Boardwalk Empire

bleedat

Molten Core Raider
I didn't care for the finale. Would have been better to show him as a nobody down the road imo. The tommy thing was way too predictable, also.

With how the whole series played out , this was a nice ending. Very fitting , i liked it. I mean Nucky fucked over many people in his life and the 1st person he truly fucked over is the one that gets him in the end. But then seeing the Luciano scene makes me want to go watch some mobster movies now , well been awhile since i seen Good Fellas so that is 1st.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
With how the whole series played out , this was a nice ending. Very fitting , i liked it. I mean Nucky fucked over many people in his life and the 1st person he truly fucked over is the one that gets him in the end. But then seeing the Luciano scene makes me want to go watch some mobster movies now , well been awhile since i seen Good Fellas so that is 1st.
That's the problem with the show. No one gives a fuck about Nucky or his bullshit in Atlantic city or cuba (Talk about dropping the ball on that one) except maybe Micky. If they just had the show follow Luciano and Capone split 50/50 until the early 30s it would have been great. They were paying actors playing shitty characters with bad writing when they should have focused it into a different direction.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
That's the problem with the show. No one gives a fuck about Nucky or his bullshit in Atlantic city or cuba (Talk about dropping the ball on that one) except maybe Micky. If they just had the show follow Luciano and Capone split 50/50 until the early 30s it would have been great. They were paying actors playing shitty characters with bad writing when they should have focused it into a different direction.
I think the show made an obvious shift away from Buscemi with season two up until this last one. It was obvious right away he wasn't going to be able to carry the show himself. Is that because of his more reserved delivery and style or just because the character just wasn't as interesting? I don't know, but seasons 2 and 3 of this show were excellent. 4 took a drop, but I still enjoyed every moment.

The problem with this last season was simply that it had to be wrapped up so quickly. In that we get the Nucky/Gillian/Tommy rushed as all hell ending. I didn't hate it though. It was tragic and fitting and will probably give me a little more patience for the pointless Gillian scenes in previous seasons whenever I decide to do a rewatch.

iannis

Musty Nester
Kinda crapped out. Production value was still high, it still looked great.

S1-3 are still hard to beat. 4 was melodramatic and this one was sort of a wet fart. The writers must have all gotten new shows as soon as the season started.

It was the actors and crew that made this season worth watching. The writing was fairly bad.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Liked the ending actually. Not much more to say - season 3 for me is still one of the all-time great television seasons... I'll have to watch the entire series again from scratch in the coming months to determine a favorite season, but 3 had some of the best dialogue.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The flashbacks really paid off in the finale when you see Nucky hand-off Gillian to the Commodore. I felt really bad for Gillian there. It really made Nucky look like even more of POS than he already was and deserved his fate to Tommy killing him.

I thought the finale was ok. You already knew this season wasn't going to be that good because of the shortened season. I'm glad we got seasons 1-4 and wish we could have at least gotten up to Rothstein's death seasons wise but I'll take season 5 over what HBO did with fucking Deadwood. Personally I like Season 4 the best, but that is the season where Chalky came into his own and he is by far my favorite character on the show.

I think about the Soprano's bullshit finale and it's hard to hate last night's episode.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
if Tommy Darmody ended up with Harrows gf and her father, how did he grow up to know so much about Nucky etc. Wouldn't his new family have kept all that stuff from him

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
if Tommy Darmody ended up with Harrows gf and her father, how did he grow up to know so much about Nucky etc. Wouldn't his new family have kept all that stuff from him
Yes, the Tommy stuff was super rushed...at this point, he didn't even need to show up earlier. He could have just popped up at the end and introduced himself and boom. (No real backstory, and a forced Nucky mentor roll)

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
WBJwjM6.jpg

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Show went to shit with the death of Harrow. There was a badass mashup someone made with Harrow's Rampage put to the police station shootout soundtrack from Terminator 1. It was epic.

Cybsled

He mentions his grandmother had told him stories, so I imagine Gillian wasn't just writing Nucky all those years. Think about Tommy's life:

1) Mother gets murdered
2) Father is murdered
3) Gillian fills his head with bullshit, Richard tries to undo it
4) Gun held to his head by mobsters
5) Richard tries to get him some semblance of a normal life, but he dies. His last non-Gillian connection to his parents dies with that, leaving Gillian as the sole source

Tommy's entire life was ruined by Nucky, either directly or indirectly.

On a side note, Margaret will be pretty damned rich now since she never divorced Nucky
wink.png

Cybsled

Show went to shit with the death of Harrow. There was a badass mashup someone made with Harrow's Rampage put to the police station shootout soundtrack from Terminator 1. It was epic.
I also lol'd at this one

spronk

FPS noob
there was apparently a lot more scenes shot, someone noticed the trailer had nucky's nephew (elis son) telling feds everything he knows about nucky, thats who the 2 odd men that nucky turned away from at the end were - they were going to arrest him.

luciano's eye drooping more and more every episode bugged me. maybe thats historically more accurate but all i could stare at was his eye for every scene.

seasons 1 -3 were absolutely stellar, i think most people will agree with that. jimmy dying was a huge gut punch, i still remember people on these forums saying they will not watch anymore of this fucking show because of that.

The real life endings of Narcisse (forced to turn FBI informant), Nucky Johnson, Al Capone, Luciano, etc are all pretty interesting to read on wikipedia.

seasons 1 -3 were absolutely stellar, i think most people will agree with that. jimmy dying was a huge gut punch, i still remember people on these forums saying they will not watch anymore of this fucking show because of that.
Hah I remember the thread from the FoH forums and I think I said something like that.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I thought Jimmy was the best part of the show. Certainly will admit after the fact that season 3 didn't let up at all.

This show was full of really great moments though. Jimmy's death. Harrow's rampage. The Omar/Buck fight. Capone's "we talk about who dies". Jimmy's wife's death. Owen in the box. Just a ton of memorable stuff. And that's on top of any time either Capone or Van Alden being on screen being some of the best TV I've ever seen.

Show was great. Sad it didn't go out with a bang.