Cheap Meals: Eating on a budget.

Burns

Show me an 8 dollar bottle of merlot!
For cooking, all these are fine (other than the White Merlot or alcohol free, probably):
2024-08-18 10.05.03 www.heb.com e56bf7f1d259.png

I've used the Yellow Tail, Woodbridge, and Lindeman's Cabs to cook with:
2024-08-18 10.07.01 www.heb.com 6b68690a4b5b.png
Dunno why I never thought about pricing out the big 3+ liter boxes of wines for cooking, but they are actually the cheapest per oz and should easily last 6+ months in the fridge, since no air should get in, even as you use it (if it has a bag, in the box).

Current prices from:

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm not a sardine person. But I've never heard of putting Mayo on them. People "round these parts" put Vinegar on them. I personally have just never been a fan of the oily mouth feel, much less the little brittle bones that you chew.
eh if you think about it, sardines and mayo is basically caesar dressing

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Wanting to try this soon, hoping those shitty beef for stew packs semi cheap still, havnt looked in a while.

That's a great YouTube channel. Don't know how about British guy came up on my feed, but he is a old fat British man, and typical makes pies and casserole and potato based dishes. I like him, it's no frills, he's genuine, and he's always makes food that you would happily eat.

It's good stuff, and I suggest watch more of his videos. That's a very good recipe by the way.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
eh if you think about it, sardines and mayo is basically caesar dressing
Eh, I like me some sardines, but hate the taste of anchovy. I really like the sardines in oil and hot chilis. I just put them on a piece of white bread as a sandwich.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
.Eh, I like me some sardines, but hate the taste of anchovy. I really like the sardines in oil and hot chilis. I just put them on a piece of white bread as a sandwich.
I don't necessarily care for sardines, but when I've done true blue Caesar salad the anchovies really sell it.

Why do you not like them so much I'm just curious?

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I don't necessarily care for sardines, but when I've done true blue Caesar salad the anchovies really sell it.

Why do you not like them so much I'm just curious?
I don't mind Caesar dressing, cuz the taste is subdued. However like straight up anchovies on Pizza is disgusting. I think because, to me at least, it's just too fishy.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I don't mind Caesar dressing, cuz the taste is subdued. However like straight up anchovies on Pizza is disgusting. I think because, to me at least, it's just too fishy.
I'm kind of hit and miss when it comes to using them apart from making Caesar salad dressing. We keep the jar of the oil packed ones, and we don't necessarily use them for anything other than just making Caesar salad. They're a little too fishy or oily when you just have them by themselves and that's kind of the same thing with stuff like anchovies.

My step dad used to be anchovies all the time with saltines, been as a kid I remember trying them and I would do it maybe every couple of years or something, but I never could stomach it.
Might be different now I haven't had it and 30 something years, and I might actually be tasty or if I used a better cracker, and maybe a little bit of deal and horseradish or something along those lines.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I'm kind of hit and miss when it comes to using them apart from making Caesar salad dressing.
I grew up eating a lot of canned shit, common among Filipino families. I still eat Spam, Vienna Sausage, and canned corned beef pretty regularly. Those 3 are bascially our version of ham, sausage, and bacon that are typical American breakfast meats.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I grew up eating a lot of canned shit, common among Filipino families. I still eat Spam, Vienna Sausage, and canned corned beef pretty regularly.
One of my best friends is Filipino , grew up down Trinidad. When his mom used to visit him back when we were in college, should bring these empanada things and some type of spring roll and it was always a big thing where everybody would come over to his apartment and we would have wonderful meal, and typically watch a movie.

So bizarre because I asked him the other day if he had the recipe for that, and unfortunately he doesn't. His parents ended up dying because they let their car running in their garage and went to sleep after dinner I'm guessing maybe they were really drunk, but they got carbon monoxide poisoning. Pretty fucked up.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I grew up eating a lot of canned shit, common among Filipino families. I still eat Spam, Vienna Sausage, and canned corned beef pretty regularly. Those 3 are bascially our version of ham, sausage, and bacon that are typical American breakfast meats.
your body composition is 22% nitrates

• 1Worf

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
One of my best friends is Filipino , grew up down Trinidad. When his mom used to visit him back when we were in college, should bring these empanada things and some type of spring roll and it was always a big thing where everybody would come over to his apartment and we would have wonderful meal, and typically watch a movie.

So bizarre because I asked him the other day if he had the recipe for that, and unfortunately he doesn't. His parents ended up dying because they let their car running in their garage and went to sleep after dinner I'm guessing maybe they were really drunk, but they got carbon monoxide poisoning. Pretty fucked up.

I personally only know 3-4 filipino dishes that I am good at making. Those little egg rolls are called Lumpia. I have never made them, because fuck rolling those things for family get togethers lol. Also the hardest thing to find for them are legit lumpia wrappers. Egg roll or wonton wrappers just aren't the same. Most recipes you find for the filling online will be decent though. The Filipino empanadas that I know are very similar to Mexican on the wrapper but are filled with potato, ground beef, onion, peas, carrots, and raisins. I was never a huge fan of them because I don't really like raisins in savory foods.

