Computer Issues

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
what's the built in AV on windows 10? Defender? Can I run that and something like Avast at the same time?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
You can, but why? Most AV software will shut down Defender when you install it. More isn't usually better, just slower.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm having some RAM issues when playing WOW, which is odd because I have 12GB of RAM with a 500GB ssd and a mediocre graphics card. Normally this is just when having Chrome open at the same time with a few tabs, but I feel like I shouldn't be having any problems.

Any suggestions? Or am I just overestimating?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
What makes you think that it's a RAM issue? If it's because you don't see much "free" memory, don't worry about it unless you also see the amount of cached/available RAM down near 0. "Free" is a bogus term at this point as the OS constantly caches large amounts of memory.

12GB is more than fine for a system running WoW and Chrome, even with more than a few tabs open.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
What makes you think that it's a RAM issue? If it's because you don't see much "free" memory, don't worry about it unless you also see the amount of cached/available RAM down near 0. "Free" is a bogus term at this point as the OS constantly caches large amounts of memory.

12GB is more than fine for a system running WoW and Chrome, even with more than a few tabs open.
Constant Windows Error stating there isn't enough free memory and pop ups (legit windows popups) asking to close down high-memory apps (Wow).

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Constant Windows Error stating there isn't enough free memory and pop ups (legit windows popups) asking to close down high-memory apps (Wow).
Windows 8?
wow full screen?
then you have some weird win8 memory error with memory leak with chrome cuz your game resolution is different than your desktop resolution, cuz, idk, that's probably it.

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Windows 8?
wow full screen?
then you have some weird win8 memory error with memory leak with chrome cuz your game resolution is different than your desktop resolution, cuz, idk, that's probably it.
Win 10, fullscreen windowed.

That's probably it. Fucking chrome.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Stupid question but is Windows recognizing all of your RAM? (and BIOS)

Chrome is retarded on memory, but it shouldn't be THAT retarded. 12GB is more than enough for Chrome and WoW

Assuming you're using a 64-bit OS and running WoW 64-bit

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Stupid question but is Windows recognizing all of your RAM? (and BIOS)

Chrome is retarded on memory, but it shouldn't be THAT retarded. 12GB is more than enough for Chrome and WoW

Assuming you're using a 64-bit OS and running WoW 64-bit
Yeah, I can see all 12GB (3x 4GB sticks).
Win10 64Bit
I'm assuming WoW is 64 bit via the launcher...

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If you open task manager with everything running you can see what's using memory if you expand details

Right now I have:
WoW: 2.5GB
Spotify: 227MB
Chrome: 102MB (1 tab)

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
If you open task manager with everything running you can see what's using memory if you expand details

Right now I have:
WoW: 2.5GB
Spotify: 227MB
Chrome: 102MB (1 tab)
Yeah, between that and resource monitor is how I verify memory usage, I just didn't have wow open to check.

Spot check puts bnet launcher at 32bit and Wow at 64bit.
Maybe my chrome browsing is just shit, since it's usually 4-10 tabs open at a time.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just as a point of evidence I opened 10 tabs

Each tab took up 75MB so I doubt that's your problem unless you have a massive memory leak in chrome

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Just as a point of evidence I opened 10 tabs

Each tab took up 75MB so I doubt that's your problem unless you have a massive memory leak in chrome
I suspect it's chrome :(

What addons do you have/use? Maybe that's part of my issue...

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I suspect it's chrome :(

What addons do you have/use? Maybe that's part of my issue...
Check it out yourself, in chrome SHIFT+ESC, will bring up Chrome task manager, do you have a few youtubes open and shit? do you have the gif thread or video thread open too? easily takes up 300megs.

why? have no fucking idea

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Check it out yourself, in chrome SHIFT+ESC, will bring up Chrome task manager, do you have a few youtubes open and shit? do you have the gif thread or video thread open too? easily takes up 300megs.

why? have no fucking idea
Nah, I expect to have issues then. It's a few reddit pages, couple of non-animated-graphic-intensive ReRe threads, and a couple other shit pages.

I did remove the checkbox for chrome to use hardware acceleration, and it seems like it's working better now, but it's anecdotal.