Destiny: Rise of Iron 9.20.16

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
The reason I've enjoyed the game so much is mainly because I've been grouping with so many people from the forums. I feel for the people that thought this was going to be more of a social game, but don't have the friends list to make strikes with.

Feel free to invite me if you're doing the raid or the nightfall(I need to finish the fusion rifle bounty). I'm done with my weekly "chores" and I don't really need to do the dailies. I just log in to shoot aliens and talk to people.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I can confirm that change. Just did one, and no more shards.

Luckly I've banked a shit ton
*%(&^ I finished 3 Queen's bounties last night and didn't run them since I wanted to run with Dwreck, nick, etc and the others I've been running with every other night or so. I figured at worst I would get shards and that could at least upgrade my current gear.

Even when I was pissed because I got the Queen's helm for the 5th time I was still mollified by the fact that I could shard it and turn it into something useful!

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Where did you see this? If this is true does this mean that I literally have TWO ways to upgrade legendary gear? Farm raid mobs and the daily for ascendant material? Please someone tell me this isn't true. Sharding queens purples was the only reason for me to even bother doing them. And the off chance I finally get a legendary hand cannon. This game is fun when you get a party chat of 3+ people going and just shoot this shit but it isn't THAT fun. I spent half the other night playing PoE while talking to others who were raiding. Was 10x more fun.
It's true and it's already live. There's a few ways to get ascendants: daily PE, gold PE rewards (extremely rare now, that was definitely stealth nerfed in a hotfix last week), daily heroic mission at 26/28, weekly nightfall if you get screwed and don't receive an exotic, etc. It's definitely a trickle compared to dismantling Queen items though, that's for sure. I'm just glad I didn't upgrade any armor this week because I was waiting to see what Xur has to offer.

RE: legendary hand cannons, just buy The Devil You Know from the Vanguard. You'd have to get absurdly lucky with mods and magazine size to ever find one comparable to that one.

Column_sl

shitlord
To add to that list buy 2 legendaries every week, and that's at least 4 more shards.

So basically the devs make the same mistake every mmo dev has made. Seperate the elitists ( like myself) from the casuals.
When the casuals make the majority of your player base, and the elitists will just poopsock your game in a couple weeks then stop logging on.

So now you have the top end with no reason to play, and the casuals who are just pissed off all the time because it will take them monthes to catch up.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's true and it's already live. There's a few ways to get ascendants: daily PE, gold PE rewards (extremely rare now, that was definitely stealth nerfed in a hotfix last week), daily heroic mission at 26/28, weekly nightfall if you get screwed and don't receive an exotic, etc. It's definitely a trickle compared to dismantling Queen items though, that's for sure. I'm just glad I didn't upgrade any armor this week because I was waiting to see what Xur has to offer.

RE: legendary hand cannons, just buy The Devil You Know from the Vanguard. You'd have to get absurdly lucky with mods and magazine size to ever find one comparable to that one.
That is actually what I am going to do. I am already VG3 but I can only max at at 130 or so VG marks this week so I can get to 150 till next tuesday. But doing it this way means there is literally zero reason for me to play anything other then Vault of Glass. Well and to help others out if they need it (which is fun for the very few times it is needed)

I don't know how I feel about grinding strikes. I grinded so many in the first couple of weeks already and I know how bad the drops were before.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I mean.... I'm not sure there'd be much of a point in going if you had fully upgraded legendary gear 2 weeks into the game? Then you'd be sitting on your hands waiting for content drops like this is the other 1/2 of MMO's. You either grind it out on timers, or you get geared too quick and game over.

Also I like how very, very few of you PVP. Motherfuckers bought Halo 2.0 and don't even play matchmaking. Kill yourselves.

Column_sl

shitlord
Pretty sure a good amount of us PVP, but there is no in game ranking system, or any type of rewards for excelling.

A far cry from the Halos imo.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I mean.... I'm not sure there'd be much of a point in going if you had fully upgraded legendary gear 2 weeks into the game? Then you'd be sitting on your hands waiting for content drops like this is the other 1/2 of MMO's. You either grind it out on timers, or you get geared too quick and game over.

Also I like how very, very few of you PVP. Motherfuckers bought Halo 2.0 and don't even play matchmaking. Kill yourselves.
TBH I think I did much of this to myself. I grinded to VG3, max PvP and Max VG marks then I probably grinded the equivalent of twice that for both PvP and VG marks just trying to gear and finish Exotic bounties. I've really just burned myself out.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Pretty sure a good amount of us PVP, but there is no in game ranking system, or any type of rewards for excelling.

A far cry from the Halos imo.
There is no ranking system, true.... yet. I'd expect that in a few months. Probably DLC 1 time.

Halo had no reward for 'excelling' except motherfucker seeing your medals and K/D. Maybe later on with gear and shit but mostly that came from PVE.

They need the 'special ammo killstreak' playlist I mentioned earlier, a friendly vehicle map with new vehicles, a ranking system, and a better reward system. Every legendary I've gotten in PVP I've gotten at the bottom of the pile. Most times I go 30-10 and shit I get maybe the blue shotgun for the 30th time or absolutely nothing. They need to fix that shit. Just reward people who get X captures or X K/D and then have some consolation roll for nerds who can't play worth shit.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
It's clearly not a game designed for the hardcore MMO types. The loot is just too damn random.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
It's clearly not a game designed for the hardcore MMO types. The loot is just too damn random.
All of my team that has raided did so by getting 200 marks in the first two weeks and Vanguard Rank 2 and getting 3 pieces of legendary armor.

The game isn't that hard or random when it comes to loot. Especially for the hardcore MMO types. There is only one person in our team whining about loot and he has barely logged on and had a blue helm for a while. The rest of us were all 28 or 29 this week.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The game isn't that hard or random when it comes to loot.
Unless of course you want good and/or optimized loot that has the correct stats and the correct mods for the weapons you prefer. Or you want, you know, exotics beyond what Xur deigns to offer you or the mostly-crappy ones from bounties.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Its pretty random. I have 4 legendary and 1 exotic heavy weapons and not even a single legendary primary. Even before Queen's Wrath I had chests and hats out the wazoo but still sport blue legs (except on my Titan and Hunter alts who both have legendary legs...)

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Honestly, a lot of the problem would be solved by having blue armor on the vanguard vendor at rep 1. That would let you bootstrap into heroics without a farm fest.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Nothing that hasn't already been rehashed already but there just seems to have been such a huge disconnect between the encounter team(s) and loot team(s) and the way everything is presented to the player (outside of the comment a_skeleton_03 made about the faction gearing, that is pretty straightforward but still below what it should be).

It was obvious early that the best way to gear up was to most efficiently kill 2,000+ mobs an hour, hoard engrams, and go play the lottery. And with their comments in the blog it seemed like they wanted that. But the engram drops were so rare, and them being something useful even more RNG, that the only efficient option was the Cave and other similar spots. But apparently that isn't the point since they're now nerfed and don't seem to be part of the vision.... So why weren't there 2,000 mobs on story quests, strikes, and other content locations for us to meet this threshold of actually seeing engram drops so that we could head back to the almighty Cryptarch to see what we won.

But then we also have these strikes to do at varying difficulties that last somewhere between 20 min - 45 min (starting out, gearing up, etc...). Kill a few mobs, not near enough for any sort of reliable engram drops, kill a sub-boss and boss for no loot then watch the random distro to award you and your friends with nothing. Oh you do get a couple of marks and/or some faction, so you can do those strikes for hours on end. Or you can just PE / Patrol grind on planets which is quicker, easier, and just all around more productive. Because apparently Team A didn't communicate to Team B to balance the way this works.

If it is a more traditional experience they're going for the Strikes and Missions should have had some stable loot production and reason to funnel players toward them. Or at least balanced against people who just want to mindlessly grind loot caves for engrams.

I'm less critical of the PVP loot distro and awards just because every mode and match can vary drastically in experience. I do like the idea of rewarding streaks with perks/ammo of some sort, and maybe prioritize awards or loot pool to the winning team / over achievers.

Anyways, that's all over the place and kind of stream of consciousness.. trying to type while farming this Nightfall for 200 kills. There really is a lot of good and potential here and it is sad that there wasn't more communication or play testing for the loot / gear system that went in at launch. The other suggestion of having blues was good also as a bridge between your greens at 20 and the legendaries.

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
Are bungies or MSs servers shitting the bed? I've been rolled back once and dropped 2-3 times in the last 15 minutes.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
If this game required min/maxing you might have a point.

We beat the raid this week in an hour and a half with zero real effort. We took longer on platform jumps than and maze than we did on Atheon himself. Not one of us are min/maxed to the gills like you are acting like needs to happen.

If you don't have a legendary primary you are putting casual effort at best into the game yet complaining it isn't built for the hardcore MMO personality.

These are the following things I have without any of it coming from loot cave.

6 legendary primaries, 2 dismantled, earned 8 total.
1 legendary secondary, 1 exotic secondary.
1 legendary heavy weapon, 1 exotic heavy weapon.
1 legendary helm, 2 exotic helms.
1 legendary arms.
1 legendary chest.
1 legendary boots.

I have one or two items for alts that I am not even counting.

My exotic helm is maxed out upgrades, the other two helms are pretty much maxed out XP but not actually upgraded unless I need them. My other armor pieces are maxed out except for the last shard tiers so I could hit 28 but save up shards for raid drops. I have 3 primaries maxed out XP and the newest raid weapon is upgraded except for last circle, waiting on more energy. My exotic sniper is completely upgraded since it is OP. My legendary heavy weapon is half filled with XP. Both subclasses are maxed out.

I did all that with 72 hours played over the last 3 weeks. We spent 9 hours of that in raid mainly the first week. I have done 19 PVP matches ..... only 19.

I can't even claim hardcore with all that time. There is plenty of RNG but there is so much you can do to take RNG into your own hand.

In the past 3 weeks you could have easily PVE'ed a full suit of legendary and at least one legendary weapon guaranteed with no RNG from PVP, you would automatically get 2 as long as you get to Rank 3 with any reputation so you could have waited until you got that done and then if you got a secondary you would buy a primary or vice versa. You could have done that in a fraction of the time it took me.

Eatbeast

Lord Nagafen Raider
They made the exact same mistake as early D3 with regards to loot. The content that they wanted players to do was not the most rewarding, so players did the most rewarding thing (loot cave) instead. Just like in D3 when running MP2 was better than trying to run MP10. The solution is easy, make the content that you want people to play have the highest rewards. As it stands people will just find a slightly less efficient loot cave and do that for hours.

Game is far from dead just because the loot cave is nerfed tho. The changes they have in the pipeline sound good, just have to see how long it takes to push them through.