Desktop Computers

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well it's the 24in version of the 27in model but the same "panel" basically. The color settings worked for me so I'm not going to complain.

Last edited:

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Semi related to the thread, but the stock is up another 27% from this post 20 days ago.
.... the leaks from very very early A0 engineering samples are looking decent (for ES) not worse. Product is looking competitive, perhaps even very. Previews and reviews coming in perhaps as little as a few weeks.

Last edited:

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Bump with Info from some reasonable/reliable sources not too prone to embelishment... No idea really how reliable these rumours actually are ... so serve with lump of salt, however still interesting.

(1) Intell *looks* to have been caught napping WITH pants down (R&D wise) so we might have to wait for a couple of years before any sort of decent response to Zen (if any is necessary).Hillarious if true.... perhaps Intel will pull a DEC ? Doubtfull IMO but still good for competition. ARM ISA is making some minor inroads into HPC.

Canard PC (source French article)
imgur(dot)com/a/qo9pH

English AMD fanboy summary of Canard PC Article
reddit: r/AMD_Stock/comments/5k31sr/i_bought_canard_pc_there_you_go/

(2) Perhaps a lil technical for consumers but some interesting technical tidbits in a nice presentation on where next gen CPUs are heading: @ Hotchips 28 Presentation from Aug 23 2016:
  • Skylake (1/3)
  • Power9 (2/3)
  • AMD Zen (3/3: @ 01:01:40)

If (1) is true there might be some depressing times for Intel engineers with nasty black lumps of coal both this and the following Christmas.... I guess Core 2 *core* has been due for a fundamental ground up overhaul after a decade in service.

(edit) could not get links to work sorry

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
... I guess Core 2 *core* has been due for a fundamental ground up overhaul after a decade in service.

No doubt this is true. Why spend all the R&D money when you have the best chips in town? They felt they could get complacent, as AMD was miles behind. I truly hope Zen delivers so we can see some real innovation again.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
No doubt this is true. Why spend all the R&D money when you have the best chips in town? They felt they could get complacent, as AMD was miles behind. I truly hope Zen delivers so we can see some real innovation again.
Yep. Probably wrong, but what was it, that at some point in the last few years, the best AMD chip could barely even hang on with an i3 Intel chip? Let alone an i5 or i7? I'm sure the gap got bigger and smaller over the years, but I feel like I heard that at some point.

Malkav

French Madman
I'll wait before saying anything about Zen.

AMD has a mile long track record of over hyping their new shit with shit in-house benchmarks and splendidly failing to deliver.

And all I've seen about Zen right now is that they are catching up to Skylake/Kaby-Lake performances. and with how in the red AMD is, they can't really afford to seriously undercut Intel.

So no, I don't think Intel is in the shit because of lack of R&D. Will they be cranking something out quickly to stomp AMD back though? Probably.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I'll wait before saying anything about Zen.

AMD has a mile long track record of over hyping their new shit with shit in-house benchmarks and splendidly failing to deliver.

And all I've seen about Zen right now is that they are catching up to Skylake/Kaby-Lake performances. and with how in the red AMD is, they can't really afford to seriously undercut Intel.

So no, I don't think Intel is in the shit because of lack of R&D. Will they be cranking something out quickly to stomp AMD back though? Probably.
I tend to agree, considering all the resources Intel has and the fact that their R&D budget is an order of magnitude greater than AMDs I can't imagine Zen being anything more than a temporary nuisance for the Intel juggernaut.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Remember bulldozer?or all the other shit amd and the fanboy hyped? I imagine zen being exactly the same.

jeydax

Death and Taxes

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You really only need to hit about 90 fps, anything after that is just gravy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Was reading that FreeSync 2 is supposed to handle HDR better than Windows with lots of caveats and marketing speak. I really want a new monitor, my Yamakasi is getting a little old and starting to bug out every once in a while. Hopefully the QC on this is better than the stuff going around about the last gen of G Sync they released.