Computer Issues

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I had heat issues with my pc where playing any game caused it to lock up after about an hour of game play. I replaced the liquid cooling system in it and I thought solved the problem. However it still locks up when I play WoW or No Man's Sky.

I am at a loss as to what to do or even try and troubleshoot. I have thought about replacing the vid card(NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 Ti) but I don't want to drop the money without having a pretty good idea that will fix the problem.

Any ideas from you guys to try before going that route

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I don't actually know... I was using speedfan but after I installed the new cooling system and win10, speedfan causes a bsod when I try and run it. I tried reinstalling it and it still does. I am not sure why. Any other program I can use?

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Thanks for both tips a_skeleton_06.

Temps:

No Load:
cpu ~26 C
gpu ~34 C

Load:
cpu ~33 C
gpu ~78 C

And the load was as soon as No Man's Sky loaded. I didn't even play, just loaded into game.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I had heat issues with my pc where playing any game caused it to lock up after about an hour of game play. I replaced the liquid cooling system in it and I thought solved the problem. However it still locks up when I play WoW or No Man's Sky.

I am at a loss as to what to do or even try and troubleshoot. I have thought about replacing the vid card(NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 Ti) but I don't want to drop the money without having a pretty good idea that will fix the problem.

That 760 is 3years old? if more than likely the thermal paste dried up or was put on wrongly

also the 760 reference cooler got hot, if you have one like this
gtx_760_5b.jpg

you're fucked
only the guys with open air designed twin or triple fans never overheated
MSI-GeForce-GTX-760-Gaming.jpg

My joe dirt poor solution? take the cover off your reference cooler, put a 120 fan right on top of it and zip tie, problem solved. (you can also redo the thermal paste too, probably old and crusty)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
My card does indeed look like the reference picture above. Thanks all for the help I appreciate it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just loading up overwatch my GPU instantly goes to 75C

How sure are you that you are overheating? 78C is not out of the norm

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
78C is not bad at all. My 980ti will get up to 60C just from web browsing, and will run in the mid 80's in an actual game. Also, don't you think that a BSOD from trying to run a monitoring program is an indication that something else might be wrong there?

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Just loading up overwatch my GPU instantly goes to 75C

How sure are you that you are overheating? 78C is not out of the norm

I am not 100% sure that I am, its only a guess. If it was just NMS I would probably write it off to that game itself. But it also locks while playing WoW and its always about an hour after I start. Every time.

78C is not bad at all. My 980ti will get up to 60C just from web browsing, and will run in the mid 80's in an actual game. Also, don't you think that a BSOD from trying to run a monitoring program is an indication that something else might be wrong there?

The bsod error message is an IRQ error with that program specifically.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider

I had a hard locking issue - which I was blaming on the GPU - until I tried 3 different cards and it happened to all of them. It only happened while a game was running (and oddly happened way more with EverQuest of all games than any other) and for me it was just a complete freeze with a constant loop of whatever sound slice was playing at the time. Sometimes I would get a BSOD after a minute sometimes it would literally just stay frozen until I hard power cycled. I replaced the power supply first, and that helped take me from 2-3 freezes per play session (in EQ) to maybe 1 every other play-session.

I finally combed through the BIOS and found some power management setting that was set to automatic that I turned off and that solved the problem. I don't fully know why but my best guess is that I was having some dips or spikes in power that was triggering this power management facility. I would assume it was supposed to do something other than just freeze, but who knows.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Installed my new GTX 1070 today, downloaded and installed drivers off evga.com (sidenote: had to pull some shenanigans to be able to delete the install file after I installed it, kept saying it was in use by explorer.exe). Now my pc has 25% of the cpu constantly hogged by svchost.exe(netsvcs). Ran malwarebytes, nothing. Also, I can't get windows to install any updates that have been pending, it just sits on "downloading, 0/100%" forever. Issues might be related, not sure.

Thoughts?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Definitely uninstall the driver from EVGA, clear out all traces of it and install the latest driver from Nvidia. I haven't used a manufacturer's driver for a video card in probably 15 years.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Still having an issue with my GTX 1070

For reference - if I play Overwatch I get 200-250 FPS on average. When my computer sleeps and I wake it up and load the game again, my FPS averages 100-130 (half). I've looked and the EVGA software is indicating that my clock speed is like 60% of what it should be or somewhere like that.

I've updated the drivers and that didn't seem to help. Resetting my PC does help, but obviously that's a shitty solution.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't know how the EVGA software works well enough, I don't know if I can turn the clock speed back up? It's almost like the cards going into a power saving mode and not recovering.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Still having an issue with my GTX 1070

For reference - if I play Overwatch I get 200-250 FPS on average. When my computer sleeps and I wake it up and load the game again, my FPS averages 100-130 (half). I've looked and the EVGA software is indicating that my clock speed is like 60% of what it should be or somewhere like that.

I've updated the drivers and that didn't seem to help. Resetting my PC does help, but obviously that's a shitty solution.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't know how the EVGA software works well enough, I don't know if I can turn the clock speed back up? It's almost like the cards going into a power saving mode and not recovering.

MSI afterburner and look at the clock speeds?