Desktop Computers

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
My advice was based on the assumption he was going to/already had a pi4. And as I understand it the hardware is perfectly capable of playing 4k HDR, the software is the issue at the moment.

Nontheless, I'll look into what the 4 is capable of and see if maybe it will be good enough. I discounted the idea of a Pi to begin with based on what I researched last year, so who knows, it might do the trick.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

This monitor was very well reviewed on a technical level. I kinda want it now.

I'm waiting to see the features on the 48 inch OLED TVs that LG is putting out.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I wouldn't even wait for the 48". The 55"ers are a far better value than monitors at those prices and the 7" isn't going to result in much of a difference when it comes to view distance as you'll need to make changes for 48" as it is.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
IMG_0610 - Copy.JPG

O Microcenter, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
Nontheless, I'll look into what the 4 is capable of and see if maybe it will be good enough. I discounted the idea of a Pi to begin with based on what I researched last year, so who knows, it might do the trick.

Grab an Athlon 3000G and the Desk Mini barebones kit. Add ram, storage, wifi, and you'll have plenty of power for HTPC in a small package. Grab a $5 Windows key from Ebay.

I tried the RPi 3b in various software configurations. The 4 will be faster, but will be quite limited by the storage, ram, and wifi speeds. Granted, the Desk Mini will be $400 vs $50 for the RPi...but it is worth it not have to fiddle around with something that will end up being a podge anyway.

My Pi spends most of its life in a drawer now...where I suspect most of them do.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
That Asrock Desk Mini A300 looks like a great htpc system. Looks like perfect excuse to upgrade my htpc from a m-itx Fractal Cube if its compatible with Ryzen 4k APUs when they arrive.

I would consider an AMD 2400G with 8gb RAM a bare minimum for decent browsing & varried 4k media content (on Linux at least). In my experience it has always sustained a half decent desktop bare minimum whatever I've thrown at it, all while using tons of tabs in Firefox with 16 GB RAM and multiple sshfs links using compression to share drives on my network.

I have an older Pi and its fun for toy electronics/programming projects with my kids but I have doubts how well even an Rpi4 can handle browsing and mixed container/codec 4k media that you would probably want on an htpc.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Almost new PSU shat itself quite loudly this morning. Spare took just a few minutes to install because of my new easy to use chassis. This was my first PSU failure since the single core Athlon 64 days, so NBD. RMA will take years because of Coronavirus.

I've never had an audible PSU failure, nevermind one that sounded like a transformer outside going poof.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've never had an audible PSU failure, nevermind one that sounded like a transformer outside going poof.
Uh, did you get some kind of debris in it? Because that sound is usually something conductive bridging caps or something similar.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Spent the last couple hours moving my second PC out to join my main one. First I had the bright idea to switch it over to Linux, so I had to troubleshoot issues that wound up being secure boot fucking with various things, then it took me a good 2 hours to find a driver for my wireless adapter that actually worked, and then once I had all that up and running and connected a cable to do audio out from the the system and into the main system's input, I triggered some sort of EMI problem and the audio is tainted by a fair amount of static/whine and an intolerable level when my main PC's GPU is under load.

So now I need to look into an audio receiver or something that will let me combine both inputs into shared output without any sort of EMI. Anyone have any ideas?

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
I triggered some sort of EMI problem and the audio is tainted by a fair amount of static/whine and an intolerable level when my main PC's GPU is under load.

So now I need to look into an audio receiver or something that will let me combine both inputs into shared output without any sort of EMI. Anyone have any ideas?
For starters go full digital and head over to the FoH headphone thread for DAC ideas . I always had funky shit happen intermittently to audio when I used analog onboard or PCI(e) audio. Never again. Now I use hdmi audio (to digital reciever) or Toslink optical to a DAC that plugs to my Analog audio components.

Ome

Molten Core Raider
I haven't purchased a computer in forever and tax returns just came in and I'm buying my son a new computer. I'm lazy and am grabbing a pre built from Ibuypower. Gonna list the components below. Would really appreciate it if anyone is willing to look it over and tell me what they think, what its missing, what might be wrong etc.

