Board Games

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Played Unspeakable Words and Codenames with some people on Friday. Enjoyed both, but Codenames definitely lived up to the hype. People that would normally never play that type of game walked away loving it. A little confusion while reading the rules afterwards on when homonyms and rhyming were allowed and when they weren't, but I'll just houserule it in the future.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Played Unspeakable Words and Codenames with some people on Friday. Enjoyed both, but Codenames definitely lived up to the hype. People that would normally never play that type of game walked away loving it. A little confusion while reading the rules afterwards on when homonyms and rhyming were allowed and when they weren't, but I'll just houserule it in the future.

Yep, codenames is definitely one you want to adjust and house rule to make it smoother for the players you have.
Also, beware of Codenames: Deep Undercover. While the idea of an adults version with lots of innuendos is pretty cool, the result is a game where so many of the words are closely related and easy to link to each other, making for a much harder game. To the point where it's not as enjoyable anymore. Shame since the various adult versions of Telestrations are awesome in the right company.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Played Dresden Files last night. It's well worth playing if you have read the books. It's also well worth playing if you are in to co-ops. YOu get a hand of cards for the game and never draw any more. Each card can either be used to effect the board or buy more actions. It was an interesting time trying to figure out who was going to spend what actions as the action pool is shared between players. It beat all my expectations (which were admittedly low).

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Mine is arriving tomorrow, wife was big into the books. How many did you play it with?

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We played just the first book and with 4 people. We won in the showdown phase. We played on normal difficulty (8 starting fate?). If she was big in to the books I highly recommend stopping to smell the flowers (aka reading all the card titles and checking out which cards connect to one another).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Broke open Aeons End over the weekend with my dad and a friend, we all loved it. Won the first game fairly easy, second game we just barely squeaked by.

Hands down the best deck builder I've played. Deck never felt overly bloated with useless cards. Tons of options each round, lots of player interaction and choices. Not much shuffling. The character abilities had some cool synergies/powerful combos.

Found some fun sounding scenarios written by the game designer on board game geek. We're all anxious to try them out, playing again in a couple of days.

Aeon's End | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

• 1Like

faille

Molten Core Raider
I picked up The Colonist last week and got a chance to dip my toe in on the weekend:
The Colonists | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

Really epic game, only played Era 1 out of the 4 you can play, and felt like I was just starting. Playing all four eras ends up being 6-8 hours apparently, though you can save your progress between eras which is really neat. I would probably describe it as a cross between Agricola, or that style of game, and istanbul, mostly for the movement mechanics. Can't wait to get a full game going

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone interested in Aeons End, noticed yesterday the Kickstarter for their follow up is up. It's fully useable with the first game. You can also get the first game and expansions through this kickstarter as well as upgrade the old version if you have it for very cheap.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I've played a few more games of Aeon's End since last post and seriously can't recommend it enough, it's fantastic, so much replayability.

Back that Kickstarter, you won't regret it!

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Emmisary table officially ordered and paid for (their queue is long, damn!). Delivery sometime around Aug/Sep, give or take. Can't wait!

• 1Like

faille

Molten Core Raider
What are you using?
It's a combination of storage boxes, like plano boxes I think, that I got from my local $2 shop. Has to modify them a little to make them work well, but now it's nicely done and works well in setting up and using while playing. Still need to fix a couple of things though.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
My kickstarter for Fugitive finally arrived. It plays just how I expected, 10-15 minutes with two or three crucial moves each game. It's perfect for lunch at work and the wife likes it as well. I think the only game I'm still looking to get is Santorini and then I'm going to just play what I have for a while.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I feel like that should have Spaceballs: The Quest for More Money logo on it.

I have still never played the game. How is it solo player?

faille

Molten Core Raider
I feel like that should have Spaceballs: The Quest for More Money logo on it.

I have still never played the game. How is it solo player?
I enjoy it solo. Just upped to playing 3 characters in my solo party while also doing drop in / out groups