Cheap Meals: Eating on a budget.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You can almost always tell woody breast by looking at it. We stopped buying chicken for awhile because our stores were.plagued by it. Seems to have settled down now

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
You can almost always tell woody breast by looking at it. We stopped buying chicken for awhile because our stores were.plagued by it. Seems to have settled down now
When you guys are talking about woody chicken, I'm assuming it's just a mealey texture? I don't think I've ever bought chicken where that's been an issue. I also don't buy frozen chicken but on rare occasions when I catch it on sale maybe.

I'm guessing it's also boneless skinless stuff?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
When you guys are talking about woody chicken, I'm assuming it's just a mealey texture? I don't think I've ever bought chicken where that's been an issue. I also don't buy frozen chicken but on rare occasions when I catch it on sale maybe.

I'm guessing it's also boneless skinless stuff?
i've seen it in whole chickens b4

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
i've seen it in whole chickens b4
Is it just like a weird texture or something? I just don't think I've ever had chicken that's been that way other than like maybe old freezer burned chicken or something. I guess the whole woody aspect that's not something I've ever gotten when Ive bought chicken.

What exactly is it, kisses very screwed up texture?

I got all my chicken from HEB, I don't know where they get their stuff from but by any of the other brands like Tyson or Pilgrims. Maybe it's just in a certain area of the country like other people said coming from certain farms.

Maybe it's crazy bird flu related.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not really mealy. Imagine if you bit into a raw piece of chicken. You've probably never done it, but you can imagine how your mouth would feel biting into the texture. That's exactly what it feels like, but the chicken is fully cooked.

You can usually identify them by looking at the breast. If a lot of the muscle fibers are white it's usually a good sign it's woody.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
It's kind of - almost crunchy? It's like it squeaks on your teeth when you chew it

It's a huge problem these days with almost all brands of chicken, but the easiest way around it is you just don't buy the dinosaur chicken breasts.

Also helps a lot if you tenderize them before cooking

Fucker

Log Wizard
Not really mealy. Imagine if you bit into a raw piece of chicken. You've probably never done it, but you can imagine how your mouth would feel biting into the texture. That's exactly what it feels like, but the chicken is fully cooked.

You can usually identify them by looking at the breast. If a lot of the muscle fibers are white it's usually a good sign it's woody.
Modern chicken is nasty. Illegal to import in all of EU for a reason.