Band of Brothers

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I'm going through The Pacific right now. Starting episode 5. This show doesn't really have any of the same draw as BOB

Boy, and it never develops it either.

I will say though that the books it uses for its source material (My Helmet for a Pillow + For the Old Breed) are each much better than the book that is the foundation of Band of Brothers. The Band of Brothers one was dry and not all that insightful. I mean to get to the memoirs of Dick Winters eventually but it's pretty low on my list at the moment.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brikker

Trump's Staff
There was a 20-year anniversary podcast, each episode with a different cast/creator, that is worth listening to imo if you love BoB. They go over some of the errors and whatnot as well. Some good stories about training for the show and being with the original soldiers.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Boy, and it never develops it either.

I will say though that the books it uses for its source material (My Helmet for a Pillow + For the Old Breed) are each much better than the book that is the foundation of Band of Brothers. The Band of Brothers one was dry and not all that insightful. I mean to get to the memoirs of Dick Winters eventually but it's pretty low on my list at the moment.
The ending to The Pacific went a long way into redeeming the relatively undeveloped stories/characters in the show for me. That ending scene when he returns home was fucking rough and I thought did a great job of portraying what a lot of those dudes must've gone through psychologically.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

The ending the The Pacific went a long way into redeeming the relatively undeveloped stories/characters in the show for me. That ending scene when he returns home was fucking rough and I thought did a great job of portraying what a lot of those dudes must've gone through psychologically.

The final episode addressing PTSD was good I agree. My grandfather fought in a good chunk of the battles portrayed in the show and looking back, it's clear he had a lot of unresolved PTSD from his time there. Even 60+ years later, he had horrible nightmares and would strike out in his sleep.

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
My mom's dad fought in the Pacific with the Marines and then went on the career ladder in the Army post-war. He died from cancer around 1959. I never met him (I'm only 38).

My dad's dad would be 131 years old if he was still alive today. He was born in the fucking 1800's! Never got to meet him either, of course.

I sincerely miss that I never had the opportunity to know these men, if for nothing else than to interact with two people from a completely different world than the one I live in today.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
My mom's dad fought in the Pacific with the Marines and then went on the career ladder in the Army post-war. He died from cancer around 1959. I never met him (I'm only 38).

My dad's dad would be 131 years old if he was still alive today. He was born in the fucking 1800's! Never got to meet him either, of course.

I sincerely miss that I never had the opportunity to know these men, if for nothing else than to interact with two people from a completely different world than the one I live in today.
All we know about my paternal grandfather's service was that he was an engineer in the pacific but whatever he saw/did over there completely fucking ruined him. If it weren't for the paradoxical problem of my dad and thus me never being born then I'd just as soon he never came back due to how terrible he was to my grandmother. Nobody ever came out and said it but from little things that have slipped I'm pretty sure he was awful to his kids (my dad/aunts/uncle) during their childhood too. I'm sorry for what he endured in service to his country but I swear I still see him in the way my dad behaves sometimes and I wish I could reach back through time and slap the shit out of him.

• 1Like