Desktop Computers

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Well, I'm kicking myself for getting another fucking piece of shit NZXT product. What a joke. Why oh why didn't I trust my gut to get a different cooler. God damnit.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
I've been using Corsair AIO since the H50. I've strayed once, and got the Glacer 240L from Cooler-Master which was basically a Swiftech X220 rebrand. I had issues with the pump from that start. I haven't strayed from Corsair again and I probably won't.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Need a bit of help with upgrading a computer for a lady I know who is in her 70s. She only ever uses two programs: Outlook Express 2012 for e-mail, and Chrome for FB, YouTube, news sites and occasional online banking. The problems are that her system is really slowing down, and Outlook Express keeps shitting itself.

Her current system is an AMD A4-4000 APU CPU, 3.00GHz, with 4GB ram and Win 7.

I've been contemplating getting her a box upgrade that has an AMD A4-6300 dual core 4.0GHz, 4gb DDR3 RAM, and a 128GB SSD HD. This should make her system a bit more responsive, am I right?

But then there is the question of OS. I could fork over more dosh for Win10, but I've been thinking about seeing if she can learn Ubuntu (or is there an even more user friendly Linux distro)?

The key is for it to be both easy to use, and easy to learn the switch-over from Win7 Outlook Express.

Note: if there is no noticeable speed increase between the hardware she has and what is posted I could fork over a bit more, but what would be best to upgrade then?

Thanks in advance!

P.S., I've spent countless hours trying to fix her old machine, debug fucking Outlook, and stuff, and I think there is little to be done. It's a shitty system that runs so poorly that even old ladies get pissed off, but if someone says I should perhaps try something first, then feel free to advise.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Have you considered reformatting her hard drive? I can't imagine the kind of bullshit that's on the hard drive of a 70 year old.

If that doesn't work, I'd think just getting an SSD would do it. She doesn't need processing power for what she's doing.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
What happened? Compatibility or?

No. It was very easy to install. And it is an extremely quiet unit, which is pretty nice. No ticking noises like I'd had on the X61. The issue is temps.

I've already redone my thermal paste twice (fwiw I've never had to redo thermal paste, maybe I've been extremely lucky when applying in the past) and my temps still seem extremely high. Right now I'm only running the system at 4.8 Ghz and the temps are outrageously high. Under load (IBT, or Prime95) I'm seeing temps of 92-94 C. I've OC'd a shitload of machines so it's not like I don't know what I'm doing. My voltages aren't set too high, and nothing is out of the "ordinary". When I got frustrated I ran ASUS's auto-OC program and it only put it up to 4.7 Ghz.

So there's a few options for what is going on:

1) I lost the CPU bin lottery (probably).
2) The Kraken X62 is shitty cooler. Although it seems to be operating normally per the CAM software (also a probably).
3) My thermal paste is fucked up (doesn't seem as likely, not my first rodeo, and I've redone it twice).
4) My OC is wrong (unlikely based on everything I've read).
5) I'm an idiot.

I'll be testing the build with a couple different coolers in the next couple days, we'll see how she goes.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
7700k. It is certainly probable but I am going to test the other coolers.

I might just delid the thing and be done with it.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I am going to build two computers around $500-$750 for my twins for their birthday in 30 days.

The boy will want to play Destiny 2 if possible, she wants Sims 4.

No peripherals necessary in the pricing, I have monitors, meeses, and keyboards.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I am going to build two computers around $500-$750 for my twins for their birthday in 30 days.

The boy will want to play Destiny 2 if possible, she wants Sims 4.

No peripherals necessary in the pricing, I have monitors, meeses, and keyboards.
C-64_2048x2048.jpg

I think I found what you're looking for, awesome system!

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Is there a site like pcpartpicker for water cooling parts, or atleast something better than FrozenCPU?

Having issues piecing things together with FrozenCPU's shitty layout.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Just got a couple of these for the house. I've been a fan of the ASUS ROG laptops for a while, decided to go desktop this time for a bigger 4K monitor and mechanical keyboard. We are very pleased. Gone are the days where I build my own. If you are looking for some descent power take a look.

