Cities: Skylines

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
What's up with all my people getting sick? I got plenty of cemeteries, hospitals, clean water, residential is way the fuck out of industrial... what the fuck?

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
This game literally makes no sense to me.

U1cABl1.png

Why are the highways not connected?! (obviously not connected to the city, I mean the bottom highway isn't connected from one end point to the other.

lol basically just broke my game because the highways wont reconnect.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Havent ran into that problem yet, Sutekh lol.

Anyone know how I can get better graphics out of this game? Shit just looks so... "meh" I want grittier, cleaner lines, etc. You know - all the shit you do to Elder Scrolls when you dont have a shit PC.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Why are the highways not connected?!
Hard to tell from the size of the pic but are the highways running the right direction? Not sure why else they would be doing that.

Anyone know how I can get better graphics out of this game? Shit just looks so... "meh" I want grittier, cleaner lines, etc. You know - all the shit you do to Elder Scrolls when you dont have a shit PC.
There are a couple of graphics mods on the steam workshop. I've got one that disables the film grain and a second that helps with AA.

Faris

Golden Squire

U1cABl1.png

Why are the highways not connected?! (obviously not connected to the city, I mean the bottom highway isn't connected from one end point to the other.

lol basically just broke my game because the highways wont reconnect.
Did you watch the direction of the highways? Highways are basically one-ways, which need to go into the right direction. If you do it wrong it kinda does this: <<<<<!>>>>>!<<<<<< and you get the error symbol at the ! points.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
God damnit. Thank you. Spent about 60k remaking the highway in the wrong direction.

Ancallagon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Can't really tell from the picture - one way road and you drew it the wrong way? Meaning the ends on the left and right are both expecting travel from west to east, and you drew the middle filler section east to west?

Only thing I could think of - when you draw a one way road the traffic on it travels the way you draw it.

edit - bah, answered too quick. I slow.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Biggest city I've seen so far is just over 500k on a Twitch stream last weekend. I expect you should be able to get to 1 million in time once optimal configurations have been found for roads and zones. That's with 9 "blocks". If you have a flat "plains" type map with as little water as possible and have a rig that can run all 25 "blocks" you should be able to do some quite large cities. Probably 5+mill I'd say.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Apparently regardless of unlocking all the space, the game hard-caps at 1mil population. You can zone it, but nobody will ever move in past 1mil. They did this due to the fact that every "cim" is simulated, and they had to cut it off at some point, because they didn't want people melting their computers, I guess. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if some people have issues at 1mil or even lower population, the fact that everything is actually simulated is pretty impressive.

sebur

Bronze Squire
yeah, one thing I keep seeing pop up is "just bulldoze it".
This is a bit of another reason the cities end up looking so artificial. In reality, terraforming is super expensive and usually not feasible.
You tend to have unlimited funds and power in these games.

In reality, you need to answer to historical societies, you cant just bulldoze a historical districts for hotels.
the EPA, you can't just bulldoze a bird sanctuary for a mall.
Finances, you can't just take money from education, and build a themepark because you feel like it.
You have to answer to voters, get elected, etc. you have thousands of self interested people building the city. not one unified vision.

want to build a more real city. roll a 20 die every time you want to build or tear something down. 10-20 go for it. 2-9 it fails to pass, try again next year. 1 critical failure. that spot is now a landmark as is, and can not be touched.
You do make some points, but some of the points you make certainly aren't entirely valid. If you want to go that route then do I have the ability to be a corrupt politician and influence the vote? Maybe throw some money around and make people vote my way? The problem with making something like you want is there are entirely too many ways and options that would also need to be implemented to allow for this system and it would probably murder systems to the extent that it would have to be a really small pop game and overly complicated and not fun.

The idea really reminds of the "simulation" racing games that try to be real but end up failing because they aren't real. You just have to try and make a good game that fundamentally makes sense IMO.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Apparently regardless of unlocking all the space, the game hard-caps at 1mil population. You can zone it, but nobody will ever move in past 1mil. They did this due to the fact that every "cim" is simulated, and they had to cut it off at some point, because they didn't want people melting their computers, I guess. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if some people have issues at 1mil or even lower population, the fact that everything is actually simulated is pretty impressive.
The largest 9 tile standard city I've seen on a twitch stream was around 500k when they started hitting balance problems trying to get the city to grow more. Once you learn the basic mechanics of the game getting to 500k is probably just time but after that balancing things to get to 1 million will probably be a challenge.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Just unlocked Airport.

I've just designed an optimal grid pattern, I think I can beat 500k. We will see once I clone the one section of it I've made across the map.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Speaking of 500k, they just passed that in sales. Really good to hear.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm at 140k and I've spent the past 5+ hours fixing minor traffic issues.

BTW: Never run your rails across roads. Always use overpasses or train bridges or whatever.

Eventually your train tracks become so crowded that nothing can get through them.

I'm about ready to delete all my passenger rails, I need the train tracks free for cargo.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Took the leap and bought this game after hearing all of the overwhelmingly positive feedback. Going to try playing the style where you have several small independent towns sprawling across the map with some rural areas inbetween and gradually let it evolve into a metropolis.

mcG8AZ8.jpg

Araxen

I'm so glad to see the game sell so well. 500k is huge for Paradox and the game is still #1 on Steam atm. It just shows you the power of Twitch/Youtuber's nowadays. It really got the word of mouth out there for the game.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I'm ecstatic this game is doing so well, with such overwhelmingly positive reviews. This is a niche genre if there ever was one, and to see it sell 500k+ so quickly is phenomenal.

Daidraco

The one thing I really thought was innovative about Sim City though, is that you had an online part where you could trade etc. with neighboring real life people. Wish Paradox could pick that up.

faille

Molten Core Raider
It doesn't hurt that they've price is pretty reasonably. Hard to complain about a game when it's this cheap.