Desktop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The gas cost alone in their vehicles wouldnt cover the cost of shipping that tube of thermal paste. At least not out to my house. Im sure they'll make it up somewhere else, but my sole point was that they could have just mailed it to me in an envelope or something at a fraction of the cost with the rest of my bulk mail.

Dont get me started on Amazon VS USPS - Theyve taken a major shit on the USPS system and its had to accommodate them every step of the way. They are bound by regulation not to make a profit, and the goal is to just break even. So there is no surprise that a corporation is taking advantage of them.
last week, webcam died, in the morning, it was easier to order it on amazon and they deliver it at lunch time lulz, warehouse is in nashville so it's 30m away, i saw the tracking, it was 4 stops until it reached me.

i was watering my lawn when a black hyundai and a black lady comes out...

i'm like "excuse me, are you amazon?"

shes like "yea boo give me a minute, oh lordy its hot"
contrary to my web prescense i'm actually a nice guy, so i grab her a water from my fridge.

she was drinking, then she said, "ok lets go, hey 'tashia, move over, i gotta grab that package"

i'm like wtf? and i looked in the backseat and theres a girl sitting there and a big amazon box of packages

she took the pic, gave me the webcam and got in and left before i could axe another question.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
last week, webcam died, in the morning, it was easier to order it on amazon and they deliver it at lunch time lulz, warehouse is in nashville so it's 30m away, i saw the tracking, it was 4 stops until it reached me.

i was watering my lawn when a black hyundai and a black lady comes out...

i'm like "excuse me, are you amazon?"

shes like "yea boo give me a minute, oh lordy its hot"
contrary to my web prescense i'm actually a nice guy, so i grab her a water from my fridge.

she was drinking, then she said, "ok lets go, hey 'tashia, move over, i gotta grab that package"

i'm like wtf? and i looked in the backseat and theres a girl sitting there and a big amazon box of packages

she took the pic, gave me the webcam and got in and left before i could axe another question.
For some reason, I feel like Ive seen an article about Amazon creating gig worker jobs for delivery. I can see more harm coming out of that than good.

Especially after having to deal with a set of Lian Li fans that were supposed to arrive two weeks ago (Apr 25th), they said they would email me when they were shipped. A few days pass - I still had not received them, I went through customer service and told them I would just like to cancel them. I cant cancel them cause theyre in "advanced shipping" whatever the fuck that is cause they arent giving me a relevant definition of that, either. So Im just guessing that they'll be shipped soon. Two more days pass - still nothing. I go to customer service again, they repeat the same thing. Ask for a Supervisor. The Supervisor "sends an email" to the team - and I get an email with instructions on how to return the item once it arrives. Fast forward to yesterday, theyre set to arrive on May 15th-19th. Bro - I already ordered them from another company and got them in two days. Whatever, Ill return them - but I would have been fucking irate as hell if it had been something expensive, or show stopping. If all that is happening just trying to get the item shipped -what happens when Keisha decides to keep a package, or loses it under her seat?

Amazon works flawlessly, till it doesnt. Then its a fucking shit show.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Amazon is a vertical monopoly in the making. They own their own shipping for the majority of the transit, so their cost per unit is not going to be comparable to UPS/FedEx/USPS.
Amazon outsources shipping through their Delivery Service Partner program. It is a clever way to outsource shipping losses. Not very good for the guy who got conned into being a DSP and paying Amazon to use their trucks, but hey.

Fucker

Log Wizard
The gas cost alone in their vehicles wouldnt cover the cost of shipping that tube of thermal paste. At least not out to my house. Im sure they'll make it up somewhere else, but my sole point was that they could have just mailed it to me in an envelope or something at a fraction of the cost with the rest of my bulk mail.

Dont get me started on Amazon VS USPS - Theyve taken a major shit on the USPS system and its had to accommodate them every step of the way. They are bound by regulation not to make a profit, and the goal is to just break even. So there is no surprise that a corporation is taking advantage of them.
Amazon is making it up by having shitty prices on many things. Pretty much everything is cheaper to buy at a B&M these days, and sometimes by a lot. Not only do their prices suck, counterfeits are a huge problem. I got 2 orders back to back that were counterfeits.

Of the last 5 orders, 4 were returned. Amazon takes huge loses on returns, too. They are looking at charging people for returns because they are getting murdered by them.

Further, Amazon is little more than a digital flea market for Chinese trash. Do they really need to have 18467190 sellers selling the same thing, but under different dumb names? It gives off a huge scuzzy vibe like a flea market/pawn shop experience. I accidentally clicked on my Amazon link earlier and had to wipe down my monitor with Lysol.

Outside of a few inexpensive items, I'm not going to be using Amazon for anything anymore. The ease proposition is gone because I have to go out of my way to return items. The prices are bad, and pretty soon returning orders will cost cash.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Xexx Xexx - Ive seen you play with different cases. Whats the best case you've seen that doesnt cost more than say, 300 bucks? That fits a 360 AIO and a 4090 Strix. Dont really care about looks as Im not an RGB fag - just trying to find something that handles the air flow better than what I have.

Nv7 is the case i am going to build into next. I am planning a dual 360 rad(top/bottom) with the alphacool 360 on the side. For standard AIO its hard because the Torrent is my favorite case but i couldnt see myself removing the 180 fans from the front. However i dont think it affects the overall performance and you technically can mount in the front if you want.

O11 is the O11 and well, it supports a plethora of combinations but im just tired of seeing the god damn thing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kais

<Gold Donor>
There was a big thing here right before the pandemic where Amazon was recruiting a bunch of "local business partners" to create last mile shipping companies. Helped the companies get started, buy a bunch of vans, then after 6 months completely fucked them on delivery schedules and comps. Something like a dozen companies went under in less than a year as Amazon's per package comps wasn't even close to paying the van payments and the drivers got sick of paying for fuel out of pocket and not reimbursed.

