College Football 2014-15

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I think muschamp needs one more year. Get his players in there, you know?
I agree. He looked like he needs to be put on suicide watch at the end of the game. He was probably thinking "Screw this" I rather go back to being an assistant coach.

Borzak

Any leading candidates? Make it simple since I haven't followed football at all since bowl season of last season.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
I think being mediocre is more fun than being expected to win every game. It feels kinda good to just be able to be happy about squeaking a win past a Texas Tech rather than being overly disappointed. 17 points in 5 minutes with a 55 yard field goal to win. Let's go 'ears!

Edit: Fuck you RichRod. Yes I'm still mad.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Any leading candidates? Make it simple since I haven't followed football at all since bowl season of last season.
Nah but the booster talk is he's gone stayed this year for contract reasons I believe.

Borzak

I watched the 2nd half of the game. I really thought Florida had it multiple times including late in the 4th. With the ability that Miles has to fuck up time managment I was sure of it.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
I think being mediocre is more fun than being expected to win every game. It feels kinda good to just be able to be happy about squeaking a win past a Texas Tech rather than being overly disappointed. 17 points in 5 minutes with a 55 yard field goal to win. Let's go 'ears!

Edit: Fuck you RichRod. Yes I'm still mad.
A "W" is still a "W". Even if it gave me heart palpitations. Thats why I like watching Marshall games. I know if we're going to win or lose by the 2nd quarter because the score is always something like 35-0. There's no stress with Marshall games.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I watched the 2nd half of the game. I really thought Florida had it multiple times including late in the 4th. With the ability that Miles has to fuck up time managment I was sure of it.
I would have liked to win but whatever. This season needs to end(and get driskel out too what a shitter)

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Interesting article, and after reading it I probably agree. Jameis needs to get out of Tallahassee ASAP, they've been sheltering him from the shitstorm that is looming as long as they can and it sounds like it is about to run out.

Jameis Winstons best legal move may be to drop out of Florida State - College Football - SI.com

I can be pissed all I want about my teams recent lackluster performances, but at least we kick our criminal sh*tbags to the curb immediately(and honestly, every D1 team is going to have some eventualy), we don't let them linger around for a season and a half in the name of winning football games. Very few programs do that. I've always respected Mark Richt at Georgia for that too, his punishment usually comes down swiftly on players, regardless of how good they are. Alternately, as good of a coach as he is I'll never respect Bill Snyder at K-state, he has no issue with harboring known criminals for the sake of the almighty football W.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If they do, they are gone. We often kick players completely off the team before legal charges even come to fruition. Pinkel doesn't fuck around. When we kicked Dorial Green-Bekham off the team(#1 recruit in the country in 2012), the only legal charge he had ever been filed with was criminal tresspass (he had other things looming, and we booted him before he was ever formally charged with anything)

I'm not saying we don't have players that break the law, we do just like anyone else. Generally a misdemeanor will get you a suspension for a few games, a 2nd one is maybe a season suspension/possibly kicked off the team. If someone gets arrested for anything violence related, they are generally done immediately whether charges come later or not. Since joining the SEC 3 years ago, Missouri has had 10 arrests(7 separate players). 8 of the 10 arrests were marijuana-related. The 3 guys that got arrested twice are all gone. The other 4 players all served multi-game suspensions even though legally they got penalties that were no more than misdemeanor fines.

Mizzou, Georgia Top List of SEC Student Athlete Arrests | KOMU.com | Columbia, MO |

A lot of Mizzou fans actually feel that Pinkel is too tough on the kids(especially in the case of Marijuana incidents) and that it possibly hurts our recruiting, but he's kind of an old-school hardass, and I don't mind it.

Not every program necessarily needs to be that strict, but the other extreme is something like Florida State where you just let your star player keep on playing under allegations of rape, theft, and soon to be taking money(just like Gurley). They're going to ride that cash cow until the NCAA tells them they can't. Missouri pretty much never waits for an official NCAA ruling on a kid, they're long gone before it even gets to that point. Georgia could have easily let Gurley keep playing until the NCAA made a ruling. Florida State sure would have. A&M sure as heck didn't do anything to Manziel until the NCAA made them for his autograph ordeal.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Has there ever been a year where there were no undefeated teams by the end of the season? It feels like that could happen this year.

AP is out. Kinda intersting.

1 Mississippi State (45) 6-0 0
2 Florida State (12) 6-0 0
3 Ole Miss (3) 6-0 0
4 Baylor 6-0 0
5 Notre Dame 6-0 0
6 Auburn 5-1 1144
7 Alabama 5-1 0
8 Michigan State 5-1 1015
9 Oregon 5-1 1014
10 Georgia 5-1 981
11 Oklahoma 5-1 935
12 TCU 4-1 917
13 Ohio State 4-1 648
14 Kansas State 4-1 626
15 Oklahoma State 5-1 620
16 Arizona 5-1 590
17 Arizona State 4-1 459
18 East Carolina 5-1 449
19 Nebraska 5-1 402
20 Utah 4-1 305
21 Texas A&M 5-2 264
22 USC 4-2 258
23 Stanford 4-2 223
24 Clemson 4-2 188
25 Marshall 6-0 148

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
In 2007 a 2-loss LSU won the national title

This year may end up being just as crazy

I could absolutely see something like a 2-loss Alabama or Auburn still winning the West and be ranked about 7th, go to the SEC title game and beat a top-10 Georgia and make it into the Final 4 playoff and winning it all. I think the SEC champ would have to have 3+ losses to not make it into the playoff.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I don't think so, but they did win the SEC West as recently as 1998...somehow.

Egg Bowl > Iron Bowl this year. Maybe.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
We aren't winning out. My original prediction was splitting the MS, losing to Georgia, and Alabama. Looking like that will be true with the exception that we can easily lose to Ole Miss now as well. And I get to be there for that game!

State still has a long road ahead so there are definitely paths to win the west. I mean if we were going to lose we couldn't have picked a better time . The unfortunate thing is we just aren't going to take care of our part.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So if the Irish manage to scrape a win this coming week against Florida State, will people finally acknowledge that they are a relevant football program again? How about if they just manage to prevent it from being embarrassing? Let's say the final score is 21-17 for Florida State. Is Notre Dame legit?

Kaines

Potato Supreme
So if the Irish manage to scrape a win this coming week against Florida State, will people finally acknowledge that they are a relevant football program again? How about if they just manage to prevent it from being embarrassing? Let's say the final score is 21-17 for Florida State. Is Notre Dame legit?
As legit as a Baylor team who "has only played one ranked opponent and struggled to win." The AP and Coashes polls are meaningless. They are nothing but a popularity contest, and Baylor and ND aren't the darlings of the ball right now. The entire state of Mississippi is. Win out, don't take a bad loss, and in the end, the playoff committee will make sure they get a seat at the table.

But ND is in the same spot as Baylor. We HAVE to go undefeated to get a spot in the final four. A one-loss Baylor or one-loss ND will get overlooked for a 1-loss SEC/PAC-12 or even 2-loss SEC West team.