Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

Dis

Confirmed Male
So I need some help with my HellTrapper.

I had discovered that they proc will copy your runes of your Sentry/Caltrops/Traps if you are using them actively. Needless to say I am in a bit of a pickly as to what to use.

I cannot give up "Mark" or "Wolf pet", too much DPS. I am not tied to Vault as much as I dont really farm or need to move quickly. I play it like I play my Wizard, stay as far back as possible. The only thing I can see giving up is my Multi-Shot and Vengeance which makes me sad in the pants because I love those skills. But the idea of procing "jagged spikes/torturous ground/hooked spines, and sticky trap and spitefire/chains" seems too good to pass up. I was able to proc 6 chains at one time using the bow. So anyways, worth it to do, any better suggestions like maybe just go with 2 actives from the proc instead of 3, stick with multi or vengeance? Better runes? Thanks in advance

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I would replace vengeance or multishot with sentry, whatever rune you like, I personally don't like the chains one, forces you to move to position correctly and the range isn't even the entire screen so you can't run too far from it either, meh. Spitfire is nice for a fire build since it gets a lot of damage increase, otherwise the piercing one for "aoe". Wouldn't bother with caltrops or mines. Between vengeance and multishot, probably vengeance goes unless you have high cdr. The cooldown is too long imo and the effect of "increasing your damage a lot for hard fights" is replicated by just dropping sentries which do a ton of sustained damage as long as you stay in one spot(like rift bosses).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The chains from sentry also can not crit, so that rune blows pretty badly.
Isn't this just the usual thing where since it hits multiple times a second it's considered a dot so it never display crits, but instead the number shown is all the various hits every .5seconds and the crits are simply added to the total? I didn't test that but it happens with a lot of stuff like channels, like disintegrate and ray of frost and I believe rapid fire too(but I haven't used that much either). Those don't show crits but crit fine, you'll see it due to huge variance in ticks by removing your weapon crit dmg rune for example, or in the case of the DH for a cheaper experiment, using a xbow and the archery passive.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Helltrapper is, simply put, not a particularly good weapon--it's just a fairly easy to get one, with a little cache luck. It's a stepping stone to any of the half dozen or so weapons that are actually worth using in the long term. You definitely should not base your active skills around having it. Traps got nerfed into the ground a long time ago, the only good caltrop rune is the crit one that you have to stand in (which doesn't lend itself to a proc'ed version), and sentry is a waste of a skill slot because by the time you set up more than one of them you could have killed everything using a better skill.

I'd also strongly advise against playing a DH like it's a wizard. DH is all about mobility, and not using Vault/Tumble is a huge mistake.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Isn't this just the usual thing where since it hits multiple times a second it's considered a dot so it never display crits, but instead the number shown is all the various hits every .5seconds and the crits are simply added to the total? I didn't test that but it happens with a lot of stuff like channels, like disintegrate and ray of frost and I believe rapid fire too(but I haven't used that much either). Those don't show crits but crit fine, you'll see it due to huge variance in ticks by removing your weapon crit dmg rune for example, or in the case of the DH for a cheaper experiment, using a xbow and the archery passive.
That could be possible, I do know the damage was unimpressive though and as pyros said the leash distance to make a chain from the sentry is pretty short, which isn't very helpful with a class that moves around so much.

Helltrapper is, simply put, not a good weapon--it's just a fairly easy to get one, with a little cache luck. It's a stepping stone to any of the half dozen or so weapons that are actually worth using in the long term. You definitely should not base your active skills around having it. Traps got nerfed into the ground a long time ago, the only good caltrop rune is the crit one that you have to stand in (which doesn't lend itself to a proc'ed version), and sentry is a waste of a skill slot because by the time you set up more than one of them you could have killed everything using a better skill.
Yeah, its why I can't get behind sentry, waiting 6s inbetween placing sentries is an eternity, and even if you stack cdr waiting 3s to cast another sentry is pretty retarded when I can just kill the mob in 3s. They really need to change it to charges like a monks dashing strike.

I think helltrapper is a solid weapon though, I think ideally most people will want calamity/natalya's, but helltrapper and danetta's w/ the stun rune are the next best ones.

Crone

Shoutout to fletch101! He's a true bro!!

Joined up a T1 rift group, and right as I join, he asks if I have Mask of Jeram yet, and I'm like no.
frown.png
frown.png
then he's like you do now! I assume he had an extra, but my pets are loving it!!

Thanks!

Went back to my WD from my Monk over the weekend, and I'm loving it. My WD is melting faces, and can solo T3 Rifts for the most part. Rocking it big time. Using a split cold/fire build currently. Have +30% fire damage, and so Searing Locusts, Fire zombie dogs, and Firebombs with Prygeist rune. Then for cold using Frozen Piranhas and Haunt.

Build isn't bursty, but T1 just melts, literally, just a fast stream of health down... lol. It's awesome.

Crone - Community - Diablo III

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
"melt" is essentially useless now. What people consider fast is too subjective. I have a hard time believing a pet/dot build "melts" anything, especially without T&T. It may kill quick, but the setup time of getting your pets on the right targets and getting the dot spread is going to hamper your overall clear speed. Like wizards built for dps and then they just trudge around from pack to pack at regular run speed.

Crone

I agree. My monk, through gear I got was pretty tanky, but DPS wasn't that great, and it was more bursty... mobs health would barely move, then move a bunch based I assume on a Lashing Tail Kick big crit.

For my WD, it's much faster, and it's not bursty, the health bar just melts down, and to me it's pretty fast.

But you are right, it is subjective. I'm not using a full pet build, and I do not have T&T gloves. Having fun either way, and glad I'm back to my WD.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pets and Dots is a bad bad mix, you have to commit all physical + fetish dmg or go all cold / DoT build bro.

WD's are the kings of solo dps man, nothing even comes close to those pets even without Zuni you'll melt T5 bosses within 10 seconds with BBV and group cooldowns on them.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Pets and Dots is a bad bad mix, you have to commit all physical + fetish dmg or go all cold / DoT build bro.

WD's are the kings of solo dps man, nothing even comes close to those pets even without Zuni you'll melt T5 bosses within 10 seconds with BBV and group cooldowns on them.
was a little silly last night how fast the bosses were dropping due to the extra crit hit, and constant 80% crit chance from the crusaders.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
WD's are the kings of solo dps man
group cooldowns
Look, I'm not doubting WDs can kill fast. Post some youtubes please, the ones I've found has left me dubious to the claims of THE best. For all the burst they have on bosses(they do), they lose too much time on poor mobility between packs and inefficient killing of trash. While pets do hit like a truck now, most of it is single target and prevents trash from clumping up, thus reducing the efficacy of whatever spells you may be casting. At least, I hope you're not just watching your pets kill...zzzzzzzz.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
A lot of people just dont run with good WD's is all, I could give a fuck less what peoples opinions are. Just trying to tell my bro Crone the way the WD's who know how to play gear. WD mobility is fine with spirit walk and grave injustice, dont get trolled.

@Teck, thats why I ask to handle the crit cooldowns =p. I know when he is going to burn so I time my CD's with him so we dont have to kill T5 bosses. He solos them for us in 5 seconds like you were seeing. Basically we handle the AE trash, he melts the rest.