Desktop Computers

Janx

<Silver Donator>
alienware really does make some gay cases
Got wife one a few years ago and can concur. ALso those things are HORRIBLE to fucking upgrade. Tried to put an old 1070 in it and it was too long. It had some half size 970 in it so...guess no upgrades for her ^^. Hopefully new models are better

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Okay boys looking for some recommendations. I use an Apple Magic Keyboard with my work computer so much that it has really grown on me. Now I want something similar to use with my PC. It's hard to pin down something that may be similar. Chiclet keyboard, small, no numpad. I like it so much and using for work causes me to mistype more than I usually do on my home computer.

I do intend to game with it and everything. Only thing I know is kind of similar is the Microsoft Modern Keyboard. I am open to suggestions.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Okay boys looking for some recommendations. I use an Apple Magic Keyboard with my work computer so much that it has really grown on me. Now I want something similar to use with my PC. It's hard to pin down something that may be similar. Chiclet keyboard, small, no numpad. I like it so much and using for work causes me to mistype more than I usually do on my home computer.

I do intend to game with it and everything. Only thing I know is kind of similar is the Microsoft Modern Keyboard. I am open to suggestions.
Real suggestion

Get a real keyboard at work

Edit: I would never use any of these, but something like one of these maybe?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

search for scissor switches or low profile mechanical

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Which of those do you like?
keyboard guys/gamers, like kailh switches now, they come in scissor and mechanical spring, they love it b/c the travel is basically non existent. it's a chinese switch so you're not gonna find em in a logitech/corsair board

they like the kailh switch b/c it also "rocks" less than your regular old cherry mx cuz it has a wider actuation pad rather than the thin cherry stem.

take advantage of the free amazon returns with Mechanical Keyboard HAVIT RGB Backlit Wired Gaming Keyboard Extra-Thin & Light, Kailh Latest Low Profile Blue Switches, 104 Keys N-Key Rollover HV-KB395L (Black)

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
keyboard guys/gamers, like kailh switches now, they come in scissor and mechanical spring, they love it b/c the travel is basically non existent. it's a chinese switch so you're not gonna find em in a logitech/corsair board

they like the kailh switch b/c it also "rocks" less than your regular old cherry mx cuz it has a wider actuation pad rather than the thin cherry stem.

take advantage of the free amazon returns with Mechanical Keyboard HAVIT RGB Backlit Wired Gaming Keyboard Extra-Thin & Light, Kailh Latest Low Profile Blue Switches, 104 Keys N-Key Rollover HV-KB395L (Black)

Please pretend I am retarded, which I am, and tell me what keyboard fits the criteria. I liked the one you linked but your first sentence indicates there is some different low travel chink keyboard I would like.

Go on.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Please pretend I am retarded, which I am, and tell me what keyboard fits the criteria. I liked the one you linked but your first sentence indicates there is some different low travel chink keyboard I would like.

Go on.
no that was the one, havit is some no name, but it's got a ton of reviews, i was just expanding on the kailh low profile switch (cuz they have other switches like a cherry mx clone and a "improved" cherry switch box).

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ok that's god to know. One more question. I'm hearing different answers but by having a 1700 cpu will it bottleneck a gtx 1080 gpu? Neither is OCed.
I have the same CPU and went through all of this before when I got my 1080Ti last year. And more recently thought for sure my CPU would be bottle-necking the GPU, but honestly don't think so. It hasn't felt slow at all, and the bottleneck calculator that we don't really know how it calculates says the combo is good as well! I'd hold out for as long as you can, and get the 4000 series maybe? that'd be a real upgrade!

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
I currently have a Ryzen 7 1700 cpu and was thinking upgrading to a Ryzen 7 3700x. Is it worth it going from a 1700 to a 3700x or with a Ryzen 3900x for $200 more? Just wondering what's the better cost effective upgrade and is it even worth upgrading.

Reason why I want to get into video editing like Premier and Davinci Resolve. Will be upgrading my ram from 16 to 32 so I'm thinking a batter CPU may be better for video creation and editing.
I would say wait for Ryzen 4000 this summer/fall just because release seems reasonably close. Ryzen 4000 is supposed to be the last AM4 upgrade and its rumoured to be a big upgrade.

I'm sitting on my 2700x and hanging on to wring out as much bang for buck as I can out of my X470 AM4 MB and ram before the move to DDR5. I've been tempted by the 3900x for both higher cores and single threads (for dev and vm work) but with AMD firing on all cylinders recently I'm thinking another 15% IPC increase + clock and energy efficiency improvements (close to 30% from Zen1+) might be worth wait.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I feel like Ryzen 4000 is going to be kind of like the 26/2700k back in the day. That processor generation that we all get and keep way too long.

Which is completely fine tbh

Crone

I feel like Ryzen 4000 is going to be kind of like the 26/2700k back in the day. That processor generation that we all get and keep way too long.

Which is completely fine tbh
i5-2500k and i7-2600k you mean?

Still have that processor running in my wife's PC with a nVidia 970, and it's totally fine.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
YEah I still have a box with my i5 2500K but its downstairs collecting dust. All it needs is a vidja card and some HDs and its good to go.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
i5-2500k and i7-2600k you mean?

Still have that processor running in my wife's PC with a nVidia 970, and it's totally fine.
Yep, that's the one. That is really way past it's life span at this point, but most people don't realize what they are missing. And for a long time it really just wasn't worth the upgrade

Crone

Yep, that's the one. That is really way past it's life span at this point, but most people don't realize what they are missing. And for a long time it really just wasn't worth the upgrade
That's what people say, and so I upgraded to a Ryzen 7 1700, and then found a deal on a 1080Ti to go with it, and do I see a difference? Sure. I can play Witcher 3 on max settings, 100+ FPS. Depends on the games you play I suppose, because highly optimized games like Destiny 2 or Overwatch? You could play those easily on the 2500k for a long time still. Graphics heavy games like The Division 2? ehh, start to see some slow downs.