Cities: Skylines

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The one thing I really thought was innovative about Sim City though, is that you had an online part where you could trade etc. with neighboring real life people. Wish Paradox could pick that up.
I wouldn't mind online. I enjoy both playing alone and playing with others.

I would love more specific diversity also. While resources are in this game, they dry up extremely fast. Would like to see things like oil city, toursim city, electronics/computer mfc city etc.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yeah my city is only at 16k at the moment but I had a nice big oil reserve on the other side of some water, so I built a bridge over and set up a huge oil industry zone (probably started setting it up around 7k population or whenever it is that oil industry unlocks), then at about 14k population the oil was gone and my traffic turned in to a nightmare so I rezoned it as general industry (I had about 1000x too many trucks importing oil clogging up my train station/etc) and now it's mostly just a giant empty zoned section because I didn't have anywhere near enough demand for general industry. I think maybe 1/4th of the zone has filled back up so far.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Is it wrong that I loved activating the 'unlimited' option and just designed to my hearts desire? I love sandboxes because I'm more into the design and planning of the city and less than administration/budgeting.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I hope that 1mill cap is also moddable, as sure, it makes sense for modern processors, but if people are still playing this game 5 years down the line then I bet high range processors then will be able to handle significantly more.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The one thing I really thought was innovative about Sim City though, is that you had an online part where you could trade etc. with neighboring real life people. Wish Paradox could pick that up.
What I liked more than that was the intent for a global economy that affected your demand. Is everyone online right now using huge commercial and high tech cities? Well now it's impossible to be successful building one, but building a agricultural farmhouse would be much easier, or a dirty industrial city. Is no one online right now using a lot of big tourist attractions? demand is now higher and you can make a lot of money with your Sim Vegas.

Of course the shit never worked in SimCity5, but the idea was solid because it added replayability.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It would've worked in SimCity though when the cloud wouldve still ressources left after calculating all those billion sims daily routines and demands in real time.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Put my first roundabout into my city because I needed an off ramp for my freeway, took about 2 hours - game is crazy. It's compact, none of this crazy shit people are doing. I can't see how massive 100 land interchanges and zoning on circles is efficient, for a start it's wasted space.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Cemeteries/landfills are annoying to deal with. I have 10 cemeteries in my "downtown" area (33k pop) and it's just like it's never enough and I get mass die outs every so often where the whole section is just abandoned building, sick and dead icons across all of it. It just snowballs, cemeteries fill up, etc, etc.

Why am I bad? My first thought was traffic but it doesn't seem to be the case.

faille

Molten Core Raider
You should bust out the crematoriums!
Is it wrong that I place them next to the incinerators?

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Cemeteries/landfills are annoying to deal with. I have 10 cemeteries in my "downtown" area (33k pop) and it's just like it's never enough and I get mass die outs every so often where the whole section is just abandoned building, sick and dead icons across all of it. It just snowballs, cemeteries fill up, etc, etc.

Why am I bad? My first thought was traffic but it doesn't seem to be the case.
Yea, those elderly death waves suck because I freak out whenever I see a bunch of bodies piling up and monitor it until they're all gone. My city is over saturated with crematoriums probably. But from what I can tell its a normal flow for the game. Its probably just a batch of people that moved to the area at the same time/age dieing off. I always double check illness, med center coverage to be safe.

Edit: too many dead will cause sickness to spread and it can snowball. Things to check are med center coverage, ground pollution and water pollution. I ditched my only cemetery early in the game and run purely off incinerators now(92k)j

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Made a city, hit 100K+ residents two days after launch and haven't touched it since, not sure why yet but I don't feel like playing it right now. I don't regret buying it and will be back but it is just meh right now.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I think something this game could benefit from is some sort of scaling cost for additional services. For example, currently if you build a police station, it's X dollars/week. Any additional police station is still X dollars/week. But in real life, since police within a city is all under the same umbrella, maintaining and managing all of that gets more and more complicated, requiring more "office" or "manager" style police employees, and such. So Cities could make each additional service facility of the same type cost more, X+n(Y) dollars/week, basically. Or even an exponential curve of some sort.

TLDR, at some point (In Cities: Skylines) cash becomes a complete non-issue, directly related to scale, which is unrealistic. The bigger and more dense/complicated a city is, the more of a shitfest it is to fund it.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They need to have fire stations have a wider area of coverage. It's pretty unrealistic on how small of an area they cover. I live in a town of 10k and we have 1 fire station but in Skylines you need like six at the very least.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Well I'll agree that emergency vehicle coverage is slightly strange. The inability of their vehicles to cut through traffic is quite unrealistic, that very rarely happens in real life. But honestly, I'm not sure if that wouldn't just simply trivialize the traffic portion of the game. The radii of the fire stations could probably be expanded though.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They need to have fire stations have a wider area of coverage. It's pretty unrealistic on how small of an area you need to cover. I live in a town of 10k and we have 1 fire station but in Skylines you need like six at the very least.
How many giant factories does your 10k town have in real life?

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Ended up picking it up, the 1st person mod did it. I suffer from the same thing others have mentioned with these games. Get all into it the first couple days and then just drop it. Dunno what it is but I end up getting bored with these games pretty quick. Really wish there was an MP element to it.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Still puzzled on people filling half their maps with highway interchanges? I just made a fairly small 30 x 30 highway roundabout and it works (could make it smaller really).

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Ended up picking it up, the 1st person mod did it. I suffer from the same thing others have mentioned with these games. Get all into it the first couple days and then just drop it. Dunno what it is but I end up getting bored with these games pretty quick. Really wish there was an MP element to it.
I'm kind of that way too, once I had built everything there is to see, I lost interest. Haven't touched it in a couple days. I'll probably let the game sit for a few weeks or a month, then download a shitload of new mods and play it again with all the new stuff added.

I see Cities:Skylines being the type of game that I come back to over and over again over the next several years, to fill the gaming gap between other games. Have a blast with it for a few days, then shelve it again for a while. It's definitely not the type of game to hold your interest for a month straight, but I don't see me uninstalling it for probably years.