Cheap Meals: Eating on a budget.

Burns

I grill every 2 weeks. I always have 3 in the fridge, the rest in the freezer.

No freezer burn issues.

Just to be clear here, because I saw someone else mention marinading raw stuff and freezing it, no.

I buy 6lbs of chicken
Trim it, marinade it.
Grill it 4 hours later
Cut it into strips, put 6oz in each container.
Get 10-12 containers, put 3 in the fridge, rest in the freezer.
I take one to work for lunch every day and the day I take the 2nd one out of the fridge, I pull 2 out of the freezer.

Throw some potatoes or veggies in there if you want too. I am still trying (mostly failing) to get shredded, so I don't want 120 calories of potatoes I don't need fucking up my day, but if that works for you, it works totally fine too. Potatoes, peas, rice, carrots, whatever. Cook it up same day, portion it out, freeze the shit you aren't gonna use within a couple of days, pull them out as you need.

I'm honest when I say all of my meal prep for work takes an hour, maybe an hour and a half every 2 weeks.
How long it can sit in "marinade" depends on the marinade. If it is spices, oil, and water based, then it can sit overnight just fine or be frozen in the marinade (to then thaw in the fridge overnight). If it has a decent amount of acid in it that starts to breakdown the meat (Pineapple Juice), then yea, no more than 4 hours usually. I've read that up to 6 hours when marinating Fajita beef in a pineapple base won't degrade the meat enough for it to matter, but never let it go that far (Chevy's or Pappasito's recipe).

I've used the vacuum pack, seal, and freeze method, in marinade, for 100's of pounds of chicken too and it turns out fine. I've froze, with the chicken, anything from various spice packs from Weber or McCormick (with Italian Dressing) to liquid stuff like Stubbs, Korean BBQ marinade, or Indian Vindaloo sauce.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
How long it can sit in "marinade" depends on the marinade. If it is spices, oil, and water based, then it can sit overnight just fine or be frozen in the marinade (to then thaw in the fridge overnight). If it has a decent amount of acid in it that starts to breakdown the meat (Pineapple Juice), then yea, no more than 4 hours usually. I've read that up to 6 hours when marinating Fajita beef in a pineapple base won't degrade the meat enough for it to matter, but never let it go that far (Chevy's or Pappasito's recipe).

I've used the vacuum pack, seal, and freeze method, in marinade, for 100's of pounds of chicken too and it turns out fine. I've froze, with the chicken, anything from various spice packs from Weber or McCormick (with Italian Dressing) to liquid stuff like Stubbs BBQ, Korean BBQ, or Indian Vindaloo sauce.
The Muppets Yes GIF by ABC Network

Fucker

Log Wizard
I can't taste the difference in white meat unless it's freezer burnt. The only "good" tasting white meat is breaded and fried or if it's in a casserole, like King's Ranch Chicken. So, I generally eat it for healthy dietary purposes. In that case, it's about what comes out the least dry and shitty, which is the water injected stuff at the store.
You eat fried chicken dipped in ranch sauce for the purpose of a healthy diet?

What is your alternative? Crisco in an IV drip?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

You eat fried chicken dipped in ranch sauce for the purpose of a healthy diet?

What is your alternative? Crisco in an IV drip?
No, since the only "good" tasting chicken is what I listed, I don't generally eat "good" tasting chicken, at least when compared to everything else I can cook. I will cook a casserole maybe twice a year, but I haven't had fried chicken in 5+ years, and even then it was homemade parmigiano reggiano & bread crumbs on boneless chicken strips, pan fried. I haven't had fried chicken from a restaurant in 15+ years.

For me, chicken ranges from barely edible dry shit (from the ironed out cheap frozen bags of it), to better than any other mediocre food that I could eat that's healthy (but it's still a mediocre food). Plus you can't beat it for calorie consistency and protein per calorie. It's also super easy to prep and cook, so I'm not wasting a bunch of time cooking it.

Last edited:

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Don't remember what thread it was in, but there was a conversation the other day about canned tuna / fish. For some reason my phone was spying on me, and threw this video up. There really is some weird niche channel for just about everything under the sun. I present The Canned Fish Files!

Which one of you is this? His goddamn cat on his desk top is perfect. Just thought it was funny. Autism always finds a way.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
No, since the only "good" tasting chicken is what I listed, I don't generally eat "good" tasting chicken, at least when compared to everything else I can cook. I will cook a casserole maybe twice a year, but I haven't had fried chicken in 5+ years, and even then it was homemade parmigiano reggiano & bread crumbs on boneless chicken strips, pan fried. I haven't had fried chicken from a restaurant in 15+ years.

For me, chicken ranges from barely edible dry shit (from the ironed out cheap frozen bags of it), to better than any other mediocre food that I could eat that's healthy (but it's still a mediocre food). Plus you can't beat it for calorie consistency and protein per calorie. It's also super easy to prep and cook, so I'm not wasting a bunch of time cooking it.
try buying whole chickens from asian or mexican markets, you can tell those chickens are just different

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Don't remember what thread it was in, but there was a conversation the other day about canned tuna / fish. For some reason my phone was spying on me, and threw this video up. There really is some weird niche channel for just about everything under the sun. I present The Canned Fish Files!

Which one of you is this? His goddamn cat on his desk top is perfect. Just thought it was funny. Autism always finds a way.

This motherfucker makes $800/month making fish videos on patron.

What the actual fuck

• 1Worf

Burns

Lookout fuckers!

Canned mass produced sauce is disgusting. Making it from scratch isn't hard or expensive. That goes for tomato or the various white sauces. Baked Ziti is the EZ-mode lasagna and doesn't look any harder than what she is doing there.

I've made other stuff from this lady's cookbook, but never this particular Ziti, but gives an idea of what it takes. I prefer to use red wine (cheapest cab or red blend) in my red sauces and use hot Italian sausage instead of hamburger (should be cheaper):

The American palette seems to like a sweeter sauce, instead of sugar, I would recommend using a 1- 1.5 cup(s) of a sweeter wine like Merlot or maybe Shiraz and sweet Italian sausage.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Canned mass produced sauce is disgusting. Making it from scratch isn't hard or expensive. That goes for tomato or the various white sauces. Baked Ziti is the EZ-mode lasagna and doesn't look any harder than what she is doing there.

I've made other stuff from this lady's cookbook, but never this particular Ziti, but gives an idea of what it takes. I prefer to use red wine (cheapest cab or red blend) in my red sauces and use hot Italian sausage instead of hamburger (should be cheaper):

The American palette seems to like a sweeter sauce, instead of sugar, I would recommend using a 1- 1.5 cup(s) of a sweeter wine like Merlot or maybe Shiraz and sweet Italian sausage.

Don't be gay. Plenty of fuckers out there that would enjoy a nice meal.

I also think you should have drone strikes, and soldiers positioned on the border wall laying down lead upon anybody trying to cross into our country. Try to come in through Mexico, be destroyed.

That's my diagnosis as a doctor!

Burns

Don't be gay. Plenty of fuckers out there that would enjoy a nice meal.
A starving man will eat dog food and be thankful he found it, doesn't mean it's good!

Also, I don't think that abomination that the redneck is making is much, if any cheaper than the Baked Ziti from Gina there. Adding 1/3 of a bottle of $8 wine might tip the balance when I make it though.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
A starving man will eat dog food and be thankful he found it, doesn't mean it's good!

Also, I don't think that abomination that the redneck is making is much, if any cheaper than the Baked Ziti from Gina there. Adding 1/3 of a bottle of $8 wine might tip the balance when I make it though.
bam yes GIF

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i tried a 6 pack of sardines from costco, not bad, 4 whole sardines, no head, add some mayo if you want i guess.

btw i make my mayo now once i saw you can just use a stick blender instead of using the food processor, thats why they have that stupid hole to drip oil into at the top
5d6a6aa08a93095bd26f995999a85a6e.png

i got a few wide mouth jars and just use a bit of avocado oil and an egg, or you can follow this

i also juice my lemons w/ a chopstick, i guess i could get a lemon juicer... but i know you don't believe me, but i'm trying to cut down on shit in the kitchen

• 1Like

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Wanting to try this soon, hoping those shitty beef for stew packs semi cheap still, havnt looked in a while.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to

giphy.gif

• 1Worf

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
i tried a 6 pack of sardines from costco, not bad, 4 whole sardines, no head, add some mayo if you want i guess.

btw i make my mayo now once i saw you can just use a stick blender instead of using the food processor, thats why they have that stupid hole to drip oil into at the top

i got a few wide mouth jars and just use a bit of avocado oil and an egg, or you can follow this

i also juice my lemons w/ a chopstick, i guess i could get a lemon juicer... but i know you don't believe me, but i'm trying to cut down on shit in the kitchen

I'm not a sardine person. But I've never heard of putting Mayo on them. People "round these parts" put Vinegar on them. I personally have just never been a fan of the oily mouth feel, much less the little brittle bones that you chew.

Burns

Sure, but can you make Miracle Whip?!?

For the lemon: It looks like you would only get half of the lemon juice due to not being able to squeeze it enough. I make my own Lemonade type drink (Lemon Shake Ups) with a masher I made out of PVC pipe that should work better, even if you just want lemon water. You can also buy kits, usually in the bar and cordial section, because Alcohol users like to make mashed & shaken drinks.
2024-08-18 08.42.34  697100c151f0.png

I don't make it very often, and I use 2 packs of sweetener (Splenda) instead of sugar. This is exactly how it's made at any concession stand I have been to, except you need a larger plastic/paper cup to go on top than what he is using (the 32oz plastic cups work well). The larger top cup also allows you angle it for a solid seal that's easy to shake:

Last edited:

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>

Show me an 8 dollar bottle of merlot!