Board Games

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Unless you play with people that tell others what to do, it devolves quickly into a shit show.

I was lucky enough to start it with three other 'gamers' and we had spirited discussions all allong on the best plays, but no one was a douche about it and we always came to agreement. I can see where it could fall apart with a few bad apples.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I played one game of it a week with the same three people over the course of months, one of the best before game experiences I've ever had for sure!

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I too just played thru Souls with a friend, neither of us is well versed in these kinds of games. We spent the night drinking and trying to figure shit out. There's a lot of rules! Anyway, after like 4 hours we finally beat our first mini boss. We reset the tiles and beat another round before we realized we set everything up with another mini instead of an actual boss and just called it.

Don't neglect leveling up. We overloaded on loot and could barely use any of it. Surprisingly, the best weapon I got while playing assassin was so soul arrow, lol. I think others are on to something with making a tier list for treasures, but I want to play through a few more games with default rules before I put something like that into play. At least a whole game with 4 people.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I too just played thru Souls with a friend, neither of us is well versed in these kinds of games. We spent the night drinking and trying to figure shit out. There's a lot of rules! Anyway, after like 4 hours we finally beat our first mini boss. We reset the tiles and beat another round before we realized we set everything up with another mini instead of an actual boss and just called it.

Don't neglect leveling up. We overloaded on loot and could barely use any of it. Surprisingly, the best weapon I got while playing assassin was so soul arrow, lol. I think others are on to something with making a tier list for treasures, but I want to play through a few more games with default rules before I put something like that into play. At least a whole game with 4 people.

Played this on Sunday and without getting into all the details as to why. as is the game is terrible and feels like an IP money grab. With additional house rules to almost everything it could be a great game. They are on to something with the movement nodes, that is a good system.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Agree. I think the most important part, the combat is good enough. The loot system they fucking failed at. Easy enough to houserule it thought.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Gotta vent here because I can't anywhere else.

I enjoy munchkin, I think it's a great intro game and I enjoy the way it plays. We had my brother in law and his girlfriend over and I suggested we play it. I already can't really stand BIL and his gf lately, but it's whatever. It's his first gf.

Anyways they "teamed up" the whole game and it ruined it, absolutely ruined it. It forced me to help out my wife and vice versa essentially every turn. They saw nothing wrong with it, and the game ended up taking 4 hours. Now my wife never wants to play it again and I never want to play with them again.

The worst part is there's a rule that you have to discard your cards if above 5 but you can gift cards to people for a bribe. They essentially had like 20 cards they just kept gifting to keep each other under 5. It made me have to institute a house rule that banishes that rule, but I didn't want to implement it on the fly so lesson learned.

I basically said fuck this shit at the end of the game and let the girl win.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea, Munchkin is a flawed game in many ways - one of the most extreme examples is where people form teams. Wife and I naturally watch out for each other like that, which is part of why we've found it unfun as well. It's not fun on either side playing it that way really.

faille

Molten Core Raider
I usually end up trying to help whoever might win just to end the game quicker. Been stuck in too many gamnes of it that have just stretched out way past it being fun.

• 1Like

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Munchkin is basically the second worst board game all time behind Settlers and just in front of anything werewolf.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Gotta vent here because I can't anywhere else.

I enjoy munchkin, I think it's a great intro game and I enjoy the way it plays. We had my brother in law and his girlfriend over and I suggested we play it. I already can't really stand BIL and his gf lately, but it's whatever. It's his first gf.

Anyways they "teamed up" the whole game and it ruined it, absolutely ruined it. It forced me to help out my wife and vice versa essentially every turn. They saw nothing wrong with it, and the game ended up taking 4 hours. Now my wife never wants to play it again and I never want to play with them again.

The worst part is there's a rule that you have to discard your cards if above 5 but you can gift cards to people for a bribe. They essentially had like 20 cards they just kept gifting to keep each other under 5. It made me have to institute a house rule that banishes that rule, but I didn't want to implement it on the fly so lesson learned.

I basically said fuck this shit at the end of the game and let the girl win.

Couple things: I feel you, I played with a pussy whipped husband and a sore loser wife it devolved into zero fun. When gifting/charity you must give your excess cards to the lowest leveled player. Also when trading via bribes it can only be item cards, these few rules clarifications should stop above happening. More here: Is giving away items as bribes to other players restricted to table cards?

My advice, stick to Ticket to Ride as your intro to board games. :)

• 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Couple things: I feel you, I played with a pussy whipped husband and a sore loser wife it devolved into zero fun. When gifting/charity you must give your excess cards to the lowest leveled player. Also when trading via bribes it can only be item cards, these few rules clarifications should stop above happening. More here: Is giving away items as bribes to other players restricted to table cards?

My advice, stick to Ticket to Ride as your intro to board games. :)
I'm pretty sure the rule book doesnt explicit state what you can give away with bribes, which all they were doing were bribes. That ruling would help.

Wakandan plz I got like 100 board games. Didn't know I'd be lambasted in the board game thread of all places

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Sounds like you got Munchkin-ed. I figured every gaming group had this generic term for when people team up to ruin a game or or kingmake. Alternatively, fuck over the leader until the person in last place finally wins because everyone else ran out of resources.