Desktop Computers

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, I'm doing that, but it only works on my GPU fans:

View attachment 543338

Showing 2200 RPM's when it should be at 0%.

What a weird issue, but i cant complain myself - try using extenders and swapping to another fan header - similarly if youre using a fan hub use a 3 in 1 instead and route them differently.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Both my kids are now in school or daycare 4 days a week so I finally get 1 to 2 days a week I can PC game again (been a Steam Deck casual for a long time).

That said my 2019 build of 2070 Super and i9 9900k is lacking. Was thinking of a Starforge pre-built because my income is enough to pay the extra ~$500 for someone else to do the irritating work for me.

How long would a PC with a AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D and Radeon RX 7900 XT 20GB last me? Rest is typical 32ghz 6000 ram, MSI Pro B650-P Wifi mobo, liquid cooling, 750watt psu and win11 home.

1440p gaming.

GN just posted a review of a Starforge prebuilt a few days ago. They were overall pretty happy with it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
What a weird issue, but i cant complain myself - try using extenders and swapping to another fan header - similarly if youre using a fan hub use a 3 in 1 instead and route them differently.

Sad Pikachu GIF

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Fuck it, ordered a Starforge PC with the 7800x3d and a 20gb Radeon 7900 xt. Haven't made a purchase for that much for myself in awhile. Early birthday present! No microcenter anywhere near me or I'd have gone that route.

Definitely gonna be a big boost from my 2070 super and 9900k.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jovec

?
Not sure what is actually going on, but I have questions...

1) What are the actual temps when gaming and benching on the 4090? In terms of heat generation, that is temp independant and the card is 450w stock and can hit 600w.
1A) Which temps are you looking at? Modern AMD and NV cards report both the GPU temp and GPU hotspot/junction temp and these can vary by 10-20C.
2) What scores/FPS does the card get? Compare to similar setups to see if the 4090 is throttling.
3) Fan Control doesn't need/use a fan header to control GPU fans, but rather the GPU temp as reported by software. It's possible that running multiple monitoring apps my F that up
4) I've had GPUs that had a fan header, but that was used to power a case fan based on GPU temps. It's not an input so don't connect a header from the mobo to the GPU that way.
5) In that HwInfo64 SS, the GPU info will be at or near the bottom. The section shown is the SS is the mobo info that HwInfo warns might be buggy due to the EC Asus uses (Though I've never known it to be a problem)
6) Make sure the GPU power cable is fully plugged in, from the card, to adpaters (if any), to PSU. It shouldn't be possible unless you really force it, but if you are using a 12v Highpower connector to multiple PCIe 8 pin adapter, make sure you are using the PCIe 8 pin cables and not CPU 8 pin.
7) GPU fans are always loud over ~50% PWM anyway...so you need to confirm if it is a temp problem or an expectation problem.*
8) It's possible the card's cooler has a bad mount that makes poor contact between the GPU die and heatsink coldplate, and that mount has gotten worse (gap too large with poor paste contact) over time due to thermal cycling. I would confirm high temps / throttling before I went to the trouble of repasting.
9) Consider warranty service before disassembling.

*The first GPU AIB that ships GPUs with simple 120x25mm fan mounts as stock will print money.

Last edited:

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Not sure what is actually going on, but I have questions...

1) What are the actual temps when gaming and benching on the 4090? The card is 450w stock and can hit 600w.
1A) Which tempa are looking at? Modern AMD and NV cards report both the GPU temp and GPU hotspot/junction temp and these can vary by 10-20C.
2) What scores/FPS does the card get? Compare to similar setups to see if the 4090 is throttling.
3) Fan Control doesn't need/use a fan header to control GPU fans, but rather the GPU temp as reported by software. It's possible that running multiple monitoring apps my F that up
4) I've had GPUs that had a fan header, but that was used to power a case fan based on GPU temps. It's not an input so don't connect a header from the mobo to the GPU that way.
5) In that HwInfo64 SS, the GPU info will be at or near the bottom. The section shown is the SS is the mobo info that HwInfo warns might be buggy due to the EC Asus uses (Though I've never known it to be a problem)
6) Make sure the GPU power cable is fully plugged in, from the card, to adpaters (if any), to PSU. It shouldn't be possible unless you really force it, but if you are using a 12v Highpower connector to multiple PCIe 8 pin adapter, make sure you are using the PCIe 8 pin cables and not CPU 8 pin.
7) GPU fans are always loud over ~50% PWM anyway...so you need to confirm if it is a temp problem or an expectation problem.*
8) It's possible the card's cooler has a bad mount that makes poor contact between the GPU die and heatsink coldplate, and that mount has gotten worse (gap too large with poor paste contact) over time due to thermal cycling. I would confirm high temps / throttling before I went to the trouble of repasting.
9) Consider warranty service before disassembling.

