Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Ryzen looks like it belongs in servers and not on the desktop. Who needs an 8 core system on the desktop?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
People who think i7s are worth it? Only reason the i5/i7 has been quad since its inception is because AMD simply could not compete so no reason for intel to produce 6/8 core mainstream cpus.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've actually been putzin' around the idea of getting some old server xeons (they only cost like 20bucks for a 8core chip), it's possible to get a 16core 64gig machine for less than $200, just gotta attach the serverboard to a plank of wood

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Ryzen looks like it belongs in servers and not on the desktop. Who needs an 8 core system on the desktop?
Going out on a limb here but I would say the tens of thousands of people buying these chips do.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I am thinking about getting a 34" 21:9 monitor. The Asus ROG or Acer Predator both seems to be exactly the same spec wise. Anyone have any experience with other one?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Looking at new monitors as well. I want G-sync as I have a 970, and I think G-sync will become more important as that card ages. As a price compromise, I'd like to stay 1080p, but up the refresh rate. Is this what I should be looking at?

Acer Predator XB241H Bmipr 24" 1ms 1920x1080 Gaming Monitor G-Sync HDMI 350 cd/m2 1,000:1 Built-in Speakers-Newegg.com

Thanks!

I just bought one of those on black friday. I've been pretty happy with it, though the backlight could be a little more even.

The only thing that annoys me is that every time I wake the computer, my taskbar moves back to monitor 1 from monitor 2, where I want it. It's probably something to do with the new monitor on display port and the other on DVI or something.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I just bought one of those on black friday. I've been pretty happy with it, though the backlight could be a little more even.

The only thing that annoys me is that every time I wake the computer, my taskbar moves back to monitor 1 from monitor 2, where I want it. It's probably something to do with the new monitor on display port and the other on DVI or something.
That's a good reminder. I think my 970 has 2x DVI + 1 HDMI. Do I have to go Display Port for 144hz?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?

It's display port that's doing that. It does all kinds of goofy shit where when the monitors go in to power saver the computer doesn't even see them connected anymore and reverts to default display settings until they show back up after wakeup. Wandows *should* be smart enough to recognize them and put your display settings back (mine does), but it's still annoying to have to move all my windows back to 2nd/3rd screens if they go to sleep for some reason.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I am thinking about getting a 34" 21:9 monitor. The Asus ROG or Acer Predator both seems to be exactly the same spec wise. Anyone have any experience with other one?
I've heard the ASUS one is better.

They both don't seem worth it. I would find a good standard 1440p monitor with 120+ hz and gsync and use that for a couple years. I have a funny feeling that 2 years from now we're going to have 4k OLED screens with 12-bit color and 120+ hz that aren't even all that expensive.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's display port that's doing that. It does all kinds of goofy shit where when the monitors go in to power saver the computer doesn't even see them connected anymore and reverts to default display settings until they show back up after wakeup. Wandows *should* be smart enough to recognize them and put your display settings back (mine does), but it's still annoying to have to move all my windows back to 2nd/3rd screens if they go to sleep for some reason.

Hopefully it will get better as the tech matures, but yea.. DisplayPort annoys the fuck out of me. I run dual monitors and sometimes I just want one monitor turned on while I watch a movie or game or whatever. With HDMI, you can just turn one off and its no issue at all. However, with my DisplayPort monitors, the PC acts as if I have disconnected one from the computer and shoves all icons and displays as if only 1 monitor is plugged in. They both will blank out for a few seconds as the computer configures a reconnect in each state. It's annoying as shit.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Ryzen is supposedly launching around $800 meaning that AMD probably won't capture shit for market share and they'll be obsolete again at the end of next year when Intel goes to 10nm

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ryzen is supposedly launching around $800 meaning that AMD probably won't capture shit for market share and they'll be obsolete again at the end of next year when Intel goes to 10nm

Source? Everything I have read has been rumors. The consensus seems to be $400-$500 for the 8 core. Again, no pricing has been officially released.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
From that exact article:

...Although some of the relevant details have already been revealed, other important details are still being speculated up to now including release month and potential price of AMD's Zen based processor architecture...

... it has been reported by PC World that the price range of AMD Ryzen CPU will likely be around $800...Apart from that, an alternate scenario has also been presented, which would potentially shatter the dominance of Intel in the CPU industry. If an 8-core Zen came in at $500 as some leaks would suggest, then buyers will likely shift to AMD, given that Ryzen's performance will deliver a core i7 performance in a much lower price...

However, there is still no confirmation regarding these leaks and predictions, it would be best take info with a grain of salt.

• 1Like

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
kegkilla kegkilla Re gains from Intel 10nm.... shrug.... those diminishing returns just keep getting smaller from shrinks..... no biggie there.

Looking at gap in ipc and overall perf on average:
Chances gap will stay same or increase? Zero.
Because Intell is stalled in IPC improvments atm even next years models are unlikely to increase gap with amd.

Chances gap will decrease significantly? 100% based on parity in some real benches where old arch was sh*t.

So whatever happens AMD will have a decent gain with significantly more competitive CPU arch across board in 2017 compared to recent years, with better to come once HBM2 APUs arrive, hard to see any imminent doom scenarios.

• 1Like

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Got an ACER 21:9 curved monitor for $499 on Cyber Monday. I fucking love it. Will never go back to the hassle of multiple monitors.

work: plenty of room for 2-3 docs on screen

games: look amazing and 2560*1080 isn't especially taxing on your video card

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I'm on a 21:9 1080p monitor and have a 1440p Qnix as my secondary, lol. For many that would be backwards, and I get that, but just love the ultrawide. Eventually I'll get a higher resolution 34".

• 1Like