Computer Issues

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So my wife has been having issues with our wifi this week (dropping connection). This morning I guess it didn't work at all. So I just got home and looked at my router logs, and I've got a ton of this:

Oct 13 11:37:01 HTTP login: Detect abnormal logins at 1130 times. The newest one was from 37.192.170.XX.

IP looks like it's from Russia. I can't tell if that means login attempt, or if they're just trying to brute force my router for some reason.

I believe my wife's issue is separate, related to this log:

Oct 10 18:46:27 kernel: eth1: received packet with own address as source address

Not sure really what to do about either. Sound like my wife's laptop has a virus or trojan maybe?

Last edited:

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Update on above: I think the Russia thing was just a random brute force that was completely unrelated.

I updated the firmware, fixed the time server (not a huge issue, but thought maybe), and redid all the static IP's. The router doesn't throw up any logs for the dropped connections. It happens on both our phones, however. They'll drop the connection and try to authenticate again (not sure if this is what the laptop is doing).

My desktop, 2 roku's, HTPC, and a tablet don't have any issues.

Any ideas?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
This is fucking killing me...

I've got a friend's laptop I was going to upgrade to a SSD. I remove the original HD, duplicate the old spinning HD to the new SSD, and installed the SSD into the laptop. Every time I boot, it tells me a boot drive isn't present... even when I reinstall the old spinning HD I get the same error. I tried running checkdisk on the drives via a win10 recovery disk but there weren't any errors found. Even the drive self-checks and SMART checks pass, so I have no idea what the fuck is going wrong.

I'm now downloading the win10 media creation tool so I can try a clean install of win10 on the SSD.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Go into the BIOS, check that the value for the boot order to hard disk is set correctly. Especially if it's UEFI, because that is a common issue.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Go into the BIOS, check that the value for the boot order to hard disk is set correctly. Especially if it's UEFI, because that is a common issue.

To piggyback on this, when going from a mechanical hdd to an ssd, you usually have to change the drive type from ide (or sata) to ahci.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also, you shouldn't be cloning from HDD to SSD. A fresh windows install will auto detect the SSD and change settings / format to account for it.

Best you wipe and start over. Just migrate data over that is needed afterwards.

• 1Like

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yeah, I left that out because it's been repeated ad nauseum here already.

Honestly, I would do a fresh install regardless, even from HDD to HDD. I hate cloning Windows installs unless there is no other choice. So much garbage collects on Windows systems over time, it's nuts.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm probably getting into the must-have software but what are you using to migrate data?

Also, part of the reason to clone the computer is she's adamant she doesn't want windows 10. :|

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I think I am going to be okay here, but I want to make sure.

I built a new PC but am going to be using the same HD's. I have a total of 4, with the SSD having the OS on it. Now I realize I need to completely reformat the SSD and will need to do a clean install of it, no issue there. However, the other drives I simply use for storage (movies, tv shows, pictures, docs, etc.) Will I have any issue pulling those out and plugging them into the new PC and having all the data there? I assume it will be fine, but I want to make sure before I pull them out. I don't really have another place to back it all up, so I will be screwed if I can't make it work.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think I am going to be okay here, but I want to make sure.

I built a new PC but am going to be using the same HD's. I have a total of 4, with the SSD having the OS on it. Now I realize I need to completely reformat the SSD and will need to do a clean install of it, no issue there. However, the other drives I simply use for storage (movies, tv shows, pictures, docs, etc.) Will I have any issue pulling those out and plugging them into the new PC and having all the data there? I assume it will be fine, but I want to make sure before I pull them out. I don't really have another place to back it all up, so I will be screwed if I can't make it work.
MAKE SURE

you DO NOT

connect your other drives D/E/F, whatever, your data drives

AT ALL

when reformatting, installing new system.

ONLY have C drive in there.

Windows 7 (and i think 8) have this thing of putting some weird ass shitty MBR thing on other drives to see if C drive works or some shit. It won't matter on the initial install or a few months down the line, but if you remove one of the drives and try to boot, it wonks it out, until you do a /MBR repair.

TLDR:

only install C drive first

• 1Like

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah that was my plan. I was going to reformat the SSD, do a clean windows install, then hook up the other HD's later. I actually got an external enclosure because I bought a really small case and it doesn't have room for all the HD's. So I will be hooking those up after the PC is all up and running

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Maybe look into a synology or free-nas if you have the dough. They beat the fuck out of having a bunch of random data drives stashed in your computer.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Maybe look into a synology or free-nas if you have the dough. They beat the fuck out of having a bunch of random data drives stashed in your computer.
I had actually considered that initially, but I wasn't ready to invest the extra cash to go that route right now. So I bought a $100 external enclosure that will do what I need for now.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Don't think that would work with this case

Amazon.com: Fractal Design Case FD-CA-NODE-202-BK: Computers & Accessories

Another question. I use 2 of the HD's in a RAID type configuration, but I just use the Windows 10 Storage Spaces to mirror them. I can only assume that configuration won't carry over to the new computer since it would be OS specific. Do I need to remove all the files from those HD's, and then delete that storage space? Or can I safely just plug them in and assume it will show 2 HD's with identical files on it?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Don't think that would work with this case

Amazon.com: Fractal Design Case FD-CA-NODE-202-BK: Computers & Accessories

Another question. I use 2 of the HD's in a RAID type configuration, but I just use the Windows 10 Storage Spaces to mirror them. I can only assume that configuration won't carry over to the new computer since it would be OS specific. Do I need to remove all the files from those HD's, and then delete that storage space? Or can I safely just plug them in and assume it will show 2 HD's with identical files on it?

The storage pool info is stored on the disks so it will carry over. Theyll show up as read only at guest but you can import them and set them read write.

• 1Like

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
The storage pool info is stored on the disks so it will carry over. Theyll show up as read only at guest but you can import them and set them read write.
Oh sweet, thanks! That will save me time copying over to another drive.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah, I left that out because it's been repeated ad nauseum here already.

Honestly, I would do a fresh install regardless, even from HDD to HDD. I hate cloning Windows installs unless there is no other choice. So much garbage collects on Windows systems over time, it's nuts.
Figured it out, MBR was corrupted for some reason. Fixed it and it worked, then convinced her we should do a fresh install. I appreciate the help, thanks (everyone)!

• 1Like

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Got my new computer all put together and up and running. However I am having a problem with the Graphics card. This is the card ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 DUAL-GTX1070-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com

After the initial Windows install, I started to install all the usual programs and there as a notification about a driver update and to reboot. Once I rebooted the GPU fans spun up to full speed and would not slow down, shit was loud as hell. I do some searching around and finally came across a thread where someone was having the same issue. They uninstalled the NVIDIA graphics driver and it slowed down the fans, so I went and did the same thing and it worked. However, now what do I do? Don't I need to have the graphics drivers in to have full functionality? For instance right now I tried plugging the HDMI in for my TV, but it isn't even showing up.

Edit: As soon as I uninstall it I am getting a notification from Windows about a display driver update and to reboot. As soon as I do the driver is back on there and the fans get stuck to 100% again

Last edited: