Desktop Computers

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I found that in stock for MSRP at Best Buy, of all places. Free overnight delivery, too.

FFS, I just ordered a two-fan model three days ago because those were out of stock everywhere. Get it.
I'm not sure why it's different for me. It says out of stock and in store pick up only, which is unavailable in my city.

The MSI board is pretty much all I can find at the moment, but even the MicroCenter website someone linked earlier says the same thing for me. In store pickup only, out of stock. Not that it matters, I don't have a MicroCenter in my area anyway. I'm just gonna wait a couple weeks and see what comes back into stock. Thanks for the help though, dudes.

Also, yea I can do a wifi card if I have to but I really hate having the external shit sticking out of the PC. I'm spending a fuckton of money making a clean and minimalist build, but regardless of aesthetic I just don't want to break it and replace it either. I'll do it if I have to, but I'm gonna wait it out a little while and see what I can find. Why the hell are so many modern motherboards shipping without itegrated WiFi? The shit? I know hardwiring to an ethernet is vastly superior and more stable, but I don't always have that option.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
I'm not sure why it's different for me. It says out of stock and in store pick up only, which is unavailable in my city.

The MSI board is pretty much all I can find at the moment, but even the MicroCenter website someone linked earlier says the same thing for me. In store pickup only, out of stock. Not that it matters, I don't have a MicroCenter in my area anyway. I'm just gonna wait a couple weeks and see what comes back into stock. Thanks for the help though, dudes.

Also, yea I can do a wifi card if I have to but I really hate having the external shit sticking out of the PC. I'm spending a fuckton of money making a clean and minimalist build, but regardless of aesthetic I just don't want to break it and replace it either. I'll do it if I have to, but I'm gonna wait it out a little while and see what I can find. Why the hell are so many modern motherboards shipping without itegrated WiFi? The shit? I know hardwiring to an ethernet is vastly superior and more stable, but I don't always have that option.

For Micro Center page, you might have to manually change the store location to Micro Center Web Store, the last option. They have a different and muchmore limited stock available to ship (think the web orders come out of Ohio).

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Since someone asked about cheap cpus, right on time comes Tech Jesus

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If you're running a plex server and you aren't encoding 4k content or whatever (I'm bad with terms), I think any modern processor is going to be ok

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
hey guys recently bought hd58x headphones, i was wondering what amp/DAC + Mic combo i should go with for this headset willing to spend 200 for amp + Dac, dont really wanna go over 80+ for a mic

but if anyone has suggestions that would power theses headphones fully please post here this is new territory for me

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
hey guys recently bought hd58x headphones, i was wondering what amp/DAC + Mic combo i should go with for this headset willing to spend 200 for amp + Dac, dont really wanna go over 80+ for a mic

but if anyone has suggestions that would power theses headphones fully please post here this is new territory for me

Can't go wrong with a Schiit stack. Running them with my 6XXs and they do well. Imagine someone can chime in with some better, more constructive feedback than what I offered though.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I mean remove the discrete GPU.

So build the PC, configure the BIOS, load Windows, then remove the GPU from the PCIE slot and run it as a headless server?

Not sure but if you had to make it work somehow you can get one of those ultra-low end GPUs for under $50. Passively cooled so completely silent, and low profile so small cases are an option if needed. Won't run games worth a shit but these are more than powerful enough to handle GPU offloading for video decoding. I use one of these in an old core2duo box as a HTPC, it handles 1080 MKVs and netflix just fine.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

And there's a seperate thread for Mice and Keyboard as well, but that conversation seems to be over, so that's cool.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I built my brother a pc and swayed him to get the Meshify S2. I am currently using the smaller, c model. It's price is on the higher end for a case, but man I love this one. They pretty much fixed/enhanced every gripe I had with the older model while keeping everything that worked. Id recommend this to anyone looking to do a full liquid setup. For a regular air setup you can probably stick with the c, as you can see in the picture below theres a lot of wasted space even with a nocturna.

Improvements
The available space with mine made working in it a pain and limited cooling configurations. This one allows for pretty much any config.

Added back slots for vertical gpu mounting. I bought an aftermarket kit for mine and the results were meh and I ended up taking it off.

Top vent was reworked.

Added a fan controller mounted on the right side panel to help with cable management.