I have not been gaming much recently, but I loaded up Witcher 3 and Doom with Ultra settings and peeed a little. Cannot wait for Quake Champions :)

ROG GR8 II | ROG - Republic Of Gamers | ASUS USA
ASUS GR8 II-T043Z
Ready Mini PC Gaming Desktop
With Intel Core i7-7700 (@3.60 GHz)
GeForce GTX 1060
512 GB SSD
1 TB HDD
16 GB DDR4 RAM

$1200.00 from Amazon

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Need a bit of help with upgrading a computer for a lady I know who is in her 70s. She only ever uses two programs: Outlook Express 2012 for e-mail, and Chrome for FB, YouTube, news sites and occasional online banking. The problems are that her system is really slowing down, and Outlook Express keeps shitting itself.

I've been contemplating getting her a box upgrade that has an AMD A4-6300 dual core 4.0GHz, 4gb DDR3 RAM, and a 128GB SSD HD. This should make her system a bit more responsive, am I right?

But then there is the question of OS. I could fork over more dosh for Win10, but I've been thinking about seeing if she can learn Ubuntu (or is there an even more user friendly Linux distro)?

The key is for it to be both easy to use, and easy to learn the switch-over from Win7 Outlook Express.

Note: if there is no noticeable speed increase between the hardware she has and what is posted I could fork over a bit more, but what would be best to upgrade then?

Thanks in advance!

P.S., I've spent countless hours trying to fix her old machine, debug fucking Outlook, and stuff, and I think there is little to be done. It's a shitty system that runs so poorly that even old ladies get pissed off, but if someone says I should perhaps try something first, then feel free to advise.

If you can get her away from using the desktop Outlook, a chromebook sounds like it would be perfect.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>

Thanks in advance!

Do not put a 70 yo woman on Ubuntu you sick fuck

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Fulorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
No. It was very easy to install. And it is an extremely quiet unit, which is pretty nice. No ticking noises like I'd had on the X61. The issue is temps.

I've already redone my thermal paste twice (fwiw I've never had to redo thermal paste, maybe I've been extremely lucky when applying in the past) and my temps still seem extremely high. Right now I'm only running the system at 4.8 Ghz and the temps are outrageously high. Under load (IBT, or Prime95) I'm seeing temps of 92-94 C. I've OC'd a shitload of machines so it's not like I don't know what I'm doing. My voltages aren't set too high, and nothing is out of the "ordinary". When I got frustrated I ran ASUS's auto-OC program and it only put it up to 4.7 Ghz.

So there's a few options for what is going on:

1) I lost the CPU bin lottery (probably).
2) The Kraken X62 is shitty cooler. Although it seems to be operating normally per the CAM software (also a probably).
3) My thermal paste is fucked up (doesn't seem as likely, not my first rodeo, and I've redone it twice).
4) My OC is wrong (unlikely based on everything I've read).
5) I'm an idiot.

I'll be testing the build with a couple different coolers in the next couple days, we'll see how she goes.

7700k running at absurdly high temperatures at any overclock is par for the course without delidding. This has been reported for a while now that they're abysmal in that regard - the entire delidding 'industry' popped up out of nowhere primarily because of Kaby Lake's horrible internal heat spreader situation. It's common knowledge at this point that delidding a 7700k will drop temps by about 20C.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>

Option 1: Ipad. Teach her to use an iPad for email/FB and browsing, easy skype/facetime with kids/grandkids etc. Get an adapter to display some stuff on a Monitor if she wants a desktop screen to see better for browsing. Optional Bluetooth keyboard, headphones.

Option 2: Keep current hardware and try simple clean Linux distro from USB stick. Test it out before installing anything. Upgrade to 4 cores if too slow for her liking. Otherwise suggest Ipad again as easier option.

Windows is a waste of time for most casual users these days.
Trying to help a 70 year old that does not know or care about computers is easier with Linux or iOS these days than with windows.

Last edited: