Desktop Computers

Fucker

Log Wizard
Their BIOS definitely is not as good as Intel's, but they're getting better

Saying one is worse than Intel's doesn't really say anything. Asus at one point had really shit BIOS for Ryzen and Intel, MSI had bad BIOSes for Intel, and so on. The BIOS Gigaybte puts out for Ryzen is as solid as the most solid BIOSes I've used for Intel boxes.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That's true. Most.of these board manufacturers are writing their own bios on top of the amd or Intel core code. I write with Intel code and it's pretty good

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
How are the amd chipset/cpu drivers now’a days? Used to suck ballz back in the day, same for gfx.
Can't speak for GPUs but cpu wise absolutely rock solid. I haven't crashed once after I've stopped screwing around with my memory settings and the 3 other people I know who bought ryzen processors say the same thing.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Question on coolers - usually I get the hyper 212. Should I get a noctua? Or liquid cool?

If I liquid cool is there an in the box solution or do I need to go custom? Never liquid cooled before

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Question on coolers - usually I get the hyper 212. Should I get a noctua? Or liquid cool?

If I liquid cool is there an in the box solution or do I need to go custom? Never liquid cooled before
All-in-one liquid cooling is stupid unless you are building a very small, cramped system. Get one of the big Noctuas or one of the big Be Quiets, and a case with decent front air intake.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard

Noctua cooler. Noctua case fans. I have a big one on mine and it easily keeps it cool. It was originally on my 4790k. I bought an adapter kit from Noctua for $8 to make it work in AM4.

• 1Like

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Nah trying to avoid that. As cool as it sounds though

It's all fun until one of the tubes is loose and proceeds to leak all over the board, frying everything.
The irony of frying your computer with liquid cooling as opposed to overheating would be delicious.

He got lucky... many are not so lucky.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I mean that's why you do things like leak test without power to things. Sure things can fail, but it's pretty damn uncommon.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Scythe Mugen 5 is another great air cooler.

Liquid is a meme. It was useful for overclockers at one point but these big air coolers are so efficient and quiet that it's really just more headaches for little gain.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It's all fun until one of the tubes is loose and proceeds to leak all over the board, frying everything.
The irony of frying your computer with liquid cooling as opposed to overheating would be delicious.

He got lucky... many are not so lucky.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Scythe Mugen 5 is another great air cooler.

Liquid is a meme. It was useful for overclockers at one point but these big air coolers are so efficient and quiet that it's really just more headaches for little gain.

I won't argue the performance, but I use an AIO because I can't stand how big the decent air coolers are. They are annoying to work with and around, imo.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
I won't argue the performance, but I use an AIO because I can't stand how big the decent air coolers are. They are annoying to work with and around, imo.

That's my problem. My main desktop uses a Corsair AIO, I decided to get fancy since I hadn't built in like 10 years. Then I decided to take apart my old desktop (i7 920) and stick it in a modern case. Bought one of those big brick CPU fans...what a pain in the ass. Much easier to mount a radiator and the small CPU block for an AIO.

And the nicer air CPU fans are nearly as expensive.

• 2Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
All the PC parts I'm ordered are out of stock until May. Hopefully I can get everything before price gouging starts

• 1Like

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Can't speak for GPUs but cpu wise absolutely rock solid. I haven't crashed once after I've stopped screwing around with my memory settings and the 3 other people I know who bought ryzen processors say the same thing.
CPUs are awesome.
I have an Asus X470 Hero VII and stability is now rock solid with overclocked 32GB RAM 3200mhz+ on a 2700x. It was good before but OCing and stability improved slightly after last years Ryzen 3000 release. Cheap, cool and fast. From everywhere I hear nothing but even better RAM/chipset performance and compatability with Ryzen 3000.

Izo Izo . GPUs however.... Avoid at all costs. Buy NVIDIA all the way.
I would avoid any AMD GPUs like the plague if you like stability. In my experience, avoid ANYTHING from RX4x0 to present day. AMD have really fucked up bios (and potentially drivers) that have random screen blanking issues even while NOT gaming (in my experience only @ 4k). Sometimes its fixed by a cold boot, sometimes not. Really annoying gfx cards, Windows/Linux doesnt matter. These issues span a minimum of three *generations* of AMD gpus and still arent anywhere close to fixed.

Its really hit and miss with AMD gfx hardware: I have 3 AMD workstation/test systems @ work (various cards from RX4x0 to 5x0 ) are fine for some reason. OTOH, ALL NVIDIA have been rock solid.
But my three home gaming systems (RX460, 570, 580) all have the same screen blanking issues to some degree. Only the 2400G APU is ok except for some Zen1 CPU flakiness under Linux.

So buy NVIDIA unless you have the patience for hardware doorstop roulette.

• 2Like

gak

<Gold Donor>
If you have any trouble screwing down the 15s I pinch down the springs by the screws a bit with a plier to take a little tension off.

c.gif

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users