Black Widow (2020)

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Top Gun has lost a lot of momentum with the delay. People expected to see it as a summer 2021 blockbuster.

The promotional push for Top Gun was in high gear, everything was viral, and then it was all for nothing.

Ramping up the promo and marketing again to that level is unlikely. Each year people buy into Tom Cruise a little less, even if it's just 1% a year.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Top Gun has lost a lot of momentum with the delay. People expected to see it as a summer 2021 blockbuster.

The promotional push for Top Gun was in high gear, everything was viral, and then it was all for nothing.

Ramping up the promo and marketing again to that level is unlikely. Each year people buy into Tom Cruise a little less, even if it's just 1% a year.
he's gonna be 60 next year. dude's been making hits for 40 years. its not gonna last forever.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
he's gonna be 60 next year. dude's been making hits for 40 years. its not gonna last forever.

If Top Gun got a surprise date in August or September I'd be all over it. Like with the Nic Cage movie being pushed to April 2022, it's hard to give a fuck after they got everyone all hyped then pulled the rug. You don't advertise and do press for it then yoink it. I really believe you can't get excited twice in a row, you can be interested twice, but the excitement is gone and excitement is the driver of word of mouth and tickets.

That said, Cruise studio will spend a metric fuckton of money to try to disprove my no-twice excitement thesis. He'll get people hyped again about Top Gun somehow.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Dude, I expected it in like 2013.

I remember as I was prepping to be a pilot that they were in the initial stages, and that was 2010. I figured I'd get my wings at around the time the movie premiered.

Seems like this movie got off the ground about as well as my aviation career.

Crazy that he's almost 60 though. They shot some scene at the back of our building with a helicopter doing all kinds of crazy dips and shit with him hanging out of it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
it'll be the highest grossing domestic for all of 2021 after this weekend, and probably stay #1 for a while - not even sure what would dethrone it, maybe Top Gun or Eternals? It'll be #4 or 5 worldwide for 2021 going into August.

its definitely a box office winner for 2021, pretty tame/weak by pre-covid numbers but all told it'll be profitable unlike say Snake Eyes, Mulan, Raya, or In The Heights. It slots in somewhere around Ant Man 2 or Dr. Strange as far as MCU box office. Its just an expensive test by Disney to see the ceiling for US movie theaters right now, they know its much higher than April or May and Shang Chi and Eternals will be more probing.

Hollywood and US movie theaters are the real losers for 2021, the top two box office movies for 2021 are both chinese movies that only released in China. We're a decade away from the top 10 worldwide box office being only chinese movies.
that 60 million in disney plus the first weekend is 120 million box office in equivalent profit.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Dude, I expected it in like 2013.

I remember as I was prepping to be a pilot that they were in the initial stages, and that was 2010. I figured I'd get my wings at around the time the movie premiered.

Seems like this movie got off the ground about as well as my aviation career.

Crazy that he's almost 60 though. They shot some scene at the back of our building with a helicopter doing all kinds of crazy dips and shit with him hanging out of it.
He doesn't lack cajones, that's for sure.

rge.jpg

spronk

FPS noob
states are also starting to reimplement mask mandates, it'll drive a lot of people away from theaters

California and NYC together make up 22% of US domestic box office, LA and NYC alone are bigger than most states

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Mask mandates in theater would be awesome. Might actually muffle some of the disgusting open mouth chewing or even make some people not eat food for thirty minutes straight.

• 2Edgelord
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Mask mandates in theater would be awesome. Might actually muffle some of the disgusting open mouth chewing or even make some people not eat food for thirty minutes straight.
Nah, the best part of mask mandates are that they limit theater capacity as well. It was awesome seeing Nobody with just myself, my buddy, and one other couple in the whole theatre.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
He doesn't lack cajones, that's for sure.

View attachment 364373

So, I used to be into all the "pick up artist" bullshit. This skinny bald faggot named Style wrote a book about it all, and he mentions how he met Tom Cruise to do some kind of story about him. He said Tom Cruise was literally the ultimate alpha male. And he fucking is. Look at that fucking pic, its insane.

