Desktop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Well, when I first built it the fans weren't an issue, which was back in May of last year.

But, I'd guess atleast ~9 months. It seemed to only start bothering me about a month ago though.
last month cuz of the continuous heatwave and the ambi temp in your computer room rose?

also if you find the corsair fans too loud or pitchy, of course just replace em w/ notcua's or bequiet

i'm a bequiet fanboi and they happen to have lowered (getting rid of) their purewings 2

be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120mm Premium High Speed Low Noise Cooling Fan | Black |BL080

for 10bucks (5bucks each) why not try em, i also just purchased 3 myself cuz i have a artic 360 come in and i'm gonna use the bequiet fans instead of the arctic fans

also, i have ptsd from artic fans, theyre actually sharp enough to cut you if you stick your finger in...

Last edited:

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I need to find a good electric wallmount room AC for my window-less hot AF office. Or figure out how to fix the broken skylight without falling off the roof...

Fucker

Log Wizard
I need to find a good electric wallmount room AC for my window-less hot AF office. Or figure out how to fix the broken skylight without falling off the roof...
Midea makes some nice units. I haven't used their through the wall units, but I have a big portable and it gets the job done and is quiet for what it does. Their window mount units are also highly rated.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
last month cuz of the continuous heatwave and the ambi temp in your computer room rose?

also if you find the corsair fans too loud or pitchy, of course just replace em w/ notcua's or bequiet

i'm a bequiet fanboi and they happen to have lowered (getting rid of) their purewings 2

be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120mm Premium High Speed Low Noise Cooling Fan | Black |BL080

for 10bucks (5bucks each) why not try em, i also just purchased 3 myself cuz i have a artic 360 come in and i'm gonna use the bequiet fans instead of the arctic fans

also, i have ptsd from artic fans, theyre actually sharp enough to cut you if you stick your finger in...

Well, the fans are silent now due to throttling so problem solved in the short term. If they start humming I’ll replace em.

I’m using noctua fans in the front and rear.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Midea makes some nice units. I haven't used their through the wall units, but I have a big portable and it gets the job done and is quiet for what it does. Their window mount units are also highly rated.

Ah, here's the problem. My little office has no windows and no wall connecting to the outdoors.

I should probably just get this skylight fixed so I can at least vent it open in the summer...

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ah, here's the problem. My little office has no windows and no wall connecting to the outdoors.

I should probably just get this skylight fixed so I can at least vent it open in the summer...
Depending on how much money/effort/compromise you'd be willing to throw at it, you could keep your pc in a different room. If I had a tiny room that's already teetering on the edge of too hot, I would check into it at least. You can run hdmi wirelessly or over home electric for example.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>

I have a 12K BTU Midea thru the wall unit beside me running right now. I can only tell because I made myself listen for it. They are so quiet it's hard to tell most times. I highly recommend them.

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
mini split

That still requires pipes/tubing run to a unit outdoors, no? This room is entirely interior, the external sides of the walls are all in the living/family room (up near the ceiling, they're 20 or 25 foot ceilings in those rooms). It's an interesting custom designed home from the early 80s.

The only outdoor access would be through the roof but I don't really want to fuck with that...

Palum

what Suineg set it to
That still requires pipes/tubing run to a unit outdoors, no? This room is entirely interior, the external sides of the walls are all in the living/family room (up near the ceiling, they're 20 or 25 foot ceilings in those rooms). It's an interesting custom designed home from the early 80s.

The only outdoor access would be through the roof but I don't really want to fuck with that...
You can't condition a room without dumping the heat and moisture somewhere. Either directly with the air or refrigerant in lines.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
A cheaper option without cutting holes in walls is to get a stand up unit which pumps the hot air outside via 5"-6" hose out the window. I got one for my cabin and it works great to cool down one med sized room. Plus I can take it down and store it in the closet when not using. Takes like 5 min to set up. But you do need a window.

something like this, but I got mine at costco like 5 yrs ago.

1724863285786.png

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
A cheaper option without cutting holes in walls is to get a stand up unit which pumps the hot air outside via 5"-6" hose out the window. I got one for my cabin and it works great to cool down one med sized room. Plus I can take it down and store it in the closet when not using. Takes like 5 min to set up. But you do need a window.

View attachment 543549
if there is even more restriction (b/c you have to dump the hot air somewhere in a portable)

can try swamp cooler, no exhaust to worry about, con is potential mold

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
if there is even more restriction (b/c you have to dump the hot air somewhere in a portable)

can try swamp cooler, no exhaust to worry about, con is potential mold
Like I said it works great. Cools down my entire living area in my cabin and that bitch is not even insulated to todays standards. Last time we were up there it was high 80s outside and it was a cool 75ish inside. Im sure its not as efficient as some other ones like built ins and window units, but it does the job. It cane with a n adjustable baffle which holds the hose and it pretty much fits any size window.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mini splits can be installed in interior rooms, they just need to have the lines extended and a condensation pump installed. Nothing any installer won't be able to handle.

If you have central AC you could try just running it in "fan on" mode to continuously run the fan and equalize the temperatures throughout the house. That's what that switch is there for.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

View attachment 543549
This plus window adapter so you dont need to put holes in wall

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Avoid single hose portables unless it's strictly temporary or there's no other doable option

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Avoid single hose portables unless it's strictly temporary or there's no other doable option

Oh? I've never heard anyone complain on these. I was going to get one myself for my office but decided to just change rooms instead.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Oh? I've never heard anyone complain on these. I was going to get one myself for my office but decided to just change rooms instead.
Those single hose units are pure trash. Not only do they blow air it just cooled to the outside, the compressor heats up the air in the room. The compressor is packed into the chassis with no real airflow, so they frequently shut down to keep them from over heating. Another side benefit of having bad efficiency is the fan has to run like a motherfucker to work at all. They do kind of work, but they suck ass in every way.

Midea has a nice dual hose unit. Hose within a hose. Big assed compressor gets plenty of cooling so it won't shut down due to over heating. No inside air is exchanged with outside air, so there's no pressure differential. It is as efficient as a good window unit, so the fan on low is decently quiet. I'm sensitive to fan noise and could sleep right next to this one. No water pans to empty or drain hoses to run. No filters to clog.

It can run as a cooler, a dehumidifier, or a heater.

The only drawback is that it is heavy as fuck, and 2x the price of a single hose unit. I've had mine for 2 years. It gets 4+ months of constant use a year and has been excellent.

It also fits any type of window.

06zdA3rheu3ON2IT7AGGXU9-4.jpg

• 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
What happened to the mineral oil submerged PC craze? Why cant i sit my pc in a submerged one thats cooled like a fridge?

asking for a friend.