Cheap Meals: Eating on a budget.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I've become such a chicken snob that I can't even stomach most of the bulk, cheap chicken.

What brand of frozen chicken are you guys buying?

Burns

I've become such a chicken snob that I can't even stomach most of the bulk, cheap chicken.

Those frozen bags of flat chicken are indeed mediocre. They can do well if used for some casserole recipes that call for cubed up or shredded cooked chicken, but other than that, meh.

I think most people here catch fresh (water injected) chicken when it's on sale at various local stores or Sam's/Costco; then load up on 20+ pounds of it. Dividing it up and vacuum packing it (removing almost all the air) will keep it from getting freezer burn for a long time (at least a year or more).

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I don't mind vacuum sealing and I did that a ton for a bout 2 years. I can't handle the shitty fucking chicken at grocery stores unless it's shredded in the crock pot though.

I get mine from the butcher and it's about $14 for two breasts

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't mind vacuum sealing and I did that a ton for a bout 2 years. I can't handle the shitty fucking chicken at grocery stores unless it's shredded in the crock pot though.

Theres a local farm that sells chicken just once a year and it tastes great. They just have a limit on how much you can buy and only raise Chickens as a side-line product next to their beef cattle. The rest of the year Im basically going without eating Chicken. Kroger, Walmart, Food Lion, its like they all have the same chicken with the same funky after taste. I didnt pick up on the flavor until AFTER I had COVID. Lost taste/smell, and when it came back - Im getting new, lets just say "Flavors", that I've never experienced before. A friend of mine says he quit eating Chicken a decade ago because it just didnt taste good anymore. ... I think its just the water filled Chickens. Otherwise, I couldnt explain why the farm raised Chickens taste so much better than ... what I think, is just Tyson chicken.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>

I don't buy frozen chicken. I mean, I'm sure it is frozen at some point (most of the meat in the grocery store is), but I just buy the "family packs" of chicken breasts because they're a dollar cheaper per lb (usually 2.99).

5-6lbs is $15-18, and then depending on whos home when I grill, sometimes the kids get chicken and I get 8-10 meals out of them or sometimes i get 10-12 6oz portions.

Sludig Sludig honestly, the best ones I've found for cheap are the Ziploc meals prep things. Yes, they're plastic. But the specific plastic they are doesn't get brittle in the freezer, and that's the important part. They stack flat, so I can fit a shitload of them in there too. Plus I figure if I'm not reheating sauces, plastic leeching should be minimal. Fuck, I only toss em in the microwave for 45 seconds anyway to warm them up.

I mean, do what works best for you guys, but for me, 10 meals of 50g of protein for $18 is pretty solid, and I'm not sure I can do better. Also, my ex wife only ate chicken (no red meat, very little pork), so I got really fucking good at grilling it, and I can eat it all the time. A lot of people can't, whatever. Alternate it out with pork loin or pork shoulder or whatever is on sale. The biggest thing for me is just buying bulk, meal prepping bulk, and not having to spend a shitload of time doing it.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
It's still pretty hard to beat chicken and eggs. Every two weeks, I buy 5-6lbs of chicken, toss it on the grill, and set up 6oz portions in Tupperware. Throw 3 in the fridge, toss 7-9 in the freezer, and I'm good for 2 weeks for lunches. 252 calories, 50g of protein. Find a marinade or a rub you like and go to town. 6lbs of chicken breast is about $18 if you buy in bulk, and you're good for 2 weeks.

Everyone bitches about the price of eggs, but even at $3 a dozen, 4 eggs is still a dollar, 280 calories and 24g of protein.

Eating overly processed canned shit might be good when nothing else is available, or from time to time, but I'm gonna stick to this
denzel washington GIF

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't buy frozen chicken. I mean, I'm sure it is frozen at some point (most of the meat in the grocery store is), but I just buy the "family packs" of chicken breasts because they're a dollar cheaper per lb (usually 2.99).

5-6lbs is $15-18, and then depending on whos home when I grill, sometimes the kids get chicken and I get 8-10 meals out of them or sometimes i get 10-12 6oz portions.

Sludig Sludig honestly, the best ones I've found for cheap are the Ziploc meals prep things. Yes, they're plastic. But the specific plastic they are doesn't get brittle in the freezer, and that's the important part. They stack flat, so I can fit a shitload of them in there too. Plus I figure if I'm not reheating sauces, plastic leeching should be minimal. Fuck, I only toss em in the microwave for 45 seconds anyway to warm them up.

I mean, do what works best for you guys, but for me, 10 meals of 50g of protein for $18 is pretty solid, and I'm not sure I can do better. Also, my ex wife only ate chicken (no red meat, very little pork), so I got really fucking good at grilling it, and I can eat it all the time. A lot of people can't, whatever. Alternate it out with pork loin or pork shoulder or whatever is on sale. The biggest thing for me is just buying bulk, meal prepping bulk, and not having to spend a shitload of time doing it.

? Fuck me about $15 a container

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Sludig Sludig I know you said you got a ton of tomatoes and potatoes, this guy's recipe for a simple potato salad looks pretty decent, even if he's kind of a fruit.

That's definitely something that I would probably make. I never asked, what type of potatoes did you end up growing where you had retarded amounts of them? Was it red Bliss?