90% of my friends growing up through high school were white boys. They were always super nice to my Mom when they came over, cuz if she knew they were staying awhile, she'd whip up a big batch of Adobo.

• 1Solidarity

Khane

Got something right about marriage

Maybe they tried to sing "My Way" at Karaoke and got "accidented".

• 1Edgelord

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I personally only know 3-4 filipino dishes that I am good at making. Those little egg rolls are called Lumpia. I have never made them, because fuck rolling those things for family get togethers lol. Also the hardest thing to find for them are legit lumpia wrappers. Egg roll or wonton wrappers just aren't the same. Most recipes you find for the filling online will be decent though. The Filipino empanadas that I know are very similar to Mexican on the wrapper but are filled with potato, ground beef, onion, peas, carrots, and raisins. I was never a huge fan of them because I don't really like raisins in savory foods.

90% of my friends growing up through high school were white boys. They were always super nice to my Mom when they came over, cuz if she knew they were staying awhile, she'd whip up a big batch of Adobo.
That's exactly what I remember us having. He was always super excited because I guess he grew up eating that all the time. Just remember everyone being off during Christmas vacation during college, and he busted out all the stuff his mom brought him.

Had a chance to meet his parents at his first wedding, which didn't last long, but they were wonderful people, and when you're told you are family, you really were. I guess in a weird sense that's it is strange deals where people pass on and take away or take with them knowledge and skills help he doesn't know how to make the dish. The only reason I am no is because I asked him the other day if he had the recipe, because I remember enjoying it so much back when we were in school.

I'm sure it was probably something pretty simple but I don't know what the hell it was called, but I think it's something I would like to make soon, and if I can perfect it I can share it with him.

Thank you, sir!

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Had a chance to meet his parents at his first wedding, which didn't last long, but they were wonderful people, and when you're told you are family, you really were. I guess in a weird sense that's it is strange deals where people pass on and take away or take with them knowledge and skills help he doesn't know how to make the dish. The only reason I am no is because I asked him the other day if he had the recipe, because I remember enjoying it so much back when we were in school.
Yeah, it is a very Filipino thing to feed people when they are at your house and it's just part of our hospitality. My friends were always weirded out at first because it was unusual to them. Everytime my Dad saw them first thing he'd ask is if they had ate and if they said no he'd ask my Mom to make stuff or he'd offer to order pizza or something. Also, you are never "full" at a Filipino house, they'll just pile more food on your plate.

One of my best friends told his family about it and so whenever I ended up over there they would pull the same stuff on me. My biggest introduction to "American" food was through him. Although they were one of those eat the same stuff every week, so I have had more than enough tuna noodle casserole to last me a lifetime.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, it is a very Filipino thing to feed people when they are at your house and it's just part of our hospitality. My friends were always weirded out at first because it was unusual to them. Everytime my Dad saw them first thing he'd ask is if they had ate and if they said no he'd ask my Mom to make stuff or he'd offer to order pizza or something. Also, you are never "full" at a Filipino house, they'll just pile more food on your plate.

One of my best friends told his family about it and so whenever I ended up over there they would pull the same stuff on me. My biggest introduction to "American" food was through him. Although they were one of those eat the same stuff every week, so I have had more than enough tuna noodle casserole to last me a lifetime.
I have a Korean buddy who used to do hardwood flooring and tile work for us, but he's basically family. Anytime you go to their house and if you're having dinner it's a literal feast. I've gotten to meet his folks as well, has mom just passed away not too long ago which was pretty sad. Last time I saw her with my buddy, it was her and a whole bunch of her older friends or something. We are reading a ton of king crab, and I mean a ton, and dumplings and all kinds of other crazy Asian dishes. Was a hell of a lot of fun and all these old Korean people were getting super drunk on Korean vodka. Great time.

Oriental people are just that way and it's wonderful.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Cook this shit up real crispy then slap some over easy eggs on top and eat like a king

1724026494122.jpeg

• 4Like
  • 2Quality Calories
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Cook this shit up real crispy then slap some over easy eggs on top and eat like a king

View attachment 542254
I used to eat all that type of shit when I was a kid. That same brand you linked, too. Its still good, in a way? But I swear to God all that shit, Vienna Sausages, Potted Meat, etc. I SWEAR it tasted different 20-30 years ago. Similar to what it used to be in the same way that Fruit Loops, Lucky Charms, Trix and all that shit tasted different but the same. My real dad says the same thing, but his timeline is double mine of course.

With that said, the authentic shit made in the kitchen is just :emoji_ok_hand:

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Vienna Sausage just tastes wrong, I dunno if it's because of all the preservatives or what. Spam and canned corned beef don't bother me even if I don't terribly care for them but Vienna Sausages have an intense aftertaste of regret.

• 1Solidarity