Desktop Computers

Fulorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm interested in the reviews of the R5 1600 from people on this board. I'm looking to upgrade later this year and that chip seems to be the sweet spot, especially paired with a GTX 1060 for 1080p gaming and general productivity.

I'm running a 1700X, which clock-for-clock, in virtually 100% of games, is functionally exactly the same as a 1600. There's just nothing out there that can remotely make use of threads 13 through 16 yet.

I run that with a 1080 Ti, playing games at 1440@144hz. I've never once run into a CPU 'wall' where the GPU isn't bottleneck. The only time that happens is if you're running a low-graphics e-sports game or playing 1080@144hz+. I'm pretty much always GPU bound at 100-120 FPS in anything I play, although there is often one thread at 95% or higher (but GPU is also running at 100% usage/frequency). CPU runs cold at about 50-55C at all times in normal gaming workloads, because my total utilization has never once gone over 60% (short of synthetics like Prime95, Cinebench, CPU-Z, etc).

With a GTX 1060 running 1080@60 (or even higher refresh, although that wouldn't make sense with that GPU) you'll never run into anything remotely resembling a CPU bottleneck, to the point I doubt you'd ever put any meaningful stress on that CPU with that GPU.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
As I've stated I love my 1600x. I've had no issues, but I game at 4k. So it's hard for me to comment on the 1080p "issues". My advice is just make sure you get ram on the QVL for the speed you want to run.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Man overwatch runs at like 110 to 120 for average now not 200 like before. Must've upgraded their graphics.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Another question for peeps: After I get my OC all dialed in I'm going to be setting up a fresh format of my computer. Is there a program that can effectively make an exact clone of my entire setup so that if I want to format I can just load up the file and be on my way? Would save a shit load of headache of doing a full-on fresh install.
modern computers with uefi, can boot usb3.

dump your boot disk onto a usb3 drive and your install takes 5mins.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
The actual install isn't the issue, I've reformatted about 1000 times and I've used a USB 3.0 drive since they were available for the installs.

What I want is an exact replica of my install - and not just for one drive. I want it for everything. Drivers, games, programs... everything. I just want to mirror how the computer is right now so I can just load this shit up and go. There's so many little settings that have to be tweaked. I use ntlite to customize my windows install as much as possible but even that isn't enough.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
The actual install isn't the issue, I've reformatted about 1000 times and I've used a USB 3.0 drive since they were available for the installs.

What I want is an exact replica of my install - and not just for one drive. I want it for everything. Drivers, games, programs... everything. I just want to mirror how the computer is right now so I can just load this shit up and go. There's so many little settings that have to be tweaked. I use ntlite to customize my windows install as much as possible but even that isn't enough.

Acronis will do that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I figured Acronis would be what I'd want. I'll take a look at that and GNOME Disks. Thanks guys.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Found this perusing Hardforum and it has really made me think twice about upgrading to a Ryzen 1700.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That guys voice is the worst

Like listening to a guy with marbles in his mouth moving his mouth at extreme movements

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Well. I'm drunk. Not tired. And I just noticed that my Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut showed up yesterday in the mail, normally the wife gets the mail.

Time to fuck this CPU's day up.

Edit:

So I gotta say, I'm very happy with the results and I can't recommend the delid tools from Rockit Cool enough. The actual delidding process is idiot proof with their products. I didn't use the relid tool and decided to go all Johnny Rambo and just had the CPU retention bracket hold it in place after I'd finished the delid/TIM application. Somehow I didn't fuck that up.

So I was getting up to 92c temps running RealBench on a 4.7ghz OC. Playing games I hit temps of 76-83c. I just ran Realbench with the EXACT same settings prior to the delid, and I'm maxing out at 62c. There definitely is a difference in ambient temp, so I don't think it is practical to say I got a 30c drop but it is still pretty fucking awesome seeing this. Keep in mind I replaced Intel's stock TIM with Grizzly Conductonaut and the IHS->Heatsink TIM is Grizzly Kryonaut.

I'm going to bump my OC up to 5ghz and Vcore up to 1.35 and see if it is stable. Will report back...

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Oh, it's used for like 7 months. Whoops.
If they have pics and it's still stock "unmodded", i don't see the problem, it's not like anyone games 24/7 to push that GPU to the limit, and if it is still stock, you can bet the OC, is min to none.

Don't be afraid of dust, most everyones computer is dusty and nasty, just take an air cleaner to it.