Anyways, I'm glad somebody's garden is turning out to be fruitful.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Theres a local farm that sells chicken just once a year and it tastes great. They just have a limit on how much you can buy and only raise Chickens as a side-line product next to their beef cattle. The rest of the year Im basically going without eating Chicken. Kroger, Walmart, Food Lion, its like they all have the same chicken with the same funky after taste. I didnt pick up on the flavor until AFTER I had COVID. Lost taste/smell, and when it came back - Im getting new, lets just say "Flavors", that I've never experienced before. A friend of mine says he quit eating Chicken a decade ago because it just didnt taste good anymore. ... I think its just the water filled Chickens. Otherwise, I couldnt explain why the farm raised Chickens taste so much better than ... what I think, is just Tyson chicken.
CAFO chickens are inedible. Not only are they water injected, they are fed trash food that fattens them up a huge amount so they can get more $ per pound. Poultry fat is easily some of the most disgusting shit out there, and national brands are full of it. CAFO raised chickens are chlorinated, which is cheaper than not raising them in disgusting conditions.

It tastes like shit because it is shit.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

I can't taste the difference in white meat unless it's freezer burnt. The only "good" tasting white meat is breaded and fried or if it's in a casserole, like King's Ranch Chicken. So, I generally eat it for healthy dietary purposes. In that case, it's about what comes out the least dry and shitty, which is the water injected stuff at the store.

• 1Cringe

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Sludig Sludig I know you said you got a ton of tomatoes and potatoes, this guy's recipe for a simple potato salad looks pretty decent, even if he's kind of a fruit.

That's definitely something that I would probably make. I never asked, what type of potatoes did you end up growing where you had retarded amounts of them? Was it red Bliss?

Anyways, I'm glad somebody's garden is turning out to be fruitful.

At the tail end of tomatoes, partially because she wanted to stop fucking with them, and i sold, traded, used a lot of the taters , down to a 25 lb back of fingerling roasters. Reds and some form of yellow gold, forget exact variety.

Another week or two need to get tilled and ready to plant my fall stuff

• 1Like

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
No.

This shit.

View attachment 540830

But get the Ziploc ones. The Glad ones that look exactly the same don't have the ridges and leak in your work bag. The Rubbermaid ones are brittle plastic and will break in your freezer.
How long do you have in freezer, seems like they'd get burnt before long. Guess that's part of the rotation, I shouldn't leave stuff in for 6 months

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
At the tail end of tomatoes, partially because she wanted to stop fucking with them, and i sold, traded, used a lot of the taters , down to a 25 lb back of fingerling roasters. Reds and some form of yellow gold, forget exact variety.

Another week or two need to get tilled and ready to plant my fall stuff
Do you mind taking a picture of your potato crop? I'm just curious what your setup is, but that sounds really awesome.

No homo

Burns

? Fuck me about $15 a container
These glass ones from Sam's aren't too expensive ($25 per 12 piece variety pack), but there may be places online where you can just order a bunch of the same size. The Sam's ones aren't as good a something like Pampered Chef, but they are cheaper. They freeze well, but leave air in the container, of course, so they are not good for long term (6+ months) freezer storage.

For longer freezer storage, you need to remove all air to prevent freezer burn (vacuum packing machine in bags). A vacuum chamber machine is the cheapest per bag cost, but large upfront cost.

2024-08-11 20.03.34 scene7.samsclub.com 3ef1f6df6cae.png

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Do you mind taking a picture of your potato crop? I'm just curious what your setup is, but that sounds really awesome.

No homo
They were harvested months ago so nothing to see now, wasn't anything fancy just maybe 15x20 foot square with 8-10 rows probably too close to each other, when they sprawled out couldn't weed better them any more

Wet mild spring and a fortune in mushroom compost from the mushroom farm which was really just spent hay, manure, etc and i think worm castings. I don't think we could have had this result in Colorado.

• 1Like

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor

No homo
Wife maybe has something, this is my only photo this is a small portion of what we were pulling up, empty area i already pulled the plant and dumped into compost.

Did about 2 sets of these laid out in guest room to proof.

1000004496.jpg
1000004573.jpg

Attachments

• 1000004492.jpg
    1000004492.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,405
  • 2Mother of God
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
How long do you have in freezer, seems like they'd get burnt before long. Guess that's part of the rotation, I shouldn't leave stuff in for 6 months

I grill every 2 weeks. I always have 3 in the fridge, the rest in the freezer.

No freezer burn issues.

Just to be clear here, because I saw someone else mention marinading raw stuff and freezing it, no.

I buy 6lbs of chicken
Trim it, marinade it.
Grill it 4 hours later
Cut it into strips, put 6oz in each container.
Get 10-12 containers, put 3 in the fridge, rest in the freezer.
I take one to work for lunch every day and the day I take the 2nd one out of the fridge, I pull 2 out of the freezer.

Throw some potatoes or veggies in there if you want too. I am still trying (mostly failing) to get shredded, so I don't want 120 calories of potatoes I don't need fucking up my day, but if that works for you, it works totally fine too. Potatoes, peas, rice, carrots, whatever. Cook it up same day, portion it out, freeze the shit you aren't gonna use within a couple of days, pull them out as you need.

I'm honest when I say all of my meal prep for work takes an hour, maybe an hour and a half every 2 weeks.

• 1Solidarity

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Dude that's awesome. Wish our garden this year was that fruitful. Right on!

Proud Of You Yes GIF

Was that a bunch of green onions on the one side?
Red, white and sweet yellow. Stems left on until they were fully dried at the top

• 1Solidarity