitate you and put your sliced off balls in your mouth... lol

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Considering the Japanese would decapitate you and put your sliced off balls in your mouth... lol

If you got captured by the Germans you had a good honest chance of making it through intact, something like a coin flip. That was not the case with the Japanese. I think it was Flags of Our Fathers where the one dude's friend gets kidnapped and when they eventually find him he's been mutilated with his genitals in his mouth? Unit 731 also sounded completely bananas even in comparison to what the Germans were doing.

• 2Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>

Japanese soldiers were ISIS before anyone knew what Jihad meant. Only enemy worse were the fucking Muslim Moros in the Philippines, the US Army literally had to go find bigger bullets and a better pistol to stop their machete charges.

• 2Like

Cybsled

Well for Germany, you still had a number of people in the Wehrmacht who still prescribed to the traditional European rules of war.

The Imperial Japanese army you had a whole slew of issues. Take the racism of the SS, and combine it with a warped Bushido code and massive abuse of their conscripts, and you had a recipe for disaster.

Unit 371 was fucking horrifying and a whole different beast

Pacific fighting was just brutal, though. I remember when I was younger, I asked my grandfather what kind of weapons he carried around. He listed most of the standard stuff you'd expect, then he mentioned a hatchet and remarked that he got really good at throwing it. He never elaborated on that, although that probably speaks a lot to the type of fighting they were involved in. I remember when he would come down for breakfast in the morning and his knuckles were sometimes bloody looking, because he would have still have nightmares about the war and basically strike out and usually injure himself when he would hit the nightstand or whatever.

• 2Like

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I am sure most of you already know, but Dan Carlin's Supernova in the East gives a great rundown on all this stuff. I never knew much about this side of the war and it was pretty eye opening.