Band of Brothers

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Randomly typed foy on google maps. Lots of merorable and statues for the 101st. Does anyone know of a good travel guide / homage route? I'd love to go some day. American's finally getting into the war on d-day, give or take 8+ years, is the reason I'm not speaking german right now. Also I think jumping out of an airplane to kill gnatzies is ballsy.
At E08 Patrol atm.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I am sure most of you already know, but Dan Carlin's Supernova in the East gives a great rundown on all this stuff. I never knew much about this side of the war and it was pretty eye opening.
Can't recommend this enough. It's where I learned about how badass Aussies used to be.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Re-watching now since wife has never seen it and we have HBO for House of the Dragon. She's 100% invested after episode 1.

The actual WW2 vet interviews really get you. Damn what a show. 👍

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Re-watching now since wife has never seen it and we have HBO for House of the Dragon. She's 100% invested after episode 1.

let me guess

"THAT'S FUCKING ROSS!!!"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Janx

<Silver Donator>
let me guess

"THAT'S FUCKING ROSS!!!"
I bet its worse than that, "THATS JIMMY FALLON"

1666495445096.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Ross was the perfect casting for that character, they knew what they were doing.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden

When Babe chokes up talking about losing their friends. Man oh man I cry every time. Fucking legends and heroes went through hell.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Motherfucking Magneto and Professor X was in this.

• 1Like

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Also Marky Mark's brother as soon as you hear his voice.

• 1Like

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Ross was the perfect casting for that character, they knew what they were doing.

I remember hating his character so much first time I saw the show. I saw it again last year on tv, and David really put in a stellar performance.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Recently re-watched this and it's still great, even on about 5th run through. The final monologue where he talks about what happened to some of the guys is the bit that gets me.

As for the interviews, yeah they're great too. I actually bumped into Major John Howard in 84 or 85, when I was on holiday in Normandy with my parents. He was in France for either the 40th of D-day or of VE day, hey it's a long time ago I can't recall. He was the officer who led the glider attacks on Pegasus bridge on D-day and the stories from someone who was actually there were amazing. He stood with me, my brother and dad for about an hour pointing out where the gliders landed/crashed, the German counter attack etc. he couldn't have been nicer. Really helped bring it home talking to someone who was actually there, at the place it happened.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Recently re-watched this and it's still great, even on about 5th run through. The final monologue where he talks about what happened to some of the guys is the bit that gets me.

As for the interviews, yeah they're great too. I actually bumped into Major John Howard in 84 or 85, when I was on holiday in Normandy with my parents. He was in France for either the 40th of D-day or of VE day, hey it's a long time ago I can't recall. He was the officer who led the glider attacks on Pegasus bridge on D-day and the stories from someone who was actually there were amazing. He stood with me, my brother and dad for about an hour pointing out where the gliders landed/crashed, the German counter attack etc. he couldn't have been nicer. Really helped bring it home talking to someone who was actually there, at the place it happened.
That had to be amazing. I went on a tour of the USS Yorktown in SC once and our guide served on the carrier during WWII. His commentary was more fascinating that the ship.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Here's another: My aunties neighbour was a boy sailor on HMS Marlborough, the battleship that went to rescue what was left of the Russian royal family in 1919. He became a colour sergeant in the royal marines and served in ww2 too, he also had some great stories. Took me and my brother to the marines museum in Portsmouth, strange then as all the staff knew him, he was basically an exhibit.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm going through The Pacific right now. Starting episode 5. This show doesn't really have any of the same draw as BOB

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Also Marky Mark's brother as soon as you hear his voice.
At this point I would be more likely to refer to Mark as Donnie's brother, he's distinguished himself quite well with his acting roles.

Also while I do love BoB they left a few things out, some trivial, some major, and at least one creative liberty they took was detestable and I'm surprised his surviving family didn't sue Hanks for slander.

Trivial: that German PoW Malarkey was chatting with on D-day? They weren't just from the same area of Oregon, they worked across the street from one another.

Minor: several surviving members of the 101st thought the show went overboard vilifying Sobel and credit the training he put them through for being the reason they survived the war.

Major: The nurse that they portray Roe meeting, Renee Lemaire, did not die in the bombing. She helped six men escape the burning building and died trying to save a seventh.

Major: Not entirely the shows fault because the survivors of the 101st lost contact with him and the author of the book didn't perform due diligence but Blithe didn't die in 1948. He was actually shot in the collarbone and made a full recovery. Went on to receive both bronze and silver stars for gallantry for his actions during the Korean War and died in 1967 in Germany of a perforated ulcer of all things.

Unforgivable: "Foxhole Norman" was actually a recipient of two bronze stars for gallantry, one of which he earned in Bastogne when "he personally removed from an exposed position, in full enemy view, three wounded members of his company, while under intense small arms fire". He did "fall apart" during the attack on Foy according to Lipton but he was shot in the shoulder, it wasn't just incompetence and cowardice. Winters' personal dislike of Dike probably had a strong influence on the way he was portrayed in the show.