Board Games

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Nah, single and gainfully employed is a solid place to be for shit like this.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Played Food Chain Magnate this weekend. Was quite a bit of fun (as the winner) until we realized how badly we didn't follow or understand certain rules. Should have been a much more competitive game, but really like the concept.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Food chain magnate is pretty good, though it's so slow with 5 players!

Hard pass! Too many good board games out there were even when it isn't your turn you are doing stuff.

Pretty sure I went from loving to hating Dead of Winter after playing things like Blood Rage, Cry Havoc, and Masmorra.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
It's slow, but it's important to pay attention to what everyone else is doing or you have no chance. You can't really operate in a bubble and have to be prepared to fend off competition or before you know it you can't sell any of the food you've cooked because an airplane flew over and they want pizza AND lemonade for the next 4 rounds and someone across town happens to be selling exactly that.

The review touches on this, lots of systems, and it's cutthroat.

faille

Molten Core Raider
I'm overstating how slow it was because the last time I played we had a particular AP prone player who took longer than the other 4 of us combined, before going broke, sacking half his staff and rage quitting around mid game! It's still a flaw of the game and I wish it could flow better but it's still an awesome game and worth checking out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
This week was spent not on gaming but on trying to figure out how to organize Gloomhaven. Holy crap is this box big and full. It really makes me wish that someone had a custom insert for sale already. I'm hoping to get the first games in tonight. I can already tell that the hype seems justified.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
In the current top 10 on BGG:
  • We regularly play Pandemic, Terra Mystica, and Scythe now. Did I mention Scythe has MECHS?
  • Puerto Rico is old school classic that still hits the table occasionally. Love that game personally.
  • 7 Wonders (the original) still gets played quite often. Great game for a variable number of players.
  • Agricola died out for us a while back. It just takes forever ...

BGG.jpg

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I played Scythe a bunch but the game is horribly balanced. The "Russians" are way too good. When playing with people of equal skill unless everyone gangs up on them they run away with it. It's too bad because I enjoy the base mechanics of the game. It hit the sale pile after about 10 plays.

Agricola got straight up replaced. Caverna is just a strictly better version of the game. Haven't played Feast for Odin yet but I have heard it's different enough that it doesn't replace Caverna.

Played the second story for Time Stories this weekend (The Marcy Case) and enjoyed it but wasn't as impressed with it as I was with the first one.

• 1Like

faille

Molten Core Raider
This week was spent not on gaming but on trying to figure out how to organize Gloomhaven. Holy crap is this box big and full. It really makes me wish that someone had a custom insert for sale already. I'm hoping to get the first games in tonight. I can already tell that the hype seems justified.

My Gloomhaven just arrived and I can't wait to dive into it.
Debating if its worth it's on threat since there's so much spoilery stuff in legacy / campaign games you can't discuss them too much.
Did you manage to get your first game done?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
My friday night boardgame group played Agricola into oblivion. Kind of hard to replay it now after our group sank literal hundreds of hours into it and it hasn't had any real big shake-ups. I still love it for being our group's first "real board game" love, but we've just gotten all the play we could out of it.
Scythe is doing well in the group now, although we have a sort of gentlemen's agreement not to pick the Russians unless we're on a weird 5+ player night. Expansion's nice, I love the new sub-boards, but I personally avoid the expansion races themselves when we do race-drafts or race-bidding, because I loathe their lack of +1 Movement.
Alchemists is our current "go to" game, and the expansion added a ton of new elements to juggle and think about, while opening up more varied paths to victory. Which is impressive to me, since I doubted the expansion could live up to how much we enjoyed the base game (pretty much the only non-Agricola game we've ever *ran through* the provided scoresheets with and had to print new ones).

Terra Mystica is weird. 3 people in the group love it, but one of the regulars absolutely hates it. So it only gets played if that guy doesn't show up, which isn't often. Playing the Yetis is so fun in the expansion, feel so free~.

Once everyone's all pissed off at each other from cube-allocating and end-zone dancing, we tend to bust out Eclipse at the end of the night so we can murder each other with lasers. Last Eclipse expansion was really, really underwhelming though, three factions that sounded interesting, but that were either meh (evolution race) or wildly imbalanced (Time race when they open on free turn 1 dreadnaught to go conquer amazing alien planets for snowballing benefits), or just... not quite there (grey goo race).

• 1Like

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
My Gloomhaven just arrived and I can't wait to dive into it.
Debating if its worth it's on threat since there's so much spoilery stuff in legacy / campaign games you can't discuss them too much.
Did you manage to get your first game done?
I've ran through the first room of the first scenario a few times just to get the hang of the flow before I teach my group this weekend. It's very tactical and the balance is great. I'm really looking forward to a long campaign. I still need to figure out the organisation.

• 1Like