• 1Mother of God

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So, I used to be into all the "pick up artist" bullshit. This skinny bald faggot named Style wrote a book about it all, and he mentions how he met Tom Cruise to do some kind of story about him. He said Tom Cruise was literally the ultimate alpha male. And he fucking is. Look at that fucking pic, its insane.
His God is an alien. How could he not be an alpha male.

• 2Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Also, I think many people missed the point of Black Widow. The plot, in terms of beating some bad guy, was atrocious. I couldn't even follow it and I had to try very hard to remember who she was trying to defeat. And some of the CGI was fucking horrible - there was some scene where she flipped out of a helicopter and landed on a platform, it was year 2001 level CGI terrible. But that's not what the movie was about.

The movie is all about family. It's these four misfit Russians who have been fucked over and taken advantage of by their country, and they all came together for a few years on some random mission in America, and despite whatever else they encountered in their lives, their short time together was the best time of their lives. Even though they were not actually family, they loved each other and the time they spent together was some of the best of their lives. The only time they felt normal. The entire second half of the film is them all accepting that they want to be some type of family despite not actually being family. The "bad guy" plot is totally incidental, and not at all what the movie is about. It's a family movie, and that's all.

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Also, I think many people missed the point of Black Widow. The plot, in terms of beating some bad guy, was atrocious. I couldn't even follow it and I had to try very hard to remember who she was trying to defeat. And some of the CGI was fucking horrible - there was some scene where she flipped out of a helicopter and landed on a platform, it was year 2001 level CGI terrible. But that's not what the movie was about.

The movie is all about family. It's these four misfit Russians who have been fucked over and taken advantage of by their country, and they all came together for a few years on some random mission in America, and despite whatever else they encountered in their lives, their short time together was the best time of their lives. Even though they were not actually family, they loved each other and the time they spent together was some of the best of their lives. The only time they felt normal. The entire second half of the film is them all accepting that they want to be some type of family despite not actually being family. The "bad guy" plot is totally incidental, and not at all what the movie is about. It's a family movie, and that's all.
the family stuff was hijacked by all the nonsensical action. why was Nat and whatsherface trying to kill each other in their first scene ala Kill Bill? why was red guardian shit on for most of the movie? how did he go from a smooth motherfuckin spy in the first scenes to a bumbling dumbfuck later on? why didnt nat try to rescue her sister ever? why didnt mom try to locate or contact natasha ever? i dunno if those people loved each other. i think they felt guilty for being such shitty people and felt like they had to come together out of some obligation.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

I don't think anyone missed the point except maybe the people who made it.

See the RLM review for a good synopsis. I think most people actually enjoyed the story portion of the movie. All the stuff with the family and dialogue and shit? It was good stuff! Red Guardian was great!

It all fell apart with the hero cliche action sequence bullshit.

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
"Don't sexualize me!"
"Pay me!"

BRIEF-Scarlett Johansson Sues Disney Over 'Black Widow' Streaming Release - WSJ
REUTERS 1:26 PM ET 7/29/2021
July 29 (Reuters) -

* SCARLETT JOHANSSON SUES DISNEY OVER 'BLACK WIDOW' STREAMING RELEASE - WSJ

* JOHANSSON'S SUIT ALLEGES SIMULTANEOUS RELEASE OF LATEST MARVEL MOVIE 'BLACK WIDOW' IN THEATERS AND ON DISNEY+ SERVICE WAS A BREACH OF CONTRACT- WSJ

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
"Don't sexualize me!"
"Pay me!"

BRIEF-Scarlett Johansson Sues Disney Over 'Black Widow' Streaming Release - WSJ
REUTERS 1:26 PM ET 7/29/2021
July 29 (Reuters) -

* SCARLETT JOHANSSON SUES DISNEY OVER 'BLACK WIDOW' STREAMING RELEASE - WSJ

* JOHANSSON'S SUIT ALLEGES SIMULTANEOUS RELEASE OF LATEST MARVEL MOVIE 'BLACK WIDOW' IN THEATERS AND ON DISNEY+ SERVICE WAS A BREACH OF CONTRACT- WSJ

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users