But yeah, had more than a couple packages delivered recently by some lost looking gig worker in a ratty hatchback with bald tires.

The oversized box thing comes down to "not my job to care" mentality. Packers use the boxes that the computer tells them to. Box size is entered by a receiving weeny who often measures the received container and not the 100 individual products inside the container.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I am glad that in the last couple years others have realized how shit tier Asus and Samshit can be - 2 things i detest in my builds unless its a comissioned build.

Gigabyte or MSI for Mobo
GPU idc they are all the same in the end +/- 1-4%
Ram is usually Gskill but i went with V-color for the A-die 7200 kit
PSU - Silverstone, Seasonic, EVGA - Tho id kick all those aside for the Thor so long as you can view it.

• 1Like

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Modem/Wifi question:

Moving into a new ~2000sq ft, single story home. Network panel is in middle of house and Cat 6 hardwired to 5 rooms.

Getting Gigabit service from Cox, comes with free panoramic modem.

Recommendation for modem/router/mesh network? I'm probably going to hardwire to my TVs and PC.

Suggestions?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Modem/Wifi question:

Moving into a new ~2000sq ft, single story home. Network panel is in middle of house and Cat 6 hardwired to 5 rooms.

Recommendation for modem/router/mesh network? I'm probably going to hardwire to my TVs and PC.

Suggestions?
Is Verizon not an option? Cox sucks, everything about DOCSIS is just a terrible technology that should have died and been replaced with fiber a long time ago.

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am glad that in the last couple years others have realized how shit tier Asus and Samshit can be - 2 things i detest in my builds unless its a comissioned build.

Gigabyte or MSI for Mobo
GPU idc they are all the same in the end +/- 1-4%
Ram is usually Gskill but i went with V-color for the A-die 7200 kit
PSU - Silverstone, Seasonic, EVGA - Tho id kick all those aside for the Thor so long as you can view it.

Asus just coasted by on name recognition and got way too expensive for what they offered. Their budget spinoff ASRock (which they no longer own) has already overtaken them in market share in some countries. I generally went with Gigabyte in the last 15 years but their prices are kinda getting up there too so I went with ASRock for my most recent build. I don't mess around with ultra high end CPUs or overclocking anymore but for what I build (upper mid range stuff) it's been just fine, zero issues and extremely stable.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Modem/Wifi question:

Suggestions?

Hit the networking thread for router ideas. I just got a linksys AX3200, but won't be unboxing it until I move in to my new place tonight so not sure if it is a good buy or not. 4x 1gb port + wifi. New place has google fiber.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Is Verizon not an option? Cox sucks, everything about DOCSIS is just a terrible technology that should have died and been replaced with fiber a long time ago.
FTTH is cost prohibitive to install. You have to have a pretty tightly packed community or large MDU to make it worthwhile. DOCSIS is slower, but coax is ubiquitous and in place already for all cable companies.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

I've been having a weird issue with my Alien/desktop.

Sometimes my desktop will show that it's not connected to the internet (or have a single bar of connectivity) while my iPhone has full connectivity to the router.

My office is only a room and a half away from the router and the phone is fully connected, so there's no reason my desktop should be having issues. I recently upgraded my PC as well and I'm still having the same issue. New mobo, but I'm using a cloned HD.

Could it be a software issue?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've been having a weird issue with my Alien/desktop.

Sometimes my desktop will show that it's not connected to the internet (or have a single bar of connectivity) while my iPhone has full connectivity to the router.

My office is only a room and a half away from the router and the phone is fully connected, so there's no reason my desktop should be having issues. I recently upgraded my PC as well and I'm still having the same issue. New mobo, but I'm using a cloned HD.

Could it be a software issue?
i've read devices have been having issues w/ wifi6e, is there a setting you caan turn off the 6g antenna and only use the 5g instead?

your router doesn't have 6g anyway

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
FTTH is cost prohibitive to install. You have to have a pretty tightly packed community or large MDU to make it worthwhile. DOCSIS is slower, but coax is ubiquitous and in place already for all cable companies.
I'm just saying, if there's a choice between FIOS and DOCSIS, always choose FIOS, and it's not close.

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
My AT&T Fiber is by far the best experience I've ever had, and I've tried just about everything since Dial-Up.
Internet_20230512.png

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I have one of these (with the mesh) and LOVE it. I wasn't wild about not being able to tinker with the nuts & bolts of settings as I was used to total control but , I found a new appreciation for set it and forget it. It's pings you to update the firmware when one is ready and other than that I don't even think about it. Only thing I don't like is it does not have a USB port. I use a usb HDD for a low rent NAS.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I have one of these (with the mesh) and LOVE it. I wasn't wild about not being able to tinker with the nuts & bolts of settings as I was used to total control but , I found a new appreciation for set it and forget it. It's pings you to update the firmware when one is ready and other than that I don't even think about it. Only thing I don't like is it does not have a USB port. I use a usb HDD for a low rent NAS.
What’s the setup? Is this the modem and router? Or just the router?

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
What’s the setup? Is this the modem and router? Or just the router?
My ISP doesn't use a traditional modem it's wireless microwave with a modulator tied directly to my router. By 'hands on' , I mean I usually do DD-WRT or other firmware and lock everything down like a proper paranoid autistic. This is all set up with a phone app and the overall settings are pretty general. You can look it all up on their website. I do like that the app and the router (one with the screen) had speedtest embedded so you can test it if you think you are having issues without going and shutting all the other devices off.