Deadwood

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, season 3 was supposed to lead to the omgwtf blowup in season 4. It would have been goddamn epic. But once they got the word that HBO was not renewing (apparently they knew pretty early in) they redid the last scene to serve as a stopping point.

The funny thing is that apparently Deadwood was getting way better ratings than any of their shows now get. The problem was they were comparing it to the Sopranos ratings, which it was actually on par with, but it was more expensive and the execs at HBO just didn't like the show. So it gets canceled while Arliss went on for 132 seasons.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I can't help but think, in hindsight, especially of Game of Thrones* now, HBO can't help but kick themselves for not paying another season or two they needed.

(*I can't help comparing the two a bit, maybe because I watched them close together, maybe because I feel they are similar due to ensemble cast, boobs, cursing, violence, etc.)

khalid

Unelected Mod
There is no doubt that HBO is a different network than the one that cancelled Rome and Deadwood, both of which they pretty openly admit were mistakes.

Then again, they did cancel Luck. That still makes me angry.
frown.png

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I never watched Luck. But John From Cincinatti was goddamn awful. Just awful. When Luke Perry is the best actor on your show, something is amiss.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
There is no doubt that HBO is a different network than the one that cancelled Rome and Deadwood, both of which they pretty openly admit were mistakes.

Then again, they did cancel Luck. That still makes me angry.
frown.png
Wasn't Rome cancelled because of a fire that burned down all their sets? They claimed it was too expensive to rebuild or something?

BTW just watched Rome again, such a great series. Lucius Vorenus & Titus Puollo are fucking awesome together.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My understanding is that they were taking great care of the horses, they were just old horses and more prone to injury.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
My understanding is that they were taking great care of the horses, they were just old horses and more prone to injury.
This, old race horses break their legs very, very easy. And they can't heal, so they are euthanized. Luck was great for all the horses involved, because most of them would have been euthanized without being used there and being there they were treated like fucking kings. Once again, PETA being short sighted. That said, Luck wasn't that good to be honest.

As for Rome--Rome's sets burned down after they cancelled. The reason they cancelled is because the BBC didn't want to renew their funding and between Rome, Sopranos and Deadwood, HBO couldn't keep all three and since Rome was by far the most expensive, it got the axe. Set burned down later which killed any hope of a movie ect.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I never watched Luck. But John From Cincinatti was goddamn awful. Just awful. When Luke Perry is the best actor on your show, something is amiss.
I wanted to like that train wreck so much. I don't blame the actors for the show sucking though, Ed O'Neil in particular was really good in it, but the entire story of the show was just nonsense. Presumably they would have made it make sense in future seasons but you can't have a whole season where you don't even let the audience know what's going on with the main character. It was a self indulgent wank-fest that I blame David Milch for 100%.

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
Cancelled shows hmm... Luck and Kings being cancelled hurt.
frown.png
I understand why they were each cancelled but still, Luck especially would've been awesome next season and after I'm sure.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
JohnFC was sadly part of the reason the Deadwood main man didn't fight his corner very hard as he was already starting to focus in on that. As far as the actors knew the movies were a possibility but it was always going to be a long shot, as soon as a cast like that breaks up getting them all together again at the same time is hella hard. Then once they had broken up the sets (they didn't do it straight away which gave some hope) everyone knew it was unofficially dead even if HBO have never admitted as such.

Olyphant says the cancellation came out of the blue, he had literally just bought a house and got the phone call a few days later. He laughingly admits that is why he made Hitman, they offered him it and a ridiculous salary very soon after the word about Deadwood got out and he took it to pay off his mortgage.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
So I'm rewatching S1 during the holiday TV lull and I got to thinking that Flora (the girl that Dan falls in love with before she gets her brains mashed in by Tolliver for stealing) was a good actress and really pretty and I wonder what ever happened to her so I go to IMDB and it's fucking Kristen Bell! Maybe this is not news to anyone but me but I don't know how I didn't put that together as many times as I have watched this show. I guess I just couldn't recognize her as a curly haired brunette.

yz5nz8p.jpg

BTW Deadwood holds up X1000. The writing in S1 is so goddamn good.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Its really one of the only series I go back and watch past two times. It doesn't get old.

iannis

Musty Nester
Coooocksuckah.

Cocksuca.

I never did watch the final episode. I did not want to see major hearst win any harder[\b]. It just made me sad.

I saw an interview a while back with the guy they brought back from s1 to play the rapey serial killery assistant in s2. It made me laugh when he said he couldn't believe they let him do that shit either, and he wasn't such an idiot to say no when it was offered... But he did at least ask them if they thought it was kinda weird. Apparently the answer was, "whatever". Lol. He was pretty good though. But that part of it was just weird for tv. A couple of stage actors on that show I think.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That dude is a crazy good actor. He was also the Russian on Life. He played 3 different roles on Deadwood.