Chappie - Neill Blomkamp's new film

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd disagree with that,
he plugged in with one purpose, to find out how to transfer consciousness. He wasn't going to waste precious time by clicking every link out there, but the ones that made sense, and if ones he clicked on didn't make sense, he'd just discard them and go backwards to ones that would. He wouldn't keep on clicking down the rabbit hole like most of us when we watch a youtube of puppies and 2 hours later we're on "the universe by carl sagen"
"clicking links that make sense, discarding others" Says who? lol. Did you just make that up yourself? The robot started the whole "I plugged myself into the internet" speech by saying how he researched humans and it showed him going through various sites, files, etc? My point was that after plugging into the net, he seemed to have next to zero advancement in his understanding of human behavior and still acted like a naive child. Still doesnt make sense.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That article just ate 2 hours of my life. Well worth it though, holy shit. Completely interesting throughout, and touched on tons of subjects that have been careening around my brain cavity with abandon recently.
Yea, I have sent that link to quite a few friends and everyone who has taken the time to read it has had pretty much the same reaction. Mind = blown

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
"clicking links that make sense, discarding others" Says who? lol. Did you just make that up yourself? The robot started the whole "I plugged myself into the internet" speech by saying how he researched humans and it showed him going through various sites, files, etc? My point was that after plugging into the net, he seemed to have next to zero advancement in his understanding of human behavior and still acted like a naive child. Still doesnt make sense.
the purpose of pluggin in was to figure out how to do conscience transfer or whatever shit, he's not going to randomly just jump to a different subject, his focus is laser targeted.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I made it about 30 minutes in before Die Antwoord became too distracting. What a terrible casting decision.

Probably won't ever finish this one.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I was entertained, but Die Antwoord was annoying.
great, now you made sure i never watch this movie again.
frown.png

easily one of the worst things i have seen in my life.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Aside from Sharlto Copley(wikus) giving chappie character, it was a bland/horrible cast.

There was no point in having Sigorney weaver or Hugh Jackman in there, they easily could have been replaced with
1. Corporate Drove CEO
2. Rhoid rage military guy

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
The first thing that happened in the movie made me facepalm so fucking hard. I'm all for movies being imaginative in certain aspects (I want to be entertained after all, I don't care if everything is completely believable) but when he pitches the AI to the company CEO and she's like "LOL faggot, we make weapons why would we make this" it just baffles me how the character wholeads a fucking advanced military/weapons organisationwould scoff at even testing a product that likely would make them so much money.

Most companies are for profit and they seemed quite focused on that, so why would they give a shit if they could make extra on that robot.

Turned the movie off after about halftime it just felt like a complete mess. The three hoodlums just made it worse with their acting, and the generic badguy who wanted his budget made me go Zzz. Truthfully, it's rare that I turn off a flick after I start watching it but I couldn't stomach through this one

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
it just baffles me how the character wholeads a fucking advanced military/weapons organisationwould scoff at even testing a product that likely would make them so much money.
It's not just that, he is the defacto numero uno guy that made everything happen, you'd think as a CEO you'd placate him, let your number 1 golden goose do whatever he wants, either to just keep him around or he lays another golden egg.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Yeah, it was really retarded. "NO YOU CAN'T USE SCRAP FOR R&D".

And that company is just keeping some crazy "mech" lying around for the lulz trying to pitch it to police? Why the fuck aren't they pitching super robot to the US military for supercash? US loves drones. Or how about that drone cerebral interface? That shit looks awesome.

Oh, but they just make money selling police robots.

Meh. I turned the movie off after the first 30 minutes but went back to it after a few days when I was bored.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
the near end 15 mins of pure action was pretty good. Just FF any part where the annoying white ppl open their mouths and it's a good movie!

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
One of the worst movies I have seen this year. I could not stand the acting or the plot.

the entire thing looked like it was put together by a 12 year old.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Well Blomkamp's admitted he's not digging the writing part of things but he does have a really visionary eye for low-fi scifi.

It seems like he's backing off on the Alien 5 movie too. He's nowexec-producing the movie based on this short, which promises to be a badass near-tech sci-fi (think Aliens) mashup of Dune and Moby Dick about a bunch of space whalers called "The Leviathan".

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Blomkamp has a vision and can so really good visuals. His stories are just ugh. I hope he doesn't drop the Alien movie, I think he could do something good with it. Just get a couple of good writers on it, he can help with the concept etc, let them flesh it out, and him direct.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yeah at least he admits he fucked up Elysium.Anyways it looks like he's still on for Alien 5.But there might be some turbulence:

Crossmap_sl said:
Normally, there are massive pauses in between Alien movies, however Xenomorph fans can rejoice as an untitled Alien 5 by Neill Blomkamp and a Prometheus 2 by Ridley Scott are both being developed at the same time. Recently, Neill Blomkamp had an interview with Empire about the upcoming Alien 5 guaranteeing fans that Alien 5 won't "tread on the toes" of Scott's Prometheus 2.

Neill Blomkamp revealed that the two directors are coordinating with each other, knowing that Ridley Scott is producing Alien 5, "I changed the one thing [Scott] felt was bumping 'Prometheus' a little bit. One thing that makes me feel good about it is that Ridley is producing it. He likes the idea of what I want to make."

Blomkamp joked about the upcoming title of Alien 5, "the first two films are the ones that I care about, he said the title might be "Alien 3 (no, really)".