*The first GPU AIB that ships GPUs with simple 120x25mm fan mounts as stock will print money.

My HWinfo isn’t showing GPU temps 🫠

Jovec

?
My HWinfo isn’t showing GPU temps 🫠

Take at look at Windows Task Manager (expand/show details if needed) and look for your GPU down the left column. Highlight and Windows should show temps for NV cards.

Uninstall Nvidia drivers and run a driver cleaner. Reinstall drivers and select option for a fresh install / settings reset (however they word it) and try again. If it still persists uninstall all apps that monitor stuff and try again (hwinfo, fan control, msi afterburner/etc...

Edit: If you have a spare SSD/NVMe and USB stick, I'd even consider downloading Windows and making an installable USB (windows media creation utility), then installing a fresh copy of Windows and just the NV drivers and see what happens. If you aren't getting GPU temps after that, I'd suspect a problem with Temp sensor/controller on the card.

Last edited:

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Take at look at Windows Task Manager (expand/show details if needed) and look for your GPU down the left column. Highlight and Windows should show temps for NV cards.

Uninstall Nvidia drivers and run a driver cleaner. Reinstall drivers and select option for a fresh install / settings reset (however they word it) and try again. If it still persists uninstall all apps that monitor stuff and try again (hwinfo, fan control, msi afterburner/etc...

Edit: If you have a spare SSD/NVMe and USB stick, I'd even consider downloading Windows and making an installable USB (windows media creation utility), then installing a fresh copy of Windows and just the NV drivers and see what happens. If you aren't getting GPU temps after that, I'd suspect a problem with Temp sensor/controller on the card.
is it the newest ver of hwinfo?

even task manager now shows gpu and temp, goto task manager->performance-> gpu

1724790951104.png

A proper roar at 35C. Once I turn off Diablo IV it drops to 31C and sounds like a loud PC. Wait a little while and it gets less lout around 29C.

Although even at 29C it has something high pitched going on. I'm dropping the GPU to 1.5% fan speed at 28C and it's still loud. Got dang.

There are some other fans in the box that stay at 2200 RPM's tho. Which I think are my two radiator fans.

1724791332514.png

Actually. I think the main culprit might be the Corsair radiator fans :O

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
View attachment 543462

A proper roar at 35C. Once I turn off Diablo IV it drops to 31C and sounds like a typical loud PC. Wait a little while and it gets quiet again around 29C.

Although even at 29C it has a ring to it.
and what is controlling your fan curves?

it might be easier to just download msi afterburner and let it just control your fan, no overclocking

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
and what is controlling your fan curves?

it might be easier to just download msi afterburner and let it just control your fan, no overclocking

Currently using Fan Control for GPU since none of my other fans show up.

I think the issue is the CORSAIR H100I ELITE CPLXXT 240 BK fans tho. Loud AF and I can't figure out how to slow them down.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Currently using Fan Control for GPU since none of my other fans show up.

I think the issue is the CORSAIR H100I ELITE CPLXXT 240 BK fans tho. Loud AF and I can't figure out how to slow them down.
i thought you said your main issue was the gpu is loud

and in default fan curve, gpu fans don't even spin until they hit 50c, if youre already spinning at idle 29c, you got something taking over your gpu fans

i know it sounds freaky, but just the sheer mass of the gpu heatsink is enough to keep it at 50c w/ fans at idle, if youre spinning at 35c something has taken control.

are you also using corsair icue software?

• 1Genius!

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Broooooooooooooos... All this time and it was my iCUE radiator fans. LAWL.

Blissful quiet!

I Love You Ily GIF by Chippy the Dog

[edit] It's so eerily quiet in my office now, lmao.

Thanks Lanx Lanx Xexx Xexx and Jovec Jovec

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Well? How long?

Well, when I first built it the fans weren't an issue, which was back in May of last year.

But, I'd guess atleast ~9 months. It seemed to only start bothering me about a month ago though.