Desktop Computers

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Kids do what they do these days. My parents didnt force me to do shit, why should I? Anyways, he still does all that but its hard to do when its like 11F outside.

Next year hes gonna be driving so im sure well see much less of him anyway.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They're probably mad you gave him an Intel cpu and not some absolute piece of shit amd

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I recently put together a new system after 5 years with an i2500k.

I didn't realize just how long in the tooth Sandybridge had become until playing around with the i6600k. I've got it OC'd to a cool and stable 4.5GHz and it absolutely shreds through everything. GPU-wise I had an 870 in the old system and put a 1070 in the new system, so I'm not exactly boasting a huge leap in video power (I was basically 60fps with everything maxed before), but it's impressive just how much smoother overall performance is with the new CPU.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I need more information and leaks to come out. Want to finally do something with my 2500k this year as well. But infoz are light!

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Wait until March for Bulldozer 2.0 to disappoint and pick up a new Intel. There's not much to see.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I need more information and leaks to come out. Want to finally do something with my 2500k this year as well. But infoz are light!

The 2500k is just fine for gaming. There is no difference when playing games. OC that to 4.5. The previous posters HUGE jump was due to the 1070 gtx card. Only get a new CPU if you are doing a lot of video editing. Or encoding or what not. My 2500k with a 1070gtx is killing all my games at max settings at over 100 fps. Shit even wittcher 3 is hitting a consistent 90 in ultra.

I am also guessing 870 meant 970. And the jump from 970 to a 1070 is enormous in of itself.

• 1Solidarity

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Whoops, yeah..typo. That should be 970, which was OC'd to well beyond stock 980 speeds. I'm still only on a 60Hz monitor, so the 970 to 1070 jump wasn't going to do a whole lot for me as I was maxing at 60fps before in pretty much everything. I found the 1070 for $330 during a Black Friday sale, so it seemed a no-brainer to pick up for the new system.

And yes, the CPU absolutely makes a difference. Sure, the i2500k was "just fine", but many things are just smoother in a way that goes beyond the FPS counter. Even games like Skyrim and Fallout 4 just glide along in a way that they didn't before, with less "hitching" and other subtle annoyances, and the 970 laughed at both of them. Games that are more CPU-bound like Star Craft 2 and Rome: TW 2 benefit even more. Just navigating around the OS, loading and switching between applications, etc, is noticeably zippier. (I'm using exactly the same SSD drive in both, so it's not that). I never said that it's a HUGE difference, but it's very welcome and more than I was expecting. I'd love to grab a G-Sync 1440p monitor and really take advantage of the horsepower, but they're all fucking matte and I hate matte with a fiery passion.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Whoops, yeah..typo. That should be 970, which was OC'd to well beyond stock 980 speeds. I'm still only on a 60Hz monitor, so the 970 to 1070 jump wasn't going to do a whole lot for me as I was maxing at 60fps before in pretty much everything. I found the 1070 for $330 during a Black Friday sale, so it seemed a no-brainer to pick up for the new system.

And yes, the CPU absolutely makes a difference. Sure, the i2500k was "just fine", but many things are just smoother in a way that goes beyond the FPS counter. Even games like Skyrim and Fallout 4 just glide along in a way that they didn't before, with less "hitching" and other subtle annoyances, and the 970 laughed at both of them. Games that are more CPU-bound like Star Craft 2 and Rome: TW 2 benefit even more. Just navigating around the OS, loading and switching between applications, etc, is noticeably zippier. (I'm using exactly the same SSD drive in both, so it's not that). I never said that it's a HUGE difference, but it's very welcome and more than I was expecting. I'd love to grab a G-Sync 1440p monitor and really take advantage of the horsepower, but they're all fucking matte and I hate matte with a fiery passion.

Are you sure most of any hitching wasn't resolved with more (Faster) Ram and say an SSD upgrade? I just don't see a 2500k > 6600k along with a chipset upgrade helping with any of that as it stands today. I obviously could be completely wrong. Paging @jooka

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Are you sure most of any hitching wasn't resolved with more (Faster) Ram and say an SSD upgrade? I just don't see a 2500k > 6600k along with a chipset upgrade helping with any of that as it stands today. I obviously could be completely wrong. Paging @jooka
placebo effect

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I recently went from a MSI GD65/2500k/32g ram/ssd/1070 setup to a new mb/ram/6700k and there was noticeable improvement across the board with only the mb/ram/cpu changing. My experience is similar to what zignor saw, just a smoother overall gaming experience with less micro-stutters/hitching etc..

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
People cling to their 2500k but games are utilizing cpus much more now. A 6xxxk is going to blow the pants off a 2500k

• 1Solidarity

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
My interest lies somewhere between boredom / wanting to see improve my multi monitor experience. Games run fine on the 980Ti but in do a ton more playing, watching, browsing, streaming, work across three screens these days and I feel like the 2500k is getting worked. And I'm not replacing the RAM, SSDs, HD, 980Ti.

Really I just like new things and want an excuse to research and make spreadsheets. It is 70% of the fun. There's a non zero probability at the end I won't even buy anything.

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I'm not sure why it's hard for people to believe that a six year old processor is outgunned in games by the latest model. Clearly gotta be placebo effect!

Of course a hefty GPU upgrade is going to make for a much more significant difference, but this thing is absolutely faster and smoother. And that's okay. Your Sandybridge isn't going to spontaneously melt. I wouldn't have held on to mine for 5+ years if it wasn't a great chip.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Oh, don't get me wrong. I was just under the impression from a lot of folks that Intel hasn't made a lot of progress in releasing new CPU's year to year, and there was quite literally no need to upgrade at all right now if you have a 2500k OC'd to 4.5 Ghz and strictly use your computer for browsing and gaming - also that a 1070 won't be bottlenecked.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So whats the next Intel release scheduled, or have they kept it under wraps to see what kind of actual specs are coming from AMD? If we want to make 2017 the year of the 2500k upgrade, when do we do it?!

Apollo64

N00b
Yeah a jump from 2500k to 6600k should be noticeable, but not huge. I would still wait for next year and get the 10nm chip instead.