Binding of Isaac Rebirth (Nov 4th)

Column_sl

shitlord
When Rebirth was released game designer Edmund McMillan was disappointed that The Lost unlock was data mined before the community had a chance to figure out the elaborate in game clues. McMillan said that he had figured out a way to make sure that didn't happen again.

That thread details an ARG that started with a tiny patch that changed the icon for the Generous achievement that contained clues in a trail culminating in a few guys digging up a greed statue in Santa Clara. This was all tracked by the game devs and when certain real world activities were completed they released a new patch with the hidden character and his unlocks.
Sounds like a Neanderthal version of a Lost's Badge quests at defcon.

Reading Daemon right now so interesting to see what happens when the same thing is used in a plot to manipulate, and murder.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Diamond is definitely there. I've multiple breaking runs but I can't get the hourglass rewind thing after going through tons of items before I give up

Edit:

Reading Daemon right now so interesting to see what happens when the same thing is used in a plot to manipulate, and murder.
That is such an amazing book. One of my favorites of all time.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I said fuck it and installed one of the things that let me far more easily do the greed donation machine. So not worth the time it would take

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Afterbirth needs to come out on PS4 already. I don't want to double dip. ><

Edit: This game might be the perfect game to play while drinking. It just gets funner and funner the more loaded you get.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Got 1001%, though I cheated to find the items I hadn't yet and the greed donation machine because fuck that.

Araxen

I got to Heaven(or whatever it's called) tonight while pretty much drunk and beat it. Talk about feeling rewarded. I love this game soooo much.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
The Cathedral? I felt pretty happy the first time I beat it. Now that I've played way more... that's where I go if I want an easier run :p

I beat everything on hard with Isaac and now Maggy. I feel like I've got a pretty good grasp of the game but probably still missing some fundamentals somewhere in there. Like what to aim for with a good first floor start, character-specific advice, things like that. Unlocking the D6 was certainly a game changer though. Between that and Blank Card + Jera rune I've seen some crazy shit and crashed the game a couple times. I've actually avoided unlocking more runes just to make it easier to find Jera cause it's stupidly good even without Blank Card.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
New update is out Afterbirth+, edmund going full fuck you with spike chests.

Araxen

The really big thing is the game has mod support now and Edmund said he'll add some of them to the game if they are good enough.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
This whole thing feels like Edmund giving the entire Isaac community the middle finger. Not a fan at all so far.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'd imagine it is after the hissy fit he threw because people data mined the Lost and didn't go through that insane process of figuring out how to unlock it by trial and error. I like the guys games but he can definitely lack in professionalism and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the stuff people hate is because of that.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
It adds official mod support so it's pretty irrelevant honestly. My first two runs I used the new character and stomped my way through despite having not played in months. So IDK :p only see a small number of new things at all and they seemed to fit right in. Void is interesting and probably OP frankly.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Spike chests are undetectable, resulting in random unavoidable damage unless you skip all normal chests. GOOD DESIGN GUYS.

Portals are a pure DPS check that can spawn in basement 1 when you have 0 damage and just end your run immediately. I don't hate the idea of them, but they are not a basement 1 hazard.

The twins/sisters boss is a boss from a different game just crowbared in to Isaac. They don't fight like any other boss in Isaac and don't follow the same rules of attack telegraphing etc.

Gold item rooms can spawn with no pedestal item in, who the fuck even comes up with that?

Angel rooms still sucks, curse rooms still suck, necronomicon is still a joke item, etc.

Krampus is 100% just Edmun memeing at this point with his diagonal blood laser spin.

Delerium is uhhh, I don't even know. He can instant teleport directly on top of you, and will, often. Also uses the same garbage damage resistance scaling that hush/greed do so fighting him is just another exercise in tedium regardless of how good your build might be.

Whole thing is just worse than Antibirth in basically every way. Here's to hoping official mod support was worth it I guess?

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
The content added was pretty damn thin compared to mod tools. Should have just released mod tools alone and not bothered if they weren't going to test it enough. Would have probably made less money that way though so I guess let's enjoy the no item rooms.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
It looks like they just repeated their habit of not actually testing their updates since there's like a dozen things in the pipeline for a balance/fix patch already. Like, super obvious things, like portals and stone fatties being too common and some rooms having the wrong monsters and the vis sisters being... the way they are.

I didn't play the other updates right as they released so didn't realize there was this track record :p Guess I'll come back to it in a couple weeks when they patch it

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Cw3Oth0.png