Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Why are we even talking about 6000 series processors now? If you're buying new, 7th gen stuff literally costs 5-10 dollars more.

If you're interested in a new, mainstream gaming desktop, it's a 7600k or a 7700k and nothing better is coming out for 18 months on the mainstream side.

If you want an HEDT setup, it's wait for the LGA 2066 stuff to come out later this year, or Ryzen.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
People cling to their 2500k but games are utilizing cpus much more now. A 6xxxk is going to blow the pants off a 2500k
Yeah for sure but where to spend the cash for an upgrade? Im willing to bet that a 1070 will be way better upgrade to his gaming than a proc. Unless you want to go hog wild and drop $800-$1k for the whole thing.

I would wait for the next jump intel anyways. Supposedly from what i read the next iteration will see huge boost. 7th gen was a bust, only marginal gains in performance over 6th. I read like ~10%

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I picked up the i6600k and a Gigabyte G1 board for $300 as a bundle. You're not getting close to that with a 7000 series any time soon.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I picked up the i6600k and a Gigabyte G1 board for $300 as a bundle. You're not getting close to that with a 7000 series any time soon.

Sorry but you can get a 7600k and the same board for 329 at micro center. :)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
That combo is showing as $370 for me. Too big of a jump to be justifiable, IMO.

The Kaby Lakes seem to be virtually identical with the exception of easier and more stable overclocks above 4.5GHz or so. Diminishing returns really start kicking in at those speeds. For an extra $20 or so, sure, why not? Beyond that, nah.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah a jump from 2500k to 6600k should be noticeable, but not huge. I would still wait for next year and get the 10nm chip instead.
Your minimum frame time will be reduced fairly substantially with that jump. This can be shown in benchmarks that measure not just the average FPS but the minimum fps.

Malkav

French Madman
Hell, there is even more and more reasons to go i7 and not i5 for gaming lately. Games are finally starting to be threaded better. Just look at some Battlefield 1 benchmarks with an i7 and an i5.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah people are still stuck in the old way of thinking. I was too until I looked into it. That's why I got a 6700k over the i5

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
That combo is showing as $370 for me. Too big of a jump to be justifiable, IMO.

The Kaby Lakes seem to be virtually identical with the exception of easier and more stable overclocks above 4.5GHz or so. Diminishing returns really start kicking in at those speeds. For an extra $20 or so, sure, why not? Beyond that, nah.

Well, either way, I have an ASrock board that has been tearing it up and doing extremely well. $312.91 after a 15 dollar rebate for an i5 7600k with ASRock Z170-Pro4 LGA 1151 ATX Intel Motherboard

Either way, when I upgrade next I'll grab an i7 over an i5.

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with going for an i7 these days. The list of games that will take advantage of HT is currently pretty small, but I expect that will change.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with going for an i7 these days. The list of games that will take advantage of HT is currently pretty small, but I expect that will change.

Its about fucking time, it only took them a decade to finally utilize HT, lol

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
parents pc is crapping out so I gave them mine and bought the parts to upgrade my own, went from a 6-core xeon and 970 to a i7-6700k @ 4ghz and a 1080, around $1500 all told from Fry's and Best Buy. Its so nice how Windows 10 is good at migration, I logged in with my account and had all the same desktop, folder settings, etc and chrome imported all my addons, bookmarks, user logins, etc. Literally 1 hour from unboxing everything I was logged into everything and just about ready to go.

Its a bit disappointing how nothing really "feels" faster, and I can't play with my Rift right now because the 1080 only has 1 HDMI port and thats used by my 4k TV. Gonna have to dig around and find a HDMI to DP adapter, dunno why these 1080s come with 4 fucking DP ports but only 1 HDMI.

I'm sure once Titanfall, battlefield, etc download it'll be impressive at 1440p but yeah, feels like Moore's law hasn't been effective for a long time now.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
The exhaust fan in the back of my Corsair 760t is fucked up I think and makes an obnoxious amount of noise for a few minutes after I power on. Any suggestions for a replacement?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its a bit disappointing how nothing really "feels" faster, and I can't play with my Rift right now because the 1080 only has 1 HDMI port and thats used by my 4k TV. Gonna have to dig around and find a HDMI to DP adapter, dunno why these 1080s come with 4 fucking DP ports but only 1 HDMI.

Because DP is the future. HDMI is inferior. (It's like whining about having 3 DVI outputs and "only 1 VGA" for older gen cards)

In a nutshell, far higher bandwidth (refresh rates at higher resolutions) with DP vs HDMI.

DisplayPort vs HDMI vs DVI vs VGA - AVADirect

spronk

FPS noob
oculus rift then is gay as fuck for having CV1 output in HDMI instead of DP. I really, really regret buying a Rift instead of a Vive, the latter uses DP I think even and only needs 1 or 2 USB ports whereas this fucking rift needs 3 USB3 ports