Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
He looks closer to Christopher Reeves than he does Superman, you mean. Christopher Reeves didn't really look like comic book Clark Kent, but he was the actor that portrayed him, so a lot of the older generation folk who saw/loved those films (myself being one of them, of course) equates that look to what Superman should be, when in reality it's just our memory of what Superman was portrayed as in the past that colors our perspective. Reeves will always be Superman in my mind, but it doesn't mean he looked like the character he was portraying all that well. Cavill had a much closer physique to Superman's, but he looked almost nothing like Reeves. Routh looks like a younger version of Reeves (with some tweeks) so in your mind he looks more like Superman. It's just a thing, ya know?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
He looks closer to Christopher Reeves than he does Superman, you mean. Christopher Reeves didn't really look like comic book Clark Kent, but he was the actor that portrayed him, so a lot of the older generation folk who saw/loved those films (myself being one of them, of course) equates that look to what Superman should be, when in reality it's just our memory of what Superman was portrayed as in the past that colors our perspective. Reeves will always be Superman in my mind, but it doesn't mean he looked like the character he was portraying all that well. Cavill had a much closer physique to Superman's, but he looked almost nothing like Reeves. Routh looks like a younger version of Reeves (with some tweeks) so in your mind he looks more like Superman. It's just a thing, ya know?
What he said. And without getting into a fight about it, I agree that if there had never been any Superman movies, only comics, I'd have selected Cavill to play the part before Routh or Reeves because he truly looks the part more than they do. You can dislike his acting or the movie itself and that's fine, opinions and all, but on a purely physical basis, Cavill is perfect as Superman. That being said, I actually loved both Reeves and Routh, and they both definitely brought more "warmth" to the character than Cavill has. I still like him too though, just not as much.

Column_sl

shitlord
What a totally ridiculous statement, Unless you are 60 right now the superman you grew up with in the comics/animated is based off of Chris not George Reeves...

Cavill, and that muscle suit doesn't hold a candle..

Reeves in every respect defined the look, and the way that character acted from 1978 on. Guarantee put him in that new airbrushed muscle suit, and he will make Cavill look like some jersey shore meat head..

henry-cavill-435.jpg
1415484608717_Image_galleryImage_128828_EXCLUSIVE_EXCLUSIV.JPG

Superman_Christopher-Reeve.jpg

tumblr_mwreubYmoj1rvm4udo1_1280.jpg

supermenfinal.jpg

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not trying to start an issue, but you need to look at the comic version without taking Reeves into consideration in order to see what I am saying. Superman is drawn as a V-bodied individual with greater than average musculature. Reeves and Routh look similar once done up to look like Superman, but neither of them are V bodied or have pronounced musculature. Cavill most definitely does have both of those aspects.

Also, Photoshopping Welling's head on a body he doesn't have is a pretty silly comparison angle. Guy is built long and thin, just as he is portrayed in the series. He is -not- built as a V bodied Superman.

This is exactly the bias I brought up in my previous post. You are taking Reeves as how Superman should look, but ignoring comic book history in order to do so. I'm not 60+, but as a 34 year old who has enjoyed the entirety of Superman's media career, the only actor in that timeframe to portray the hero that actually -looks- like Supes is Cavill. The others are pure nostalgia.

Column_sl

shitlord
FYI, when you start anything with something like " I dont want to start an issue" you are passively aggressively starting an issue. It's like people who say stuff like " No insult intended" then insult you. Own up to your shit.

The comics after 1978, and everything else till recently were based off of Chris Reeves performance.. Your childhood view on Superman was based off that actors performance..

Everyone from John Byrne to Bruce Timm used Chris as the template, not the older version of superman that George/Fleischer used.

Put Chris in that airbrushed muscle suit, and I guarantee he will kill that guido jersey shore look that Cavill has.

Also who brought up Welling? lmao

This is exactly the bias I brought up in my previous post. You are taking Reeves as how Superman should look, but ignoring comic book history in order to do so.
Ignoring comic book history?? rofl, you are 34 the Superman that artists used as a template even in the DC bible that they gave all their artists was based off Chris reeves. Jose Garcia Lopez didn't draw anything that remotely resembles Cavill, and he drew the style sheet for DC..

AC04.jpg

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just making sure, but are you only looking at the guy's hair to determine if he is rendered as an actor or something? Because Christopher Reeves -never- looked like the drawing you just posted. Henry Cavill looks far closer to that aside from the hair flip. Airbrushed/photoshopped or whatever, it doesn't matter. Reeves doesn't have even close to that bodytype, while whatever augmented version of Cavill appearing in the films does.

The point you make about artists basing their Superman versions off Reeves holds amazing water, since Reeves -NEVER- looked like the vast majority of Superman incarnations. They incorporated his hair flip, and that's it. Guy was not built like a shit-brickhouse, while Superman is -always- depicted as a V-bodied powerlifter on roids. Your own evidence proves my points, man.