Operating System :: Windows 10 Home - (64-bit)
Case :: iBUYPOWER Element PRO Front and Side Tempered Glass RGB Gaming Case
Case Fans :: Default Case Fan (Should I upgrade the fans or am I good with the liquid cooling?)
Processor :: Intel® Core™ i7-9700KF Processor (8x 3.60GHz/12MB L3 Cache)
Processor Cooling :: iBUYPOWER 240mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System - Black (Is this enough to keep it from any heating issues?)
Memory :: 16GB (8GB x 2) DDR4 3200MHz CORSAIR Vengeance LPX
Video Card :: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti - 6GB GDDR6 - MSI VENTUS XS OC (VR-Ready) or NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER - 8GB GDDR6 - MSI VENTUS GP OC (VR-Ready)
Motherboard :: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING 4S-IB -- 802.11ac WiFi, USB 3.2 Gen 1 (4 Rear, 4 Front), ASRock Super Alloy
Power Supply :: 750 Watt - Seasonic FOCUS PLUS SSR-750FM - 80 PLUS Gold, Semi Modular (Enough power?)
Primary Hard Drive :: 250 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD + 1 TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
External Optical Drive :: None
Network Card :: Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
INCLUDED ::WINDOWS 10 HOME INCLUDED
INCLUDED ::KB + MOUSE INCLUDED
INCLUDED ::WARRANTY INCLUDED
ADD FEATURES ::WI-FI (Hes not wired in. Do I need this considering the wifi shown under the motherboard?)
ADD FEATURES ::CLEAN PRO WIRING
ADD FEATURES ::RGB CASE LIGHTNING

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
I haven't purchased a computer in forever and tax returns just came in and I'm buying my son a new computer. I'm lazy and am grabbing a pre built from Ibuypower. Gonna list the components below. Would really appreciate it if anyone is willing to look it over and tell me what they think, what its missing, what might be wrong etc.

Operating System :: Windows 10 Home - (64-bit)
Case :: iBUYPOWER Element PRO Front and Side Tempered Glass RGB Gaming Case
Case Fans :: Default Case Fan (Should I upgrade the fans or am I good with the liquid cooling?)
Processor :: Intel® Core™ i7-9700KF Processor (8x 3.60GHz/12MB L3 Cache)
Processor Cooling :: iBUYPOWER 240mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System - Black (Is this enough to keep it from any heating issues?)
Memory :: 16GB (8GB x 2) DDR4 3200MHz CORSAIR Vengeance LPX
Video Card :: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti - 6GB GDDR6 - MSI VENTUS XS OC (VR-Ready) or NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER - 8GB GDDR6 - MSI VENTUS GP OC (VR-Ready)
Motherboard :: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING 4S-IB -- 802.11ac WiFi, USB 3.2 Gen 1 (4 Rear, 4 Front), ASRock Super Alloy
Power Supply :: 750 Watt - Seasonic FOCUS PLUS SSR-750FM - 80 PLUS Gold, Semi Modular (Enough power?)
Primary Hard Drive :: 250 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD + 1 TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
External Optical Drive :: None
Network Card :: Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
INCLUDED ::WINDOWS 10 HOME INCLUDED
INCLUDED ::KB + MOUSE INCLUDED
INCLUDED ::WARRANTY INCLUDED
ADD FEATURES ::WI-FI (Hes not wired in. Do I need this considering the wifi shown under the motherboard?)
ADD FEATURES ::CLEAN PRO WIRING
ADD FEATURES ::RGB CASE LIGHTNING

That motherboard has built in wifi and its decent so no need for the extra wifi.

The mouse and keyboard arent great but they will work until christmas/birthday where you can get a real nice rgb M/K for like 50-100 bucks each.

I really wouldnt get anything less than a 2070 super for the gfx card if youre putting down $1500

Last edited: