Desktop Computers

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
QNAP's are solid. Very diverse capabilities, and their web interface is butter smooth and fast. We switched to those for customers with Mac environments, because they can properly handle multiple Time Machine Sparse Bundles in one location. It also has the ability to do iSCSI for backups which is far preferable to a network share folder.

We are in the process of looking at Synology as well for some customers needing larger environments, not much direct experience with them yet, outside of one customer who purchased their own.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I loved my Synology. Only reason I sold it was because I bought a full fledged server. Really easy to use and the higher end models have full docker support with really easy to use GUI.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I have a qnap ts-451, would recommend a qnap. I did upgrade the ram from 2gb to 8 GB just because. I run a plex server and a MySQL server for Kodi centralization and silicondust beta DVR software on it with no issues.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I have a Qnap 251 and have been pretty happy with it. Upgraded the ram from 1 GB to 4GB. I've got my plex library on it but my desktop handles all the transcoding. Have yet to set up anything else on it as I've only had it up and running for a few weeks.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have used Synology for ~8 years now. They are pricey, but they offer a hell of a lot. They are the higher-end of NAS builds. Qnap is perfectly reasonable.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Any of you Enthusiasts that do soldering work, have a recommendation on a decent soldering kit / multi meter to buy?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Either a Weller or a hakko fx888d

The hakko is purple but it's one of the best you can buy. I use the hakko myself but my father has a Weller and swears by it.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Any of you Enthusiasts that do soldering work, have a recommendation on a decent soldering kit / multi meter to buy?

Agree with Noodle, just make sure you get a variable temp iron. I have a Weller one that works great.

As far as multimeter, I would recommend this one: Amazon.com: Etekcity MSR-U1000 Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter, Volt Amp Ohm Capacitance Meter, Red: Automotive

Does everything I need it to, extremely accurate, well built and easy to use. Also 600V cat IV so basically there's nothing you would use it for in your house that i won't work for.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So basically they're saying "not our problem"

Ouch, if there's one area not to bump a bunch of reviews about "value" it's gamers.

No one gives a fuck about someone telling them how much value something has, they want emotional satisfaction for buying something they are told is badass (at something, hopefully anything). The whole "not as bad at gaming as it could be" is not very good marketing for that segment.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So this past weekend I went to Micro Center to pick up the Mo-bo and proc for my kids system. And man, it was crazy as fuck there. In fact every time I got there its crazy as fuck. So anyway, most nerds there were all there to buy intel, I only saw one dude picking up a ryzen, and it wasnt for gaming. And it was a literal 10 man line at the proc counter at the time I was there.

Honestly if they cannot capture the gaming audience, they are dead in the water. Especially with the 7, which prices itself even or more than the current mainstream i7.

Oh, and kids system went smoothly. It was nice to see him excited about it and help with his first build.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So this past weekend I went to Micro Center to pick up the Mo-bo and proc for my kids system. And man, it was crazy as fuck there. In fact every time I got there its crazy as fuck. So anyway, most nerds there were all there to buy intel, I only saw one dude picking up a ryzen, and it wasnt for gaming. And it was a literal 10 man line at the proc counter at the time I was there.

Honestly if they cannot capture the gaming audience, they are dead in the water. Especially with the 7, which prices itself even or more than the current mainstream i7.

Oh, and kids system went smoothly. It was nice to see him excited about it and help with his first build.
You mean you haven't had them help with a build prior to this? My 3 year old gets to use the canned air every time daddy gets into his computer and for new builds, but the time I make one, he'll be old enough I'm sure to screw some stuff in.

Gotta teach em young!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ive built systems before but they had no interest. When they get to be about 10+ or so they kind of dont hang with you like they did when 3-5, even more so when they are 13+.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ive built systems before but they had no interest. When they get to be about 10+ or so they kind of dont hang with you like they did when 3-5, even more so when they are 13+.
Oh, that's true. They love yea when you spend thousands on them though! lol.. damn kids.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So the build was:

i5 7600K @4.5
MSI Z270 M3 Gaming
CM 212 EVO
8gb ram {Corsair Vengence?}
600W corsair PS
250gb SSD Samsung
2tb Toshiba platter
MSI RX480
Corsair Spec 03 Case

Last edited:

Mire

Trakanon Raider
You know a 1080 for viewing 4k TV is massive overkill, right? There are Intel NUC solutions for 4k these days.

My second PC is a fully fledged machine. 6700k and 16GB. A single 1080 won't max everything out at 4k. I'm fine with turning down shadows. =)