Pic for size comparison
20200507_200024.jpg

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Don't buy any keyboard that uses USB if you're worried about key reaction time, ps2 is superior because it's interrupt based and it doesn't need to wait for its turn on the USB. Also supports more simultaneous keypresses (what they call n-key rollover). Real world relevance to most users is doubtful though.

wdym ps2? this is the first time i dabbble outside of jus a 150$ gaming headset that came with a mic

i found this for that keyboard
SteelSeries Apex Pro Specs
The keyboard also supports 104-key rollover and 100% anti-ghosting, meaning you can press 104 keys at once and they'll all registe

that what you referring too?

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider

And there's a seperate thread for Mice and Keyboard as well, but that conversation seems to be over, so that's cool.

sorry big dawg, ya im ordering my
SteelSeries Apex Pro
now, keyboard all set now jus need DAC/AMP to work with these headphones the HD58X

looking for the easiest DAC/AMP combo possible since im new to going this high end with audio

Last edited:

Louis

Trakanon Raider
wdym ps2? this is the first time i dabbble outside of jus a 150$ gaming headset that came with a mic

The keyboard also supports 104-key rollover and 100% anti-ghosting, meaning you can press 104 keys at once and they'll all registe

Ps/2 is the old school port, rather than usb

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

1588959020594.png

Yea it's the older style plug. Not all mainboards even support it these days. Basically it gives the keyboard a direct line to the CPU so that whenever a key is pressed, the keyboard sends a signal directly to the CPU. A USB keyboard has to wait its turn on the bus, the CPU will ask each device in turn to transmit its data so the keyboard has to wait until it is polled for it to transmit its keystroke data. Result can be a 20-30ms delay before a keystroke actually gets registered if made via USB. Actual real world difference is probably negligible for most people but since you were asking about key actuation time I figured you'd want the max.

Hang around on the Geekhack forums if you want to know more about keyboards than you ever wanted to. It's probably where the whole mechanical keyboard trend started, with people heralding the qualities of old 1980s keyboards that are way better built and more pleasant to type on than a typical newer keyboard.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Funny enough at Raytheon we had pallets of old ps2 mechanical IBM keyboards with the curley wires. A lot of the military cabinets had super heavy duty built in mech keyboards too

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Per Hardware Unboxed, AMD pulled an Intel and will not release microcode for Zen 3 on 400 and 300 series boards, meaning you'll need an X570 (or a B550, whenever the fuck it comes out), unless the bad press causes them to change their minds.

Given reason: BIOS ROM chips aren't big enough to hold the data, which pretty much everyone views as specious.

Either:
  • AMD is taking a bullet for their board partners who are all whining that they can't sell enough mobos, or
  • They are supremely confident that Vermeer will crush anything Intel has, and they feel like they no longer need to make consumer friendly moves.

• 1Like

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Per Hardware Unboxed, AMD pulled an Intel and will not release microcode for Zen 3 on 400 and 300 series boards, meaning you'll need an X570 (or a B550, whenever the fuck it comes out), unless the bad press causes them to change their minds.

Given reason: BIOS ROM chips aren't big enough to hold the data, which pretty much everyone views as specious.

Either:
  • AMD is taking a bullet for their board partners who are all whining that they can't sell enough mobos, or
  • They are supremely confident that Vermeer will crush anything Intel has, and they feel like they no longer need to make consumer friendly moves.
F*ck that blows, hope its false as I was hoping to keep all my X470 mobos and get Zen3 upgrades for both home and work machines. Maybe AMD getting complacent already after seeing Intel *upgrades* this year.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
USB Keyboards from the last decade usually have lower input delay then before (20-30ms number is from 2002.) PS/2 was better for a long time but no one can really tell the difference now. To get all the modern features you're mostly stuck with USB.

AMD might be taking a difference stance with regards to device and driver compatibilities. Customers probably also disliked needing to find an old cpu just to update the bios on some motherboards. Helps that they are competing against 200 watt cpus that don't support Pcie Gen4, but still require brand new Gen4 boards.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Expect that all modern keyboards will use a minimum polling rate of 125 Hz (8ms), some will be higher or support variable settings of 250, 500, 1000 Hz. You will get some performance boost from a higher polling rate but it's not going to be a straight 8-4-2-1ms drop. With a high quality keyboard (1000Hz/1ms polling) and excellently coded game you can get a 10-15ms response from press to action on screen. But a standard keyboard USB vs PS/2 you would see something like 30ms drop to 20ms because getting below that is entirely reliant on the hardware/coding and not just the connection.