Desktop Computers

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
If anyone is due for a system upgrade this just gives some nicely flexible budget options compared to Intel.

Nothing to get excited about for anyone with recent gen Intels. Nothing new really other than AMD finally having its head out of its as* and getting *close* enough to be competative. Good for prices when *whatever* Lake comes out to replace Core uarch :) Until then the big win is a lot more flexibility with AM4 builds. Intel kinds shot itself in the foot there with its segmentation of cpus and platforms. Aahhh greed! The *bleed em cause we can and cause AMD is dead* attitude....

Intel still wins performance overall for that 10% of users with too much money for niche performance bracket scenarios. Zen Reviews next week will not change that. The other 90% of desktop users will just have more choice at lower prices :)

Finally some affordable flexibility!
With AM4 you can get a good bang for the buck in an 8c 16t HEDT or a lowish end budget 4C APU all on one affordable platform. Yay for geeks!

If the BIOS and OCing tools are good and let you gimp your 8 core to 4c and overclock THAT to 4.5 GHz.... whoa, that would be awesome. Intel might actually be a little more concerned then. Rather unlikely that is tho.

Servers on the other hand.... AMD stands to make a ton of money and get some real profits even just nipping a few % of the server market. Bodes well for funding more dies with Zen ++ upgrades in a year or two.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
please you know we all rebuild desktops because we're masochists anyways
I've gotten 4 years out of each of my last 3 base builds (CPU/motherboards/cases) not counting video card upgrades, SSDs, power supplies.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
If anyone is due for a system upgrade this just gives some nicely flexible budget options compared to Intel.

Nothing to get excited about for anyone with recent gen Intels. Nothing new really other than AMD finally having its head out of its as* and getting *close* enough to be competative. Good for prices when *whatever* Lake comes out to replace Core uarch :) Until then the big win is a lot more flexibility with AM4 builds. Intel kinds shot itself in the foot there with its segmentation of cpus and platforms. Aahhh greed! The *bleed em cause we can and cause AMD is dead* attitude....

Intel still wins performance overall for that 10% of users with too much money for niche performance bracket scenarios. Zen Reviews next week will not change that. The other 90% of desktop users will just have more choice at lower prices :)

Finally some affordable flexibility!
With AM4 you can get a good bang for the buck in an 8c 16t HEDT or a lowish end budget 4C APU all on one affordable platform. Yay for geeks!

If the BIOS and OCing tools are good and let you gimp your 8 core to 4c and overclock THAT to 4.5 GHz.... whoa, that would be awesome. Intel might actually be a little more concerned then. Rather unlikely that is tho.

Servers on the other hand.... AMD stands to make a ton of money and get some real profits even just nipping a few % of the server market. Bodes well for funding more dies with Zen ++ upgrades in a year or two.

Wtf? :)

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So let me get this straight. You'd buy AMD (even if it's worse) just because it isn't Intel

Will i? sure why not? Ive built nothing but intel for years, and so long as it out performs my 4790k then i have no qualms with purchasing AMD. Intels upgrades have been stagnant and i just really want to support AMD with their return to enthusiast grade cpus.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Lol, it is sad, but people get worked up and irrationally excited enough to buy when..... the stuff is *just* competative. No tinfoil needed, tis the new business norm :-( , just like in the crowdfunding of games: exploit peoples natural gullability to get them to pay without knowing what will actually be released.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I am still wanting to build a system to VM for the kid's systems instead of them having a full system in their room and really looking at Ryzen but not sure how AMD does with virtualization.

I am really just hoping for people selling off Intel systems for cheap on r/hardwareswap so I can build this up.
That place is crazy. So much stuff being sold. I bet I could have done really well there in buying a GTX 970 or otherwise. Hmm..

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I jsut could not give 2 shits anymore. I play so little games these days that its a non issue. I guess im not missing what I never had, lol.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I keep building and never using, Atleast my current excuse is to give my gf my older pc even with its dual 980ti's for her wow playing.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I keep building and never using, Atleast my current excuse is to give my gf my older pc even with its dual 980ti's for her wow playing.
You don't need two 980 tis to play WoW. You don't even need half of one.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, he should sell the other one and saw the other one in half so she doesn't use more than she needs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user