Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Not seeing much reason to upgrade from my 4770K. There's M.2 NVMe drives and... uh, yeah that's about it.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Based on latest Zen rumors/leaks: it appears AMD may have been underhyping Zen quite a bit, as they appear to have a really hot competitor in their hands, not just something to narrow the gap. Tis difficult not to be dubious though, performance parity near across the board in different workloads seems too good to be true. However the leaks keep getting more interesting and lean more towards better than worse:
  • IPC close to Broadwell
  • every SKU at least 3.4 Ghz AND unlocked for overclocking
  • unlimited Auto turbo is one interesting new feature: it apparently overclocks as high as it can as long as temps are ok.
  • Engineering Sample clocks are apparently hitting 3.6 base and 4 ghz turbo, might potentially be higher at release (@ more than 95w though)
Two big question marks I have not read anything about:
  • how gimped new Arch will be on Windows 7/8. supposedly only Win 10 will have official support
  • how Linux support is coming along for the advanced features
Tic Toc ,Tic Toc, toc toc toc ..... Intel fluffing rumors about next hybrid Arm/x86 architecture :)
Maybe Intel will have to respond by uncrippling their silicon (ie hyperthreading on i5s, auto thread pinning to core etc) a lil and eliminate some of their artificial market segregation :)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
IPC close to Broadwell? A chipset released like 3 years ago?

Im a pretty big fanboy especially since I wrote bios for their processors, so I'm a bit biased here. But I don't see the hype..

Last edited:

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Im a pretty big fanboy especially since I wrote bios for their processors, so I'm a bit biased here. But I don't see the hype..
But Kaby Lake is only a 5-10% ipc improvement over broadwell.

I doubt AMD would pull more shenanigans like with piledriver/bulldozer. Zen being a flop would mean bankruptcy.

Last edited:

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm still rocking an overclocked i5-2500k and Ryzen, even on the low end of hype, is the first glimmer I've seen in years that maybe I'll upgrade my CPU. First custom built computer used a K6 processor, so it feels good to go back to the roots!

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
As much as I would love for AMD to truly be competitive again, I'm going to wait for independent benchmarks before I even consider buying a CPU from them again. It will probably be another year or so before I decide to replace my 2500K anyway.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee

Because the IPC gains since ivybridge haven't really been that big for intel. So being at broadwell IPC or further basically puts them right near skylake and kabylake since they only made less than 5% gains going from broadwell to skylake.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
But Kaby Lake is only a 5-10% ipc improvement over broadwell.

I doubt AMD would pull more shenanigans like with piledriver/bulldozer. Zen being a flop would mean bankruptcy.
For a rough *idea* only, the overall baseline IPC from Anandtech: The Intel 6th Gen Skylake Review: Core i7-6700K and i5-6600K Tested

Sandybridge is baseline IPC, (*) is gain over previous generation
  1. [2011 tock] Ivy : medium....... 5%+ (*)
  2. [2013 tock ] Haswell : big....... 10%+ (*)
  3. [tick] Broadwell : small......3%+ (*)
  4. [2015 tock] Skylake : tiny........ 2%+ (*)
  5. [process tweaks] Kabylake : ZERO.......0%+ (*)
  6. [2017/18 ..... tweaks? tinity %s ?
  7. [2019? .....new uArch ] ???? will PROBABLY be big.... if it is an overhaul of Core uarch like Zen was for AMD.

So the BIG jump is Ivy to Haswell ~ 15%
Haswell to Kaby is ~5%
Tweaks between now and 2019 not likely to bring much to table IPC wise

AMD has an easy target to satisfy in general....anywhere Haswell + IPC is IMHO a *safe* win relatively speaking, provided:
  • clocks are similar (seem to be decent)
  • power efficiency is close-ish

In overall Power per Watt I doubt they will pass Intell, or even catch up, but both off shelf and OC perf overall (IPC+clock) on desktop will be decent since nobody really cares too much about power, especially in winter :)

Edit (some Motherboard makers piling on.... hope Zen works for their sake, 20 seems like too many models)
MSI to manufacture 20 different model RYZEN motherboards

Last edited:

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>

Very cool! There is not much real hype yet since no really representative benches, just a lot of hints and signs that things are going *well* for AMD, and it is in their interest to underplay stuff as much as possible after Dozer.

By the way....
  • How early did you guys get access to engineering samples of new cpus for AMD/Intel releases?
  • What sort of testing did you do?
  • Maybe if you were at old job you could have juicy leaks for us? Any leaky connections left there still? :)

Or did they draw and quarter leakers from the firmware team? =)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Very cool! There is not much real hype yet since no really representative benches, just a lot of hints and signs that things are going *well* for AMD, and it is in their interest to underplay stuff as much as possible after Dozer.

By the way....
  • How early did you guys get access to engineering samples of new cpus for AMD/Intel releases?
  • What sort of testing did you do?
  • Maybe if you were at old job you could have juicy leaks for us? Any leaky connections left there still? :)

Or did they draw and quarter leakers from the firmware team? =)
We worked with Intel to ensure we got engineering samples. Simply put they wanted us to buy their new products but to put the chips in our servers they needed to be fully up and running before t he actual chips came out. Typically wed have like 20 to 40 engineering samples and write firmware for them before anyone in the public even knew about them.

We tested everything but we'd regression test first off. Then we'd scope what was new that we needed. If someone requested one of the new features we'd turn it on. Lots of hidden registers and shit that they don't want non engineers to know about. Typically it was 'can we put this out and have it look like performance went up with no negatives'

Strict ndas with Intel unfortunately. Also only a few top guys know the very very juicy details. I'm talking like 1 single dude at Emc knew what was coming down the pipeline and he was a top engineering fellow in the company. He probably had to beg them for that access too

Leaking was real serious. Likely jail time

I still know a few things that I can't talk about. I probably knew Kaby lake details like 3 or 4 years ago as long as some stuff still coming. No need to risk.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
As much as I would love for AMD to truly be competitive again, I'm going to wait for independent benchmarks before I even consider buying a CPU from them again. It will probably be another year or so before I decide to replace my 2500K anyway.

Yeah I got one PC still rocking with a 2500K, Im about to give it to my 15 yr old with and updated video card, maybe a RX480 I can get for $190-$200. Should last him a few years playing his steam games, at 1080p lol.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I got one PC still rocking with a 2500K, Im about to give it to my 15 yr old with and updated video card, maybe a RX480 I can get for $190-$200. Should last him a few years playing his steam games, at 1080p lol.
Your a bad dad :(