Car Buying Help

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You can always get a loan from your bank if you want to buy from a private seller but still need financing. I think trade-ins are a rip off anyway. They will almost always drop the price by at least a couple thousand if you don't have a trade.

I will be paying cash for this vehicle. Looking for something in the $15-20K range so it's not going to be super new, but hopefully not a junker either.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I don't think mine's going to the fire pit.

They all do, go check racingjunk or autotrader for project cars and look at the fire sales they all end up as. You never get your parts or labor back.

I'm just giving good financial advice here if you actually want a car to drive someday.

If this is something for you to wrench on and have fun building and who cares if it's fast/reliable/cost-efficient, then by all means.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
They all do, go check racingjunk or autotrader for project cars and look at the fire sales they all end up as. You never get your parts or labor back.

I'm just giving good financial advice here if you actually want a car to drive someday.

If this is something for you to wrench on and have fun building and who cares if it's fast/reliable/cost-efficient, then by all means.

Yeah, definitely not for the majority of people but mine brings me joy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I sit at a fucking desk all day at work
MAYBE get to rack some servers every few months on a client site.

I need something to do with my hands..

I've thought deeply about taking up more artistic things, too, like glass blowing.

But I'm not a pothead so the logical person in me is like "umm, you won't make something you can use, yo."

• 1Like

Wintermute

<Charitable Administrator>
So where do people look for classic cars?

I am looking on local Craigslist and eBay just to monitor prices so far. I have a couple months until I purchase.

Siliconemelons

junkers you want to build up- your looking in the right spot - finished pristine 90-100% restored classics, ebay has some and autotrader classic etc. all things tend to have a mix but autotrader and local classic showrooms tend to have more.

1966 mustang coupe for 7k by my work - its a auto shop selling so its someone who couldn't pay their bill I suppose.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The best vintage and classic cars for sale online | Bring a Trailer

as well as craigslist and ebay, you have to stay on top of all these to find anything useful. Bring a trailer is fucking phenomenal though, shit for all types of car lovers. It literally has something for everyone and sometimes your jaw will drop at some of the stuff that pops up, even Brutul could find a legit classic tractor on there.

Last edited:

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yea they are stupidly fast in a straight line, from a stop. From a roll they are dogshit, in corners they are dogshit, and they can't sustain power for more than a couple minutes without the battery overheating so they're useless on the track.

But they are retarded fast from 0. And they just feel totally different than ICE cars doing it, too.
Oh for sure. When I was in Germany I really thought long and hard about a Porsche, I still do from time to time. I just know I still will want a '68 Camaro also. So my goal is first the Camaro this summer and when the kids move out revisit the Porsche.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Oh for sure. When I was in Germany I really thought long and hard about a Porsche, I still do from time to time. I just know I still will want a '68 Camaro also. So my goal is first the Camaro this summer and when the kids move out revisit the Porsche.

I'd also consider a Huracan since it's basically a rebodied R8 now and not a total italian basketcase piece of shit. :) Especially if you're already spending Turbo S money.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
So fucking pissed.. My spotless parked 2014 S4 with only 11,000 miles on it just got it's bumper and tail-light demolished by some grandma backing out of her spot in a 1995 4Runner while blathering away on her cell phone. I was literally standing there watching it happen in slow motion. So frustrating..

• 1Solidarity

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
So fucking pissed.. My spotless parked 2014 S4 with only 11,000 miles on it just got it's bumper and tail-light demolished by some grandma backing out of her spot in a 1995 4Runner while blathering away on her cell phone. I was literally standing there watching it happen in slow motion. So frustrating..

6800 K Ave, Plano, TX 75074
newconceptautoworks.com

• 1Like