Buying a car?

Siliconemelons

well out of the almighty 3000 of them that sold in the US for the past few years this dude was rocking his maybac... at first I thought it was one of the big Kia's till I saw the symbol. And it "not" being a driver car was one of their problems...it was not purchased by the non driver crowd whom it was made for.

Kind of like the Hyundi Equis or whatever is not a driver car...but it is being used as a driver car... and sorry to the car gods for somewhat putting a hyundi on the same level as a maybac

I would love an old ass mayboc ;-) 20ft long front hood, big ass tires on the side...so rich!

koljec_sl

shitlord
For anyone looking for a new car in the $18 to $25K range, the new Mazda 3s are pretty nifty. They're better than Lexus CT200Hs in just about every way and cost $10K less. Can't wait to see a Speed3 version.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I traded in my 06 Speed6 for a new 6 last thanksgiving and have really liked it. Great gas mileage, all the tech stuff / gadgets, and a good ride. Much different than my old 6 obviously, but it is a good different.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
the only time I ever saw a maybach was in Beverly Hills and this 90 year old women got out of the driver's seat and walked into a pinkberry.

Hootie

Silver Knight of the Realm
I can see both sides of it. There's no question that in North American society, your car is one of the most visible signs of your supposed success, and naturally many people make poor financial decisions in order to look good or feel good about themselves. And many people think "afford the payments" = "afford", which is really, really stupid. I'm all for driving a nice car myself, but if you're financing said nice car while having CC debt and a 30+ year amortization on your mortgage or worse renting, you're an idiot. And that's what most people are doing.

On the other hand, I drove the girlfriends Matrix to the movies last night,and it was awful. How do people drive cars w/o AWD and 300 hp+?
Stop being cheap and buy her a better car!

koljec_sl

shitlord
I traded in my 06 Speed6 for a new 6 last thanksgiving and have really liked it. Great gas mileage, all the tech stuff / gadgets, and a good ride. Much different than my old 6 obviously, but it is a good different.
I've heard good things about the 6s. Mazda has some nice offerings. I read there is an RX9 in store for 2016 or so, too.

Izo

Tranny Chaser

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
My first two cars were Rx-7s, both 2nd Gen, so it is somewhat nostalgic to me. When I went looking for a new car after my Supra I really wanted to like the Rx-8 but it didn't feel anywhere near a replacement for the Rx-7 (not sure it was supposed to be). Really bummed me out. Plus I needed something more sedan-y for work.

I was holding out for the new diesel 6 that was targeted to drop last year, but got delayed. Decided to go ahead and move on the regular one. It probably isn't for everyone, but out of the Fusions, Acuras, and um... something else I tested it was my favorite. But again, there's a family history so it was probably never a fair test.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Toyota recently applied for a renewal of the Supra trademark. Just a couple weeks ago, in fact.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
ICE_CREAM_TRUCK_PARTY_006.JPG
Okay?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Stop being cheap and buy her a better car!
Shit man, I've already paid for half of the Matrix! And truth be told I would have happily got her something, but she wanted to do it herself until she realized the final price tag of the car she wanted. And naturally being a girl, she paid list price without even trying to negotiate with the salesman, which was colossally stupid and cost her around 2k most likely. But whatever, it's supposedly her money. I do have a promissory note from her for what I kicked in, should things go sideways I could take her to court and force her to sell the car and pay me back what I'm owed.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You are supposed to let her do uhm "body work" to pay you back.
The court will maybe say the same and rule she allready payed off your half of the car should you split up in like 2 years.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Shit man, I've already paid for half of the Matrix! And truth be told I would have happily got her something, but she wanted to do it herself until she realized the final price tag of the car she wanted. And naturally being a girl, she paid list price without even trying to negotiate with the salesman, which was colossally stupid and cost her around 2k most likely. But whatever, it's supposedly her money. I do have a promissory note from her for what I kicked in, should things go sideways I could take her to court and force her to sell the car and pay me back what I'm owed.
From what I experienced with buying my car, I'm not sure paying 2k isn't worth not dealing with all the shit. I test drove a 2014 model and negotiated the price down to something that I thought was too good to be true. Turns out it was and they tried to bait-and-switch me on the 2013 model when I came back to buy the car. They then re-quoted the 2014 model as $80/month higher than our agreement, I walked out after they refused to come down. The manager was actually fuming with rage (I'm sure it was an act, but he did a damn good job at it) when I left and actually yelled at me. I don't know how the average chick will deal with it when the store manager is actually screaming at her, but I bet not well. I then went over to another dealership that had also quoted me a low price, but of course that price turned out to be for some floor/demo version of the car that already had thousands of miles on it. I eventually got a good price by going to a third dealership and showing them the offer from the second without telling them it was a demo version.

I also picked up an actual stalker during the process. I went to a Toyota dealership and basically walked out when he started with the "we'll only have this car until the end of the day" and "red is a premium color that costs more" bullshit. He STILL calls me constantly, despite the fact that I've stopped answering the phone or responding to his voicemails. He has since left Toyota and now works for Ford and calls me constantly telling me how much better deals Ford has and how Toyota was taking advantage of their customers and how I need to come in.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Go through one of those TrueCar buying programs. You'll always get under sticker and put dealerships competing with each other for your sale, without even having to leave the house. I bought my Z back in 2010 with this and got it for 4,000 grand under sticker price. I ended up paying about 250 bucks over invoice, which was pretty solid.

American Express | Car Buying Home Page