Also, I wasn't being passive aggressive. I was hoping that your point had some other background beyond "Christopher Reeves was superman!" And it wasn't. So yeah, you are just wrong.

Column_sl

shitlord
My evidence is very clear. I presented the style sheet from DC owns archives that proves you are wrong on everything you say. That superman is hardly giant shoulders going to down an almost non existence waist. He is Barrel Shaped. You have to look at extreme variations where they purposely caricatured that look to get a true V shape..I.E every character that Bruce Timm draws.

This is the style guide they give all there artists to work off, and is based off Chris Reeves.

If you continue to post without posting any evidence from DC that backs up your claim that Henry Cavill is the template they were always going for, I'll assume you have no argument, and I'll know that you are just baiting me into an argument.

dcguide.jpg

rrr_img_103937.jpg
rrr_img_103938.jpg

rrr_img_103939.jpg

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Jesus. Ok, I'll bite, you troll jerkbauble.

I typed "Superman" into google, and then went to the very first image represented. This is what it gave me:
rrr_img_103924.jpg

I then went to
rrr_img_103925.jpg
for Mr. Reeves's version.

And then I compared those two pictures to
rrr_img_103926.jpg

Look at the bodytype, dude. Cavill clearly has everything superman has been portrayed as in bodytype, EXCEPT THE HAIR. You are basing your opinions on the man's fucking hairdo. If you cannot see exactly that I am saying (and your arguements of reeves wearing a muscle suit have zero merit, since he. did. not. wear a suit. And we are comparing superman actors in costumes they acted in.) then I have to assume you are trolling this thread and me by principle. Because no way in shit does Reeves look like the FIRST RESPONSE of how Superman looks compared to Cavill.

You didn't do anything to me, aside from make me realize you are a retard troll shitting up a thread. Prove you aren't, please.

Column_sl

shitlord
Jesus. Ok, I'll bite, you troll jerkbauble.

You didn't do anything to me, aside from make me realize you are a retard troll shitting up a thread. Prove you aren't, please.
The first person to sling insults is always the person losing the debate, and since the forums rules are much stricter now I will not be baited into an argument with someone who can not debate on any type of civil level.

I'll shall let the mods review this since that is the course they asked me to take moving forward.

When you can come back with a civil debate, and not an insult slinging fight we shall continue

Column_sl

shitlord
For everyone else this is a photoshop of a picture of Chris Reeve with the new muscle suit pasted on. Looks really good to me

rrr_img_103928.jpg
rrr_img_103929.jpg

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
After seeing the newest trailer again on the Imax screen before Ant-Man, I'm definitely going to see this movie in Imax as well. I doubt it'll be an opening night thing, but it looked great.
However, after seeing the new Fantastic Four trailer also before Ant-Man, I no longer plan on seeing this in theaters at all. I'll wait for DVD or a nice pirated copy.

EDIT: Column, your picture of Christopher Reeve in the muscle suit is ridiculous. Of course it looks better because it's Cavill's body with Reeve's head photoshopped on top of it.
It reminds me a lot of that kid that took a selfie and photoshopped abs and stuff onto his picture, but didn't blend the tan line very well.

Column_sl

shitlord
It's an amalgam. Its Reeves bust not just his head ,look at pic 2, with Cavells lower half rubber muscle suit, and they tweaked it in photoshop to represent Reeves more barrel body.

So yeah, Chris Reeve looks better imo then Cavill will ever look. That is Superman. If you really think Chris reeve ( if he was that same age today) couldn't get in that shape, and not look like that with a airbrushed muscle suit on then I'm not sure what to say to you.

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
Curt Swan's Superman is basically the definitive version in my opinion, style bible be damned. He was always a brick shithouse too:
swanderson.gif

I see the style guide as more of a modification of Swan's design to match closer to Reeves than trying to copy Reeves himself.

Column_sl

shitlord
Ugh Curt Swan. Even tho I didn't live through that time my superman will always be Garcia Lopez, and John Byrne.

Rest of the stuff in the 2000's like Ed McGuinness is just cartoon nonsense.

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
Alex Ross's Superman seems pretty influenced by Swan's version. Then again all his heroes kinda look like this...
Superman-by-Alex-Ross.jpg

So does Quitely's. Then again all his heroes kinda look like this too....
1163841.jpg

Of course this discussion has nothing to do with the movie as Cavil looks nothing like this version of Superman either. Supes traditionally is very barrel chested even from his original incarnation (which Reeves wasn't terribly). Batman has varied over the course of his history as either wide and stalky like in DKR, or sleek and lithe like Neal Adams drew him.

Arakkis

N00b
You guys are spending an awful lot of time staring at the rippled musculature and hair of a guy in a skin-tight bodysuit.