Desktop Computers

Brikker

Trump's Staff
What's the "good" web browser now? I'm used to chrome and firefox but I know they have their issues, especially chrome...

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
My PC has started turning off randomly.. its happened 3 times so far today.. I noticed that the motherboard is still at least partially powered, for example the RGB on my DIMMS stays lit.. PC won't turn back on until I flick the PSU switch off, unplug it, press the power button a few times which causes the motherboard to finally lose power, then turn the PSU back on, then PC will start.

Is it likely to be a motherboard/cpu fault or it's just a faulty PSU?

bolok

Trakanon Raider
What's the "good" web browser now? I'm used to chrome and firefox but I know they have their issues, especially chrome...
Vivaldi- but 99% of the time i use Firefox just so we dont don't end up in a complete chromium browser monoculture. Tilting at windmills at this point, but eh.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My PC has started turning off randomly.. its happened 3 times so far today.. I noticed that the motherboard is still at least partially powered, for example the RGB on my DIMMS stays lit.. PC won't turn back on until I flick the PSU switch off, unplug it, press the power button a few times which causes the motherboard to finally lose power, then turn the PSU back on, then PC will start.

this sounds like another motherboard issue

i know common logic is just to blame the psu, but mb could also be tripping the psu (wire touching some, weird errant screw)

to rule out the motherboard being an issue, imo, and you won't like it

take out your entire computer, motherboard and all, place it on a box and power it up, if it works fine that way, then something is grounding/ungrounding your motherboard.

if not, then it's youre psu and you should pony up a new one.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Oh? I've never heard anyone complain on these. I was going to get one myself for my office but decided to just change rooms instead.
That guy is seriously autistic about heatpumps and efficiency. Guy honestly thinks furnaces are obsolete tech because heatpumps can put out lukewarm air down to 0 degrees now.

Single hose designs arent as efficient as a dual hose because they exhaust cool indoor air outside. Dual hose uses outside air to cool the condenser.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you go portable, the most efficient ones are split portables, they're not common though and bulky to store. I used one of these before when I lived in an apartment where I couldn't install a permanent unit. It shouldn't really cost 10k to install a mini split though, I DIY'd mine for under 1000 and that included renting a diamond hole saw.

1726034568193.png

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

Swap PSU and test - get one from bestbuy so you can take it back if the issue persist.

Gator

Trakanon Raider
Fuck it, ordered a Starforge PC with the 7800x3d and a 20gb Radeon 7900 xt. Haven't made a purchase for that much for myself in awhile. Early birthday present! No microcenter anywhere near me or I'd have gone that route.

Definitely gonna be a big boost from my 2070 super and 9900k.
Let me know how you like it. I've been eyeing them also. I'm in dire need of a new PC.

What do you mean by the microcenter bit? Have them build you a PC or go there for the parts and just build it yourself? The reason I ask is one just opened up in Miami three weeks ago. I went their last week but a lot of the shelves had been picked clean from the opening month craze.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Let me know how you like it. I've been eyeing them also. I'm in dire need of a new PC.

What do you mean by the microcenter bit? Have them build you a PC or go there for the parts and just build it yourself? The reason I ask is one just opened up in Miami three weeks ago. I went their last week but a lot of the shelves had been picked clean from the opening month craze.
would you trust a new hiree tech to build your pc?

Brikker

Trump's Staff

I'm not personally familiar with Microcenter but my understanding is you can buy the parts you want and pay them for a professional build with your parts.

I spent my day off getting the new Starforge setup and shit transferred over, programs installed etc. Seems pretty good so far. Temps running nice and stable under some load. I haven't been able to play anything modern to really test it but I got a copy of Space Marine 2 with the PC that I'll probably check out my next day off. Need to get Cyberpunk DLC and check that out to really see the graphics...

Out of the box no issues though. Everything intact, screws secure etc. No noticeable bloatware to purge. Very clean cabling. Nice looking overall, bit larger than my last tower.

20240910_104711.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
If you have a good case, which pretty much all of them are these days, and have all the parts, its pretty much like 2 hours to build one for a layman. All the step by step instructions with pictures and diagrams are in your motherboard book. It literally snaps and screws together easier than some bigger lego projects I have done with my kids. Not to mention the 100 youtube videos available with step by step instructions.

Plus you are learning how it all goes together and where shit is so that if something goes wrong, say an M2 SSD dies on you, you can service the shit yourself instead of standing there with dick in your hand hoping some tech kid fixes it without fucking anything else up at your local Best Buy.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
If you’re close enough to a micro center to buy one of the bundles, you’re also close enough to take something back if it doesn’t work. I haven’t personally had issues with defective parts, and I find it pretty satisfying to build a PC myself

• 2Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you can do thermal paste for the CPU cooler and remember to peel the plastic off a thermalpad cover you can build the rest of a PC.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Gator

Trakanon Raider
I'm just being lazy. This would be my third PC build first was in 2006 and second in 2014. I just want plug and play with out having to trouble shoot any issues. I'll probably just build one to save myself the $500 upcharge. I just need my motivation to kick so I can fixate on the project and get it done.

Fucker

Log Wizard
If you can do thermal paste for the CPU cooler and remember to peel the plastic off a thermalpad cover you can build the rest of a PC.
...unless it is a Ryzen 7xxx on a board with DDR5 that has old BIOS and outdated CPU microcode...which is a lot of them, even brand new ones. Or even more fun, a 7xxx board that has 3 revisions, neither of which are compatible with each other, despite having the same product name. More fun? Trying to flash a bare naked motherboard with a new BIOS, but that BIOS has a file name that isn't recognized, and that file name appears in exactly no documentation anywhere.

Then have more fun when your board revision has a wifi chip that needs drivers that aren't in a brand new Windows 11 installer. Do you know the work around to get Windows 11 to install without the super secret handshake? Does your installer have that super secret handshake enabled? If no, then no Windows 11 install for you.

Or you could unplug everything and move it close to the router to plug in ethernet and get internet that way...how many people know that?

Yeah, new computers aren't always all that in terms of ease of assembly and OS install.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user