Desktop Computers

Fulorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
Sound like you work for amd. To be fair I sound like I work for Intel

Having an opinion makes you a fanboy in this world today, evidently.

AMD can't make a video card worth a damn, I seriously doubt Vega is going to change that, and they haven't made a CPU worth shit in ten years. This one is actually good, in terms of the hardware, but it still has a long way to go on the software side. The main reason that we're having this conversation is because Intel has stagnated for 5 years, while nVidia has actually bothered to provide timely performance upgrades on a regular cycle. So pulling alongside Intel is a much lower bar to meet than pulling alongside nVidia.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>

AMD can't make a video card worth a damn, I seriously doubt Vega is going to change that, and they haven't made a CPU worth shit in ten years. This one is actually good, in terms of the hardware, but it still has a long way to go on the software side. The main reason that we're having this conversation is because Intel has stagnated for 5 years, while nVidia has actually bothered to provide timely performance upgrades on a regular cycle. So pulling alongside Intel is a much lower bar to meet than pulling alongside nVidia.
Intel's R&D budget is 10x what nVidia's is.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Got my 6700k at 4.5GHz stable with a max around 81C after stress testing. This is on a hyper Evo 212 so that's about as far as I'll push it. Maybe later in the year I'll look into one of those aio coolers.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Okay guys, here is my deal.

I'm going to have about $700 to work with for my next machine upgrade. I don't need a case, power supply, ssds, or hdds. I also have a R9 380 2GB card that is about a year and a half old.

That in mind, what is my best upgrade path? Should I go for the 7700k, mobo, DDR4 RAM, and a 480 rx? Or do I go for the 7600k and spend the extra on a 1070 GTX? Is there any reason at all to look at the Ryzen 7 or 5 when the vast majority of my computer use is 1920x1080 gaming, web surfing (lots of tabs open at once), occasional Handbrake or Audacity encoding, minor picture editing, and word processing?

Lend me your expert advice.

Fulorian

Okay guys, here is my deal.

I'm going to have about $700 to work with for my next machine upgrade. I don't need a case, power supply, ssds, or hdds. I also have a R9 380 2GB card that is about a year and a half old.

That in mind, what is my best upgrade path? Should I go for the 7700k, mobo, DDR4 RAM, and a 480 rx? Or do I go for the 7600k and spend the extra on a 1070 GTX? Is there any reason at all to look at the Ryzen 7 or 5 when the vast majority of my computer use is 1920x1080 gaming, web surfing (lots of tabs open at once), occasional Handbrake or Audacity encoding, minor picture editing, and word processing?

Lend me your expert advice.

An RX 480 and 7700k are badly mismatched, the GPU is going to bottleneck the everliving shit out of that CPU. 7600k and 1070 are better matched in general.

Based on the above, you're almost certainly talking 1080p/60hz gaming, and if you're planning some non-gaming use cases (simultaneously) then it sounds like a Ryzen 1500/1600X might be more up your alley (although it isn't out yet and we don't know how for sure how it will perform). But if going over 60 fps is a non-issue then the 6/12 threads would probably provide more utility for your encoding/editing/background applications.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You dont match cards for processors, you match cards for the display youre running. You go ask a dude on any web site or even in microcenter which card to get, first question will be "What monitor are you running?" Not what processor you have.

Even if you got a 1080ti, im betting you would still not be bottle necking the CPU. Of course given a choice and extra cash I would opt for a 1070 or 1080 every time, but sadly I do not and the RX480 is a no brainer choice price vs performance for 1080p. Youre comparing a $190 card vs a $350 card, lol. Kid runs his Rainbow six siege full max(maybe shadows med) and hes getting like 70fps min 80fps max 1080p.( RX480 and i5 7600k @4.5). There is a reason that the RX480 is like the most purchased car this gen. Now if you were going 1440p and 144hz, then yeah, go for the 1070 or 1080. but for 1080p its a waste of cash. again, match card with display, not processor, lol.

I always recommend building the core of the system out first, which is good mo-bo, good ram, good PS, and best proc you can afford. You can always upgrade/swap out video cards later when you run into some extra cash. Video cards come and go, but the core stays the same for years, like 8 yrs for my i5 2500k.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I did end up crashing at 4.6GHz last night after about 12 hours of stressing then gaming. Temps weren't high so might've needed a bit more voltage. I feel that's the cap for a hyper 212 Evo cooler with 4 case fans.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Used to work on a 8K cad system back in the day, the fucker was like $30Gs or some shit. We had one in the office as a demo from IBM, and since im always the office CAD god, they gave it to me to test. Anyway, the lines looked like true lines on my screen for the first time ever, not jagged pieces of shit.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So far I've been stable but occasionally wow has been hard crashing (report this error, etc) and it's definitely from the OC. Just don't know why... Performance is up a bit in that game.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
So finally snagged a 1080 Ti using that nowinstock website, MSI FE version from Newegg. Should be here Wednesday. Pretty excited with the gains I should see @ 4k since that's what I game at, particularly in The Division.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile

It's not that having an opinion makes you a fanboy, it's that you posted yourself you had a Bulldozer and it sucked and you knew it sucked and you had it anyway lol. That is fanboy shit right there.

Fulorian

It's not that having an opinion makes you a fanboy, it's that you posted yourself you had a Bulldozer and it sucked and you knew it sucked and you had it anyway lol. That is fanboy shit right there.

No, I didn't know it sucked when I bought it. Please tell me where I said that. My level of sophistication at the time was something along the lines of 'Ooh, 8 cores and only $150! Yes please.'

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just realized that while in Cleveland for 2 weeks I'm near a Micro center! Ffffuuu!

What deals they have running?! I'm gonna go and pray I don't just build a whole new rig on the spot.