Cheap Meals: Eating on a budget.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Is it specific to cooking method? I mean the description given above (a boneless skinless breast, just baked dry on a baking sheet) is something I've never done with chicken. Does it happen with other cooking methods?

I grill 6lbs of chicken every other week for meal prep, has nothing to do with cooking, just the biology of how chicken is raised these days. I think most chickens are only 5-6 weeks old when they're butchered. Grow too big too fast

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Hormones are not legal in any poultry in the US. Even Tyson advertises "no antibiotics ever" on most of their chicken now. I've never seen this either and I wonder if people who say it's rampant everywhere have just read about it and convinced themselves that they are getting it all the time. It's generally thought to just be a side effect of breeding chickens to grow as fast as possible.

I'll have to look at the packages next time I at the store, but I thought it said hormone free, but maybe it was antibiotics or whatever.

I honestly had never heard of this deal tell everybody was posting about it yesterday. Lanx Lanx and his description of what it's like is pretty crazy though.

Is it happening with any other type of animal protein, beef, pork, turkey, whatever, or is it just relegated a chicken?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I grill 6lbs of chicken every other week for meal prep, has nothing to do with cooking, just the biology of how chicken is raised these days. I think most chickens are only 5-6 weeks old when they're butchered. Grow too big too fast
What are you typically making with it? Just wondering.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
How's this more curious what do you do for a quick meals. Are you just eating it by itself or making different dishes with it?

CHICKEN.

I literally just have 10-12 prep bowls in the fridge and freezer at any time. Hungry? Eat chicken.

Hard to build and maintain muscle mass when you're older. Gotta focus on not losing what you have. And not losing what you have requires a shitload of protein. Activity level drops when you get older, so not getting fat requires less calories and more nutrient dense food. Grilled chicken is top of the list for both of those goals. Find a marinade or spice combo you like, taste is subjective.

So, yes, literally, my lunch 5-6 days a week is 6oz of grilled chicken and 2.5oz of blueberries to keep the sweet cravings at bay. Ends up being just under 300 calories for 50g of protein.

It's also is pretty fucking cheap when you think about it. Chicken breast was on sale for $1.99lb last week so we bought 10lbs.

Edit : forgot the most important part. I just feel better eating 200g of protein every day. I'm not saying mentally, im saying literally I'm in less join pain (probably as a result of working out more, but whatever), and the biggest one for me is I struggled with stomach and small intestine ulcers for over a decade with repeated 2-3x a year flare ups for months at a time and those have completely gone away.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
CHICKEN.

I literally just have 10-12 prep bowls in the fridge and freezer at any time. Hungry? Eat chicken.

Hard to build and maintain muscle mass when you're older. Gotta focus on not losing what you have. And not losing what you have requires a shitload of protein. Activity level drops when you get older, so not getting fat requires less calories and more nutrient dense food. Grilled chicken is top of the list for both of those goals. Find a marinade or spice combo you like, taste is subjective.

So, yes, literally, my lunch 5-6 days a week is 6oz of grilled chicken and 2.5oz of blueberries to keep the sweet cravings at bay. Ends up being just under 300 calories for 50g of protein.

It's also is pretty fucking cheap when you think about it. Chicken breast was on sale for $1.99lb last week so we bought 10lbs.

Edit : forgot the most important part. I just feel better eating 200g of protein every day. I'm not saying mentally, im saying literally I'm in less join pain (probably as a result of working out more, but whatever), and the biggest one for me is I struggled with stomach and small intestine ulcers for over a decade with repeated 2-3x a year flare ups for months at a time and those have completely gone away.

You don't ever do protein supplements?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Just implant an extra large chicken breast under the skin in each arm. Instant biceps! I wonder if the misc-ers know about this.

• 2Worf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Skip the freebasing, that sounds delicious.
I actually do something like this to make a beef powder that I use in some dishes. I normally squirrel away meat scraps that are in the 'better than stock fodder but worse than stew meat' but this time I'm thinking I'll just use a beef heart.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I actually do something like this to make a beef powder that I use in some dishes. I normally squirrel away meat scraps that are in the 'better than stock fodder but worse than stew meat' but this time I'm thinking I'll just use a beef heart.

On the topic of beef hearts, hearts are one of the best foods for dogs, and I bought a whole case of them one year for Zel. They're about the size of a football, which is a little much for a German shepherd for one meal, and that's when I found out that there is still a LOT of blood inside a beef heart. It looked like I murdered a hooker on the deck when I tried to cut that thing in half.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
On the topic of beef hearts, hearts are one of the best foods for dogs, and I bought a whole case of them one year for Zel. They're about the size of a football, which is a little much for a German shepherd for one meal, and that's when I found out that there is still a LOT of blood inside a beef heart. It looked like I murdered a hooker on the deck when I tried to cut that thing in half.

Well now you can come up with an alibi to explain the blood if they ever investigate you for the next hooker you kill!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have a little 2 gallon food grade bucket that I use for all sorts of things, with beef hearts I fill it with cold water and let the heart sit in the water for 15-20 minutes then I change the water and any piece of the heart I'm done with or not actively processing waits for me inside the bucket. Improves the flavor a lot when it comes to human consumption although I doubt a dog cares.

Also I buy them individually and already partially prepped (still plenty of work to do), I'm guessing a case of them was mostly or entirely unprocessed hearts.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i've only ever seen beef heart and liver in asian grocers, where do you ppl see the heart? at a dedicated butchers?

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
i've only ever seen beef heart and liver in asian grocers, where do you ppl see the heart? at a dedicated butchers?

I used to merchandise for one of the major pop companies, so i spent a ton of time in grocery stores talking to the workers there. Even if they don't carry it, they can get it from their suppliers. I had them order me a case of them and it was on the next truck.

• 2Like

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I have a little 2 gallon food grade bucket that I use for all sorts of things, with beef hearts I fill it with cold water and let the heart sit in the water for 15-20 minutes then I change the water and any piece of the heart I'm done with or not actively processing waits for me inside the bucket. Improves the flavor a lot when it comes to human consumption although I doubt a dog cares.

Also I buy them individually and already partially prepped (still plenty of work to do), I'm guessing a case of them was mostly or entirely unprocessed hearts.

Yeah, it was literally a heart in a bag. And 5 or 10 of them in a case. Just full of beef blood. And the dog fucking loved it, but the mess kept me away from getting them too terribly often.

Going hunting this year, so we'll see how the whitetail heart goes over, but my new dog appears to be a fucking vegan or some shit, so I'm not super optimistic. Not lying, bitch eats every fruit or vegetable you give her. Zel was like "not meat? Fuck off with that shit."

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Just implant an extra large chicken breast under the skin in each arm. Instant biceps! I wonder if the misc-ers know about this.
Then you slowly become more chicken like. Randomly pecking the ground and chasing people with flying kicks.