Destiny: Rise of Iron 9.20.16

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Looking through that material, and especially the proof in the form of background details seen in Bungie's own marketing videos, I have a feeling that the original game was going to be both much larger and make a lot more sense. Hell the areas datamined from the first DLC appear in stuff from over a year ago, not to mention the whole business with Rasputin and trying to recover more of his mind at different outposts fits in with the plot that exists currently in the game and is immediately dropped for no reason whatsoever.

Now maybe having the Traveler be evil and essentially keeping humanity hostage rather than protecting them is a bit too moustache-twirling and somewhat predictable... but having what you believe to be true twisted around by the authors of the history books makes for a very nice educational moment in terms of questioning the nature of "truth".

At the very least it seems like there was a more cohesive game that was playable a year ago than what we got handed a couple weeks back.

Note the recent response from the Bungie PR person: (Spoilered for display brevity)

In response to this quote: "GIVE US A SCHEDULE AND COMMUNICATE BETTER: This is my final plea to Bungie. The game is already out; we don't need to be left in the dark anymore. They need to tell us when content is being released and what we can expect so that we can voice our opinions better and prevent them from making more mistakes."
I would offer this:
'The Dark Below' is the continuation of the Destiny story. It's being released in December. It will contain content that is being completed and enhanced as I type these words. We'll detail that out soon so you can make your own decisions.
As for communication, there are now 5 articles about Destiny updates (Bungie : News) as well as some revealing Dev Notes (Bungie : News) that speak a lot to what we've learned and how we're reacting. That falls outside the other content I'm publishing whenever I can to open a window into our studio.
I'm not here to argue with you. I believe that, as the player, your emotional reactions to our games are never wrong. Those magical things that happen in your brain when you play are not things I would ever try to talk you out of. We learn from them. We listen to that because it's valuable to us.
What I would say is that Destiny rests on a foundation, and we're building on it. Many people are playing, and we're working to honor that passion and enthusiasm by supporting the experience. There are always things we can do to make the game better, and we're being aggressive about doing them.
And, this conversation will continue. Sincerely, I thank you for playing, and for talking about what you want Destiny to be. It's my job to give you a voice in our house, so don't stop talking.
I'll be around.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Just did a Aetheon kill where no one got armor and only one person got a weapon - Chatterwhite for all....loot system so good.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
What the hell is Aetheon anyway? In light of the revelations about the Story I have to wonder exactly how this fits in to anything. As far as I can tell the whole significance of the Vault of Glass is that its a Raid with Vex and they need to die because reasons.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Aetheon is the guy who really ran the Island on LOST and the reason why Jack, Kate, and Ford all died at the end of the show. He was the magical time travel generator connected to the hard-to-push dial that Ben used.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i'd be interesting to hear the full story on what happened, obviously something major changed in the past year and the game got gutted and the story tossed. I think most people are betting that Activision came down hard on shipping and corners had to be cut, but who knows.

For anyone doing queens bounties, a nice little shortcut is doing the easy version of the story boss and leaving the adds alive and killing only the target boss. immediately when the boss dies (and bounty is complete) go to orbit. next day if you get the same bounty, if you start on easy again you will be AT the boss and skip all the crap before that. It works since they reused story missions for queen missions. This is for daily queen bounties that give rep and 1 token like kill draksis or raksis (LOL at the names) etc, its NOT for the level 24 queen roulette daily, since you have to actually clear the story and start the 30 sec timer for it to count as done on those (and get a shot at ship/sniper).

Column_sl

shitlord
If you read the cards for the vault the relic you use as a shield is a guardian who mapped out the vault. He then sacrificed his life to become the weapon future guardians would use to defeat it.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
If you read the cards for the vault the relic you use as a shield is a guardian who mapped out the vault. He then sacrificed his life to become the weapon future guardians would use to defeat it.
Wow. What a hero

Lie-down-try-not-to-cry-cry-a-lot.jpg

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
It's not unusual for MMO bosses to have no context or reason to exist, but for some reason the total lack of... anything about Vault of Glass bugs me. Maybe it's because of all the aliens in Destiny, the Vex are the most boring and conventional. Oh look, 70s Cylons. Next.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I cant help but think that they (and indeed everything) had a much more elegant backstory once upon a time. Probably tied into why both the Fallen and the Cabal are fighting against the Vex. Like if the Vex were intergalactic forces of Order who were trying to keep part of the Traveler's Darkness imprisoned in the Black Garden and we went in and set it free. Or if they weren't taking over Mercury Venus and Mars but rather working to fix/preserve them.

I still think the notion of the Traveler not being humanity's protector but rather using us as human shields to prevent the real good guys from attacking it as a pretty slick idea.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'd like to know why all your equipped armor gets xp from mission completions, but none of your weapons do.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Trying to explain how the first raid works to MMO newbs is a pain that will linger for some time... I really think they should have started with something a bit less complex even if it seems trivial to MMO vets.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Considering we've all been bitching about the simplicity of the game since launch, I'm glad at least one thing is complex.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Fair enough, but given that everything has been so simple these guys are blissfully unaware of even basic mechanics. Just getting the door open was a trial in language comprehension