Desktop Computers

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It shouldn't be that slow.

I made a bootable thumb drive from the tool just the other day, on my extremely underpowered work-issued laptop, and it took very little time.

Not sure what was up with it. Took about 12 minutes to d/l an ISO from IP Torrents and make the thumb drive, meanwhile the windows tool was at like 13%.

Need to do a few clean up things and want to run a few tests but everything seems stable. Sitting at 26C idle but haven't tested any load or any OC. Unfortunately my room isn't much lower than that so I wasn't expecting to be at 23C or anything.

Monitor isn't coming until tomorrow. Boo hoo.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Need ~90 fps on 4k before I'd give up 120 fps at 1440p.

So, about 15 months from now at Nvidia's current pace.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Need ~90 fps on 4k before I'd give up 120 fps at 1440p.

So, about 15 months from now at Nvidia's current pace.
that's a reference card on a CPU that isn't the best for gaming. an overclocked 7700k with a 1080ti classified would probably come close.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Do you want fancy LEDs and built in water cooling, pump headers, and need super crazy OC potential? Probably not. My ASUS Prime Z270 will be here tomorrow. It mostly came down to not needing a ton of built in ports, wifi, LED controllers, etc... Just something to plug my cards in to and go. It was only like $140? I thing. But I'm an Asus fan boy for the most part.

Thanks, I also decided to spend a little bit more and go with the Prime Z270-A. Build came in a touch over $1000, I'm pretty satisfied.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Thanks, I also decided to spend a little bit more and go with the Prime Z270-A. Build came in a touch over $1000, I'm pretty satisfied.

Yeah if you run in to anything let me know. My install last night went smooth. I didn't have a CD drive but Windows detected everything fine and I grabbed the Asus EZ update utility which grabbed the most current board BIOS and drivers automatically. Will spend tonight and tomorrow putting everything back together and seeing what kind of OC it'll do. Won't be pushing anything crazy with the Noctua.

Even if the non-OC'd processor is being claimed to beat a 7700k or whatever I'm not trusting this site. That's just dumbass fucking shit.

The guy also said 20 FPS was perfectly smooth. The whole review reads strange.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Even if these check out, the extra cores save em only vs Intel 4 Cores, but only for a few months until Intel unleashes cheaper 6 cores.

While Zens are competative, these results are damning confirmation of some probable L3 cache design issues for Zen.
The better L3 design on Intel 8 cores already kicks Zen butt. Lack of optimizations from Microsoft and game developers is partially responsable. L3 cache for Zen is split in half, essentially into two groups accesible by 4Cores (a compute complex). Thread optimizations need to be made in both applications and the OS.

But Intel still wins by a LOT still in *most* gaming that depends on extremely unpredictable workloads with random memory access patterns. The *only* lone win by Zen is due to its better linear workload prediction (their Sense MI stuff) with the Dirt game. While thread and CCX optimizations will help, they need to fix deeper L3 cache problems with Ryzen when it accesses L3 above acertain threshold (6MB atm). It is looking like some of the L3 cache issues will might not be adressed until Zen+.

Zen is still a decent investment deal to consider for the average gamers upgrading for newer better threaded games, or affordable HEDT workstations.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah if you run in to anything let me know. My install last night went smooth. I didn't have a CD drive but Windows detected everything fine and I grabbed the Asus EZ update utility which grabbed the most current board BIOS and drivers automatically. Will spend tonight and tomorrow putting everything back together and seeing what kind of OC it'll do. Won't be pushing anything crazy with the Noctua.

The guy also said 20 FPS was perfectly smooth. The whole review reads strange.
Yeah his argument is because it was consistently a 20 FPS game that it played smooth. Uh no?

I played OOT the other day and it runs like shit lol

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I watched another review the first day that mentioned with Ryzen while FPS might be lower, it essentially does away with the micro stutters and other stutters that normally plague some games with even best video cards. I think that what was meant by "smooth but 20fps".

You know those times when youre playing a game, shits running good and you get that micro stutter thing that essentially pauses everything for a few milliseconds. Definitely noticeable and annoying.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The only problem with the 20fps argument is both OOT and Goldeneye suffer excessively of dropped frame syndrome

It's like he pulled it out of thin air to make a point but it doesn't hold any water.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So anyway, I got the rx480 for my sons comp but it didnt work. So thinking it was bad i sent it back, got a new one today. Still didnt work. So after some investigation online i found out that some old mobos, especially from the sandy bridge era, are just not compatible. Poor kid, he was all hyped for the last week thinking hes gonna be all badass pwning noobs and shit.

So off to microcenter i go this weekend to get new mobo and proc from this decade. Alredy bought him new ps, new ssd, new ddr4 ram and new case from amazon, should be here sat.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users