Coffee Thread

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Been drinking coffee for forty years and been noticing the quality of "off the shelf grind" going to crap and taste like mud. Any robust coffee drinkers have a brand that I could try that is worthy of a auto-drip machine?

I've become more of a tea drinker nowadays, but I used to really like Cafe Bustello.
51j86z-qPOL._SY355_.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I used to drink El Pico when I lived in Georgia, then I couldn't find it anywhere when I moved back to East Bumfuck Dakota. A couple years later I saw Cafe Bustelo on the shelf at Walmart. I'm not 100% sure they're exactly the same, but I think they probably are. So the good news is that I found the coffee I like, but the bad news is I have to go to Walmart to get it.

Edit: JavaCabana Suspicions confirmed correct. They're both made by the same company at least. The funny thing is that in the couple year span between drinking El Pico and Cafe Bustelo, I drank mostly Medaglia D'Oro which turns out to be the same company too. It's good too, but I prefer the Latin ones.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I've been doing my own cold brew for a couple of years. I was using Starbucks french roast, but switched over to Don Pablo several months ago. About a month ago I was suffering through a cup of Don Pablo cold brew and I realized, this tastes like fucking rotting garbage. Why am I doing this? So I went back tot he Starbucks but have been experimenting. I was thinking of trying the Starbucks DIY cold brew kit at home, when I get the cold brew from the store it really does the trick, the homemade stuff just isn't the same, so I considered that. The stuff in the store hits me like amphetamines. Right now I'm doing the Chameleon premade cold brew, especially the vanilla. Good stuff, not the same but it doesn't taste like artisanal midwestern ass crack and it seems to work ok.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I tried a sampler of Laughing Man Colombia Huila K-cups a few days ago and it gets a thumbs up as a no hassle cuppa for it's faint dark chocolate and dried cherries taste on the finish.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've been doing my own cold brew for a couple of years. I was using Starbucks french roast, but switched over to Don Pablo several months ago. About a month ago I was suffering through a cup of Don Pablo cold brew and I realized, this tastes like fucking rotting garbage. Why am I doing this? So I went back tot he Starbucks but have been experimenting. I was thinking of trying the Starbucks DIY cold brew kit at home, when I get the cold brew from the store it really does the trick, the homemade stuff just isn't the same, so I considered that. The stuff in the store hits me like amphetamines. Right now I'm doing the Chameleon premade cold brew, especially the vanilla. Good stuff, not the same but it doesn't taste like artisanal midwestern ass crack and it seems to work ok.
what are youu using as your cold brew method?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I use a French press, rough grind of the beans and soak 12 hours ish. It seemed to work well at first but not so much lately, especially with the Don Pablo beans. The Starbucks beans make an acceptable product but it's nowhere near what you get in the store. That's my ultimate goal, I want to get close to that or do better if possible.

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
Not possible... Starbucks and other big name companies have bought all of the premium beans and you'll need to contact the supplier directly to accomplish that. That is why we have "Mudd" as a consumer.

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
contemplating growing my own beans and roasting them, for shits n giggles
So... I was reading your profile after this post to see where you lived to grow your own Java... and then I fell on the floor laughing where you were last seen at. "Venezuela reinstitutes slavery". Looking for workers?

Siliconemelons

So... I was reading your profile after this post to see where you lived to grow your own Java... and then I fell on the floor laughing where you were last seen at. "Venezuela reinstitutes slavery". Looking for workers?

I mean, if its legal.. (edit <-- this is a joke you fucking NSA webcrawler!)

lol but I live in FL so I can grow coffee fairly decently if I wanted to... same with tobacco - researched both.

FL is basically, not the best - but you can because of its climate - most QQ purists its just because of the soil.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
Yep, big corporate coffee places has bought up the Grade A coffee beans and leave us with the mudd that is left over. Last three years South America coffee growers has lost most of the trees from coffee tree rust and had to cut them all down.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
contemplating growing my own beans and roasting them, for shits n giggles
buy green beans first and try roasting em.

you can go from mega cheap popcorn popper to a mini pro 200ish roaster.

i only dabbled in the popcorn roasting, after a while too much work, lots of smoke.

Siliconemelons

buy green beans first and try roasting em.

you can go from mega cheap popcorn popper to a mini pro 200ish roaster.

i only dabbled in the popcorn roasting, after a while too much work, lots of smoke.

yeah I only did a few hours of searching and whatnot - FL can grow them, but lots of talk about soil and importing soil to do pot based growing- I don't know what site it was but trying to buy beans to grow was kinda funny - beans 10$ - will you use them to grow not just roast? yes? 100$ - but again that was like 1 obscure site... lol

A lot of why I never do it is because I always get a hankering to garden at the completely wrong time of the year and then when its planting time I do not feel the urge again.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I use a French press, rough grind of the beans and soak 12 hours ish. It seemed to work well at first but not so much lately, especially with the Don Pablo beans. The Starbucks beans make an acceptable product but it's nowhere near what you get in the store. That's my ultimate goal, I want to get close to that or do better if possible.
dude, wtf, cold brew and don pablo=no good, it actually isn't smooth at all.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
dude, wtf, cold brew and don pablo=no good, it actually isn't smooth at all.
Someone told me it was good for it, I thought that was here. But yeah, can confirm, no Bueno. Tastes like dirty, bitter water.

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
Finally got off my ass and bought an aeropress. Why didn't someone kick me in the ass and force me to buy one of these a long time ago?