Desktop Computers

jeydax

Death and Taxes
7700k running at absurdly high temperatures at any overclock is par for the course without delidding. This has been reported for a while now that they're abysmal in that regard - the entire delidding 'industry' popped up out of nowhere primarily because of Kaby Lake's horrible internal heat spreader situation. It's common knowledge at this point that delidding a 7700k will drop temps by about 20C.

Yeah I've decided to stop blaming the Kraken. Idle temps are totally fine at 26-31 C depending on the ambient temp in my office. I ordered this thing last night and will be delidding tomorrow.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Need a bit of help with upgrading a computer for a lady I know who is in her 70s. She only ever uses two programs: Outlook Express 2012 for e-mail, and Chrome for FB, YouTube, news sites and occasional online banking. The problems are that her system is really slowing down, and Outlook Express keeps shitting itself.

Her current system is an AMD A4-4000 APU CPU, 3.00GHz, with 4GB ram and Win 7.

I've been contemplating getting her a box upgrade that has an AMD A4-6300 dual core 4.0GHz, 4gb DDR3 RAM, and a 128GB SSD HD. This should make her system a bit more responsive, am I right?

But then there is the question of OS. I could fork over more dosh for Win10, but I've been thinking about seeing if she can learn Ubuntu (or is there an even more user friendly Linux distro)?

The key is for it to be both easy to use, and easy to learn the switch-over from Win7 Outlook Express.

Note: if there is no noticeable speed increase between the hardware she has and what is posted I could fork over a bit more, but what would be best to upgrade then?

Thanks in advance!

P.S., I've spent countless hours trying to fix her old machine, debug fucking Outlook, and stuff, and I think there is little to be done. It's a shitty system that runs so poorly that even old ladies get pissed off, but if someone says I should perhaps try something first, then feel free to advise.

As others have said, putting Linux as the OS for an old woman is just dumb.

You can get by with a simple Intel NUC. You don't even need a new Gen7 one, you could buy an older one and it will work just fine.

Intel® NUC

Just buy the combo kit and it's $450 all-in and should last until she croaks.

Amazon.com: Intel NUC Kit NUC6i3SYK BOXNUC6I3SYK Silver/Black: Computers & Accessories

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I've decided to stop blaming the Kraken. Idle temps are totally fine at 26-31 C depending on the ambient temp in my office. I ordered this thing last night and will be delidding tomorrow.

I was gonna say that I'll check my 7700k tonight on the Noctua, but your idle temps seem the same as mine. Don't remember my load testing OC temps though.

I was going to delid when I bought it but both of the 'good' tools were out at the time. Might revisit that.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Well I'll let you know how my experience goes tomorrow. I grabbed some new thermal paste as well because the ArcticSilver5 or whatever it is that I had was old as hell and I guess Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is the latest and greatest stuff out there.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Question for people who've delidded in the past (I've not done it yet, been pretty lucky with my chips): Can I use the Grizzly for between the chip and IHS or do I HAVE to get a liquid metal type TIM for the delid and then use the Grizzly between the IHS and Kraken?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Question for people who've delidded in the past (I've not done it yet, been pretty lucky with my chips): Can I use the Grizzly for between the chip and IHS or do I HAVE to get a liquid metal type TIM for the delid and then use the Grizzly between the IHS and Kraken?

I think arctic had a whole kit with surface cleaner, prep, and TIM for like $15? It wasn't liquid metal. I'll have to look this morning while I'm pretending to work and order some stuff.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Eh I just ordered some of that Grizzly stuff. Seems like there's no issue running it between the die to IHS and IHS to HS. What's the worst that could happen!

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Yeah I confirmed it elsewhere as well that using it as I want to would be fine. Liquid metal seems to be the better solution, though.

I won't get to delid until Friday now, shipping got delayed. :mad: So I think I'll just get some liquid metal shit for the die/IHS TIM and go that route. Damnit I really wanted to delid today too.

Last edited:

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Another question for peeps: After I get my OC all dialed in I'm going to be setting up a fresh format of my computer. Is there a program that can effectively make an exact clone of my entire setup so that if I want to format I can just load up the file and be on my way? Would save a shit load of headache of doing a full-on fresh install.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
There's a ton of different Ghost / Clone programs out there. I'd just say take your pick unless someone just can't live without a particular one. These days with it taking like 5 minutes to install Windows on a new build + Ninite for the necessities I usually don't even bother.

My delid shit is supposed to be here Friday too. Now if I can just stay sober long enough with the wife out of town to do something productive...

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Holy shit! Talk about coincidence. My wife is out of town too. And my delid shit will be here Friday. Drunken delid partner night? (no homo)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jeydax

Death and Taxes
You get out of here with your "logic" and "smart-thinking". What could POSSIBLY go wrong?!

Edit: I'm going to start out by using the Grizzly Kryonaut for both die/IHS and IHS/heatsink connections since I won't have anything else. I ordered some Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra and Grizzly Conductonaut if I'm not completely happy with the results. Couldn't get those shipped in time to arrive by tomorrow. :( And all the stuff Microcenter has is complete shit.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
I've done it on a few processors before. What sucks is putting the cooler back on the bare die, unless you don't have to do that with the new chips anymore. Always sketched me out, not like the Athlon days when coolers were tiny and lightweight. Easy to crack cores now if you fuck around sigh.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Ryzen 1600, gtx 1070, mobo, and ram arrived yesterday. 3 mon old daughter willing, I'll get up and running tonight. The jump from an i5 760 and gtx460(768mb) should be pretty awesome.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Ryzen 1600, gtx 1070, mobo, and ram arrived yesterday. 3 mon old daughter willing, I'll get up and running tonight. The jump from an i5 760 and gtx460(768mb) should be pretty awesome.

I'm interested in the reviews of the R5 1600 from people on this board. I'm looking to upgrade later this year and that chip seems to be the sweet spot, especially paired with a GTX 1060 for 1080p gaming and general productivity.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So far so good here. I haven't OC'd mine yet though.

Not sure how to "review" a CPU though. It works and doesn't bottleneck.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Nice upgrade gap. Now to get a game that wouldn't run on the old card to see how good games can really look.
This is a huge point that most forget. I know I can easily get into the whole upgrade craze, but then I think about the games that I'm playing and I'm like why? My last upgrade happened last year, when I bumped from a 5 year old Radeon card to a 970, because The Division wasn't running all that well on it. What a huge difference that was, and the game looked amazing!

TL;DR don't upgrade just to upgrade, make sure you have something pretty to look at!