Billions

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Tried to start watching this the other day but gave up. I'm finding so many big budget modern TV shows to have the same built in flaw: all the characters seem to be assholes I have no emotional connection to. And without emotional connection to a character, there is no reason to watch. Axelrod, the AG, their wives, the others, all of them in this show seem to be assholes. Now, these are very good actors, and play their roles very well, but that just means they're supreme assholes. :(

I have watched a good deal of older shows (from the 70s to the 90s and early 2000s) and I can always find characters to emote to, either the heroes to win or baddies to lose. The new shows seem to be "post modern" in that they try to have no good or bad characters, but in stead of having good guys with flaws and bad guys with good sides, it's just all a slight variation on shit.

So, am I just a bitter old guy remembering the good old days, or have others noticed this trend?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Characters in shows aren't one dimensional anymore. It's good.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The "good old days" of TV were garbage. Laverne & Shirle? My Favorite Martian? Gilligan's Island? I Dream of Jeannie? The Brady Bunch?

All of that is bullshit. I realize they were on TV when you were younger, but you need to evolve as a person and realize that what was on when you were a child doesn't make it the greatest thing ever. Even if your memories say otherwise.

I know that's hard to do. Especially with the modern world of reboot nonsense from my own childhood (G.I. Joe, Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, Transformers) All of it is garbage. Just realize that your consciousness can expand if you allow it to. Similar to how your palette for food can change if your willing to really try new things and not just do it jokingly, looking for reasons to hate it.

It's surprising how TV and movies of today are surprisingly similar to real life. Yes, there are still people that are "good" to the core, but they are few and far between. Most of us have shit going on that's a little darker. Maybe you're fucking awesome in every way, but you still love fucking early 20's girls. Sure, your wife thinks you're at work late, but what she doesn't know won't hurt her.

Maybe you're an excellent father, but you still enjoy coke. You started it so long ago, and you don't do it as much as you used to, but you still indulge from time to time.

You're an excellent boss to all of your employees, but you still skim a little off the top. Why shouldn't you? You work hard for that money, damnit. Who cares if it isn't completely legit. Your family deserves to go on nice vacations because you work so much.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Yes, there were a lot of shitty shows in the past, but there were also a lot of good ones that had great screen writing and interesting characters:

M*A*S*H, Cheers, Inspector Morse, The Onedin Line, Golden Girls, Star Trek TNG and DS9, Babylon 5, X-files, Twin Peaks, just off the top of my head.

I see your point, though, I guess I watch TV and movies (and play games) to get away from the moral ambiguity that Real Life is, and so I gravitate towards shows that have a stronger difference between the "good" guys and the "bad" guys.

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
I need more of this show and specifically Condola Rashad.....god damn I find her extremely sexy.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Ok, I really liked the 3rd episode. That short broker guy is such a cunt. It was nice seeing Axel get a win in that area. But at the same time, looks like he's going to take an L with that guy's court case. Unless his awesome attorney can polish shit. He can, but will it be enough?

As far as the books, that was great. I actually laughed at the "Well, then it's a good thing I'm a rich fucking man." line. This show rules.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
The whole stewardess thing seems too easy. I'm betting it's a plant by Hall & Boyd in order to get someone inside the investigation to gather information on Chuck through Bryan. I'm thinking the Finance VP guy and his wife are in on it, the same as Donnie in season 1.

• 1Solidarity

Maul

Dental Dammer
The whole part about busting his seed in her and the guy so pissed he didn't wear a rubber was my favourite part.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Another strong episode from Billions. I really dislike that smug guy so I was glad to see him get his. Axel is really gambling lately. I hope it pays off, but this might just be setting the stage for a season finale where he takes a HUGE legal loss. Time will tell. He really gave his wife a verbal attack as well. Wendy is good shit, as usual. Chuck did well this episode.

I like this show.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Why did they cut off with Ax losing the football team bid and it being a big deal. Only for the next episode to ignore that entirely?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Oh man...
Axe is going to be PISSED going forward. He's going to eat all of the debt from that shitty town, in addition to buying up all the land. Only to have Chuck's dad make the whole thing go away. Then there's Chuck suddenly becoming completely in the clear. No more AG problems, and he got a win on Axe's guy, who was a bitch YET AGAIN. Then there's Wendy taking herself out of the Chuck equation, so I felt bad for that. Great episode. I can't wait to see what kind of rich shit happens next.

Special props for Axe playing his wife during their conversation.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I dislike how Wendy is considered to have superpowers and work wonders of psychiatry.

I can't buy a fucking psychiatrist being so useful and effective to so many companies/important people.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I don't think it's that she has a super power. Yes, she's good at her job, but she's considered a rare commodity because Axe likes her. EVERYONE else wants her just because of what she means to him, so it's a way they would have an advantage over the big guy.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't think it's that she has a super power. Yes, she's good at her job, but she's considered a rare commodity because Axe likes her. EVERYONE else wants her just because of what she means to him, so it's a way they would have an advantage over the big guy.

I wouldn't mind that I suppose. But it also annoys me that she has this entire existential crisis over morality and shit then goes back to working for a company where she knows, beyond doubt, that the owner and the employees break the law routinely.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm with you on that point. But that's right around the time that I remember this is a TV show, Axe isn't a dead terrorist named Brody, and my disbelief suspends itself.

Show keeps me entertained.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I wouldn't mind that I suppose. But it also annoys me that she has this entire existential crisis over morality and shit then goes back to working for a company where she knows, beyond doubt, that the owner and the employees break the law routinely.

Pfft, like she didn't know that to start with, she'd be a pretty shitty psychiatrist if she didn't.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Pfft, like she didn't know that to start with, she'd be a pretty shitty psychiatrist if she didn't.

I just generally dislike husband wife dynamics in shows like this. Its like in Colony where the wife worked for the resistance and the husband was a cop looking for the resistance.

Just dumb shit. Wendy works for people she knows to be criminals and her boss hates her husband and actively does shit to ruin his life because he has to defend himself from Chuck's prosecutions.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This season definitely has gotten better, first couple episodes of this season werent very engaging